Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    What our Admin has said as long as we have access we will remain independent. If that access goes away(Conference Champs only model) then we will join in full. Unless they change that model that it's conference champs only then we're fine. The SEC won't go for a Conference only model and ND will support it also. And absolutely without a shadow of doubt IF we need to join in full it will be the ACC. I just don't think it will happen.

The Big Ten knows that the ship has sailed in regards to us. And I think MAJOR realignment is done for the next ten yrs or so. And you're correct that I was SHOCKED that we joined the ACC for a 5 game commitment. But I don't read into that commitment to mean we will join in full anytime soon. Google ND to Big 10, ACC Big 12 even SEC their has been people writing that ND was going to join this or that conference. It goes back 30-40 years of these predictions of our independence crumbling.
    I think another thing that might make Notre Dame decide they need to join the ACC full time is if other major conferences decide they will no longer schedule them. If the B1G and Pac-12 teams decide they no longer want to play Notre Dame, they will lose the games every year with Stanford and USC, and there 1 or 2 games every year with a couple of B1G schools. If they can't find any decent replacement opponents, then they might just say to themselves "Well, we need another 3 or 4 decent football opponents every year, but no major conference teams will play us. I guess we should probably just play an extra 3 or 4 games a year in the ACC."

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    I think another thing that might make Notre Dame decide they need to join the ACC full time is if other major conferences decide they will no longer schedule them. If the B1G and Pac-12 teams decide they no longer want to play Notre Dame, they will lose the games every year with Stanford and USC, and there 1 or 2 games every year with a couple of B1G schools. If they can't find any decent replacement opponents, then they might just say to themselves "Well, we need another 3 or 4 decent football opponents every year, but no major conference teams will play us. I guess we should probably just play an extra 3 or 4 games a year in the ACC."
    USC would never cancel us.. We were the main reason the Big 10 Pac 10 agreement fell through. USC and Stanford wanted to make sure and keep the ND game... The Big 10 we're slowly but surely walking away from and are scheduling other teams in their place. We have 5 games ACC, USC,NAVY,Stanford. Plus we will rotate MSU or Purdue. Or keep them both. So every year we only have to worry about scheduling 4 games max. Most years it will be 2 games that we have to be concerned about filling if we MSU and Purdue regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    interesting. Miami (OH) and Ohio have decent academic profiles. If you are into USNWR rankings, they are 77 and 115 respectively.
    It would be confusing having 2 Miamis. Ohio U even looks like an ACC campus architecturally. Kind of like Wake Forest or UVa. Athens, Ohio is in the boonies, even more so than Blacksburg. It's half the population of Blacksburg. They have 25,000 students.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    neither does anyone but Texas at this point...

UConn = Cincy = Tulane = WVU = Temple IMO

we may view WVU a little better regionally, as a former rival and all, but i don't think they will move the needle much nationally from a competitive point of view. basically, we need ND all in + 1 of the above if we only go to 16. we only get Texas if we go to 20, in which case, we still take 1-3 of the above.

we're not getting anyone from the B1G or the SEC, so it's AAC or Big12 for our talent pool.
    I love this post. You get it!

The issue now is that Texas is the target, and whatever they want goes within reason. They will want Texas Tech, which is fine. Baylor has more clout. So we'll see. The ACC only needs 2 from Texas.

I don't have any go ahead info that this is happening. It's just preparation for the new ones here.

This part needs discusion about what is wrong with each candiate:

UConn: Filed a lawsuit against the ACC. Blumenthal called Father Leahy, John Swofford, and Donna Shalala criminals. UConn has not met NCAA academic stanards as a basketball program.

Temple: Very bad fan apathy about the football program in the 90s. Could not get the A10 programs moved over for full membership until recently. Then Villanove left. Have not had football and basketball in the same league until AAC.

West Virginia: Fans threw batteries and urine at our fans in Morgantown during last visit. All visits are not fan friendly depending on who it is, especially VT and WV. WV fans are responsible for the demise of the UVA pep band. Not a big deal to anyone else, but a no vote. Tobacco Road has no interest to travel their even though we're going to Pittsburgh. More politics required here if necessary.

Cincinnati: Have no information. Need Hokie input. They are not that perfect.

Tulane: Point shaving in the 80s. I have no knowlesge other than these reports. I think that's old news. Need to assess current value as well as potential.
    Last edited by HOO86; Thu Aug 08 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I love this post. You get it!

The issue now is that Texas is the target, and whatever they want goes within reason. They will want Texas Tech, which is fine. Baylor has more clout. So we'll see. The ACC only needs 2 from Texas.

I don't have any go ahead that this is happening. It's just preparation for the new ones here.

This part needs discusion about what is wrong with each candiate:

UConn: Filed a lawsut against the ACC. Blumenthal called Father Leahy, John Swofford, and Donna Shalala criminals. UConn has not met NCAA academic stanards as a basketball program.

Temple: Very bad fan apathy about the football program in the 90s. Could not get the A10 programs moved over for full membership until recently. Then Villanove left. Have not had football and basketball in the same league until AAC.

West Virginia: Fans threw batteries and urine at our fans in Morgantown during last viet. All visits are not fan friendly depending on who it is, especially VT and WV. WV fans are responsible for the demise of the UVA pep band. Not a big deal to anyone else, but a no vote. Tobacco Road has no interest to travel ther even though we're going to Pittsburgh. More politics required her if necessary.

Cincinnati: Have no information. Need Hokie input. They are not that perfect.

Tulane: Point shaving in the 80s. I have no knowlesge other than these reprts. I think that's old news. Need to assess current value as well as totential.
    I have followed this board for awhile and I know you are privy to some information that is not public. SO with that said are you saying Texas and the gang are a possibility or talking?

One thing I know about ND their is little to no leaks out of the admin.

Thanks

USC would never cancel us.. We were the main reason the Big 10 Pac 10 agreement fell through. USC and Stanford wanted to make sure and keep the ND game... The Big 10 we're slowly but surely walking away from and are scheduling other teams in their place. We have 5 games ACC, USC,NAVY,Stanford. Plus we will rotate MSU or Purdue. Or keep them both. So every year we only have to worry about scheduling 4 games max. Most years it will be 2 games that we have to be concerned about filling if we MSU and Purdue regular.
    Oh I agree that USC and Stanford will probably not want to stop their annual ND game. The question is whether the Pac-12 would try to force them to stop. If the Pac-12/B1G scheduling agreement somehow was resurrected, the conferences might not allow them to play Notre Dame any longer.

I don't think this scenario is all that likely, but it certainly would put additional pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Oh I agree that USC and Stanford will probably not want to stop their annual ND game. The question is whether the Pac-12 would try to force them to stop. If the Pac-12/B1G scheduling agreement somehow was resurrected, the conferences might not allow them to play Notre Dame any longer.

I don't think this scenario is all that likely, but it certainly would put additional pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference.
    The only thing that has we wondering is what will the D4 be like if they go through on this proposal that has been batted around by the conference commissioners. I think they will allow independents still just curious on the details..

The scenario you put together is possible but Very remote. USC and Stanford run that conference. Stanford Academically and USC on the field. SO I really don't see any thing else forcing us unless the consolidation makes it very, very difficult to be an independent.

Interesting thoughts on this board and I appreciate the discussion.

And I would think that the Pac12 would want as much exposure in the east and nationally as possible. And nothing accomplished this like playing ND. On whole, ND-USC is the most important non-conference game in the country. It's good for the entire Pac12 in my view.
    The only thing that has we wondering is what will the D4 be like if they go through on this proposal that has been batted around by the conference commissioners. I think they will allow independents still just curious on the details..

The scenario you put together is possible but Very remote. USC and Stanford run that conference. Stanford Academically and USC on the field. SO I really don't see any thing else forcing us unless the consolidation makes it very, very difficult to be an independent.

Interesting thoughts on this board and I appreciate the discussion.

I have followed this board for awhile and I know you are privy to some information that is not public. SO with that said are you saying Texas and the gang are a possibility or talking?

One thing I know about ND their is little to no leaks out of the admin.

Thanks
    I wish I knew something, but I don't. What I am told is that the 4X4x4 committee for expansion within the ACC is still in place and active. I don't know what they will do now with 15 members instead of 12. That committee has done this analysis and is taking input from the ACC television network subcommittee, which consists of the ADs at Clemson, Duke, and North Carolina.

That committee has analyzed all of the schools we are talking about. Apparently a dozen schools or so have been in communication with the ACC. My contacts won't tell me who. Since the committee has already done all of the analysis, it enabled the ACC to replace Maryland within a week.

Given this, if the ACC council of presidents decide to move on new members, all of the legwork is already done as to who. Unfortunately, no one has shared the list with me. My only "inside" info pertains to UVA and the Big Ten, where I know the two talked and UVA wasn't interested.

Blumenthal called Father Leahy, John Swofford, and Donna Shalala criminals.
    Donna Shalala's not a criminal?? I think that's debatable.

What I am told is that the 4X4X4 committee for expansion in the ACC is still in place and active. I don't know what they will do with 15 members instead of 12.
    5X5X5 committee?