Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    IMO and everything I have gathered is we will not be joining.
    So with that information is the ACC content at 14.5 or does it want to expand to block the Big 10?
    I will venture to guess they stand pat and do nothing. Cincy would be a good add but not a home run. Anything short of adding us in full with a partner is just more mouths to feed. ND has no reason to join and the ACC President's are happy with a Partial ND so I assume we will continue on till the contract comes up. The playoff allows us and entrance into it. We have our schedule set for the foreseeable future. So I see nothing in the near future that will make us want/have to join in full.

I am excited about the arrangement and I hope it works out well for both sides.
    I agree that Notre Dame won't be joining the ACC as a full member anytime soon. I think more pressure will be forced upon Notre Dame to join full-time. I expect the SEC and Big 10 to continue to "hound" about Notre Dame's inexplicable seat at the BCS decision-makings table. I agree with Steve Spurrier's recent comment, “We just started trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all the conference commissioners. Nobody had a good answer except that’s the way it’s always been done." Notre Dame took advantage of the ACC's weakness and found a home for all their other sports. In return, the ACC got what the Big 12 wanted and 5 annual football games with Notre Dame. The ACC also took Notre Dame off the Big 10's expansion wishlist. Notre Dame and the ACC remind me of a dysfunctional marriage where both use each other in order to get what they want, yet won't file for divorce because of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I agree that Notre Dame won't be joining the ACC as a full member anytime soon. I think more pressure will be forced upon Notre Dame to join full-time. I expect the SEC and Big 10 to continue to "hound" about Notre Dame's inexplicable seat at the BCS decision-makings table. I agree with Steve Spurrier's recent comment, [B]“We just started trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all the conference commissioners. Nobody had a good answer except that’s the way it’s always been done." [/B] Notre Dame took advantage of the ACC's weakness and found a home for all their other sports. In return, the ACC got what the Big 12 wanted and 5 annual football games with Notre Dame. The ACC also took Notre Dame off the Big 10's expansion wishlist. Notre Dame and the ACC remind me of a dysfunctional marriage where both use each other in order to get what they want, yet won't file for divorce because of fear.
    I agree with most of what you wrote. The only thing is I will be concerned when I hear AD's or President's complaining about our sit at the table. Right now it's coaches that are bitching and that vote means very little.

I agree with the part in bold. We took advantage of the situation. But the ACC also gained a lot from us. We have given control to almost half of our schedule to the ACC. Which may not seem like a big deal but really is a big deal. So in my mind it was/is a win-win for both parties. ANd I know MANY ACC fans aren't happy with the arrangement but I think it may grow on you as time goes on. Or maybe it won't,maybe resentment will grow toward us and it will become a toxic relationship. Who knows.

Why not just take Ohio U. if the ACC is going into Ohio. Ohio U probably has a statewide fan base and more potential in the long-run than UC. UC is regional. Ohio U is a state university that knows how to party. Plus Ohio U is a 3.5 hour drive from Blacksburg and 3 hours from Pittsburgh. Plus the ACC needs a school with a new color like green. Miami only has a little bit of green in their uniforms.
    I actually looked at them because of the Name recognition. They are in Athens, Ohio. They are a large school. Their football stadium is kind of small, but so it Cincinnati's. I don't really know that Cincinnati brings much more to the table. I also don't know if Ohio is interested in leaving the Mid American Conference. They are a founding member and seem content there.

Why not just take Ohio U. if the ACC is going into Ohio. Ohio U probably has a statewide fan base and more potential in the long-run than UC. UC is regional. Ohio U is a state university that knows how to party. Plus Ohio U is a 3.5 hour drive from Blacksburg and 3 hours from Pittsburgh. Plus the ACC needs a school with a new color like green. Miami only has a little bit of green in their uniforms.
    Having lived in Ohio I would agree with this. There are tons of Ohio alums that are OSU fans because that's the big dog in the state. Ohio isn't a viable competitor because they're in the MAC. Given the opportunity they could be big time. It's also a large state research university. The exact company VT wants to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Having lived in Ohio I would agree with this. There are tons of Ohio alums that are OSU fans because that's the big dog in the state. Ohio isn't a viable competitor because they're in the MAC. Given the opportunity they could be big time. It's also a large state research university. The exact company VT wants to be around.
    I worked in Newark (Nerk) Ohio right out of Tech and I knew a lot of Ohio U and OSU grads but when it came to football, it was all Buckeyes. I was amazed at the local TV coverage in Columbus the Friday before the season opener. Every channel had hours of Buckeye coverage and this was back in 1986 before college football got wacky. I also agree that Ohio U has potential. Being 3.5 hours from Tech would make them a rival over time.

Before too long every team will have to be in one of the Big Conferences to get to the National Football Championship. Notre Dame has said repeatedly if that day comes they will join a conference. Now they are saying that conference is the ACC.

The B1G 10 now has litlle to no hope of getting ND and the SEC now has little to no hope of getting VT and either UNC or NCSU too. That resets the deck for ND. I know you don't believe me, but last year this time you didn't think ND would join the ACC for all sports and sign a 5 game football agreement with the ACC either. The trend my ND freind is there if you want to see it.

I agree with most of what you wrote. The only thing is I will be concerned when I hear AD's or President's complaining about our sit at the table. Right now it's coaches that are bitching and that vote means very little.

I agree with the part in bold. We took advantage of the situation. But the ACC also gained a lot from us. We have given control to almost half of our schedule to the ACC. Which may not seem like a big deal but really is a big deal. So in my mind it was/is a win-win for both parties. ANd I know MANY ACC fans aren't happy with the arrangement but I think it may grow on you as time goes on. Or maybe it won't,maybe resentment will grow toward us and it will become a toxic relationship. Who knows.

Why would the Irish share revenue equally with Wake, BC, and Syracuse?

Notre Dame would be nuts to put itself on equal revenue footing with so many weak ACC programs.

Your only concern is if Texas makes a move to the ACC, especially if it involves 4-5 B12 schools. With that muscle, the ACC doesn't need Notre Dame. Of course, and move by UT might be contingent on Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Before too long every team will have to be in one of the Big Conferences to get to the National Football Championship. Notre Dame has said repeatedly if that day comes they will join a conference. Now they are saying that conference is the ACC.

The B1G 10 now has litlle to no hope of getting ND and the SEC now has little to no hope of getting VT and either UNC or NCSU too. That resets the deck for ND. I know you don't believe me, but last year this time you didn't think ND would join the ACC for all sports and sign a 5 game football agreement with the ACC either. The trend my ND freind is there if you want to see it.
    What our Admin has said as long as we have access we will remain independent. If that access goes away(Conference Champs only model) then we will join in full. Unless they change that model that it's conference champs only then we're fine. The SEC won't go for a Conference only model and ND will support it also. And absolutely without a shadow of doubt IF we need to join in full it will be the ACC. I just don't think it will happen.

The Big Ten knows that the ship has sailed in regards to us. And I think MAJOR realignment is done for the next ten yrs or so. And you're correct that I was SHOCKED that we joined the ACC for a 5 game commitment. But I don't read into that commitment to mean we will join in full anytime soon. Google ND to Big 10, ACC Big 12 even SEC their has been people writing that ND was going to join this or that conference. It goes back 30-40 years of these predictions of our independence crumbling.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Wed Aug 07 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Disagree. If a 4-team tourney includes conference champs only, it makes the OOC exhibition games. I also don't see things evening out at 4 conferences any time soon. I doubt ND ends up in the ACC or any other conference for football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

interesting. Miami (OH) and Ohio have decent academic profiles. If you are into USNWR rankings, they are 77 and 115 respectively.