Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

You think UC sent this on a plaque to Greensboro?

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.aspx?id=18...medium=twitter

I think they will be #16 if/when ND joins. will we go beyond with UConn to block further B1G expansion east? i don't know, but i think Cincy is next in line at this point. they seem to be doing all the right things to put themselves at the top of the list.

they will help with ND, Pitt, and L'ville's travel burdens for non-rev sports, they give us further encroachment into B1G territory, and they have a massive endowment, huge research budget, and are now gaining respect as a top undergraduate university. it's all coming together for them.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post

I think they will be #16 if/when ND joins. will we go beyond with UConn to block further B1G expansion east? i don't know, but i think Cincy is next in line at this point. they seem to be doing all the right things to put themselves at the top of the list.

they will help with ND, Pitt, and L'ville's travel burdens for non-rev sports, they give us further encroachment into B1G territory, and they have a massive endowment, huge research budget, and are now gaining respect as a top undergraduate university. it's all coming together for them.
    I still think the outcome starts with a vertical line drawn from Chicago to Austin. You then fill in what is needed to get national distribution on the cable/satellite systems, and build geographical pods for lack of better wordl. This is what you get:

North: ND, UL,Pitt,Syracuse,BC
    Mid Atlantic: VT, UVA, UNC,NCSU, Duke
    South Atlantic: Wake,Clemson,GT,FSU,Miami
    Gulf: Texas,Baylor,OU,OSU,Tulane

You just covered 1/2 of the US and most of the population with the exception of the Pacific Coast.

Big deal ... one of the 378 best colleges in the country. That covers a lot of ground.

WVU is on the list too. Might be time to invite the Mountaineers and lock up the Morgantown market

Here is a complete list fwiw

http://www.princetonreview.com/rankingsbest.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    Big deal ... one of the 378 best colleges in the country. That covers a lot of ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    WVU is on the list too. Might be time to invite the Mountaineers and lock up the Morgantown market

Here is a complete list fwiw

http://www.princetonreview.com/rankingsbest.aspx
    WVU has half the endowment and competes in 2 less sports than Cincinnati.

Also, i don't know how respected the London Times rankings are, but they REALLY like UC!

from wikipedia:

The university has dozens of highly ranked programs. The Princeton Review listed the university in its "Best 373 Colleges" in 2011 and the London (UK) Times ranked the University of Cincinnati 190th among all the universities in the world, 69th among United States universities and 28th among public U.S. universities in 2011. Additionally, the influential Academic Ranking of World Universities, published by Shanghai Jiaotong University, ranks the University of Cincinnati in the top 300 of more than 2,500 ranked worldwide and the top 100 of American universities. In the 2013 US News and World Report, UC was ranked as the 139th best university in the US and as the 70th best public institution.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

If you go by USN&WR academic ranking UConn is 63, Temple is 125, and Cincinnati is 139.

Regarding encroaching in Big Ten Territory, the ACC did that with Notre Dame. The ACC can further do that by adding Penn State or Ohio State. Adding Cincinnati or Temple would be viewed by the Big Ten with apathy. Those schools can help the ACC get a Network distributed in some Big Ten areas that the Big Ten is already well established in. But they don't bother the Big Ten.

Connecticut is different. Adding them keeps the Big Ten out of an area that the ACC thinks is ACC terrritory (i.e. New England).

All joking aside, I have no problem with UC being in the ACC. Any school that had Neil Armstrong teaching there is OK in my book. My only concern, as I mentioned earlier, is the lack of bigtime opponents in the ACC. And Cincy doesn't help on that end.
    WVU has half the endowment and competes in 2 less sports than Cincinnati.

Also, i don't know how respected the London Times rankings are, but they REALLY like UC!

from wikipedia:

The university has dozens of highly ranked programs. The Princeton Review listed the university in its "Best 373 Colleges" in 2011 and the London (UK) Times ranked the University of Cincinnati 190th among all the universities in the world, 69th among United States universities and 28th among public U.S. universities in 2011. Additionally, the influential Academic Ranking of World Universities, published by Shanghai Jiaotong University, ranks the University of Cincinnati in the top 300 of more than 2,500 ranked worldwide and the top 100 of American universities. In the 2013 US News and World Report, UC was ranked as the 139th best university in the US and as the 70th best public institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    All joking aside, I have no problem with UC being in the ACC. Any school that had Neil Armstrong teaching there is OK in my book. My only concern, as I mentioned earlier, is the lack of bigtime opponents in the ACC. And Cincy doesn't help on that end.
    neither does anyone but Texas at this point...

UConn = Cincy = Tulane = WVU = Temple IMO

we may view WVU a little better regionally, as a former rival and all, but i don't think they will move the needle much nationally from a competitive point of view. basically, we need ND all in + 1 of the above if we only go to 16. we only get Texas if we go to 20, in which case, we still take 1-3 of the above.

we're not getting anyone from the B1G or the SEC, so it's AAC or Big12 for our talent pool.

Why not just take Ohio U. if the ACC is going into Ohio. Ohio U probably has a statewide fan base and more potential in the long-run than UC. UC is regional. Ohio U is a state university that knows how to party. Plus Ohio U is a 3.5 hour drive from Blacksburg and 3 hours from Pittsburgh. Plus the ACC needs a school with a new color like green. Miami only has a little bit of green in their uniforms.

IMO and everything I have gathered is we will not be joining.
    So with that information is the ACC content at 14.5 or does it want to expand to block the Big 10?
    I will venture to guess they stand pat and do nothing. Cincy would be a good add but not a home run. Anything short of adding us in full with a partner is just more mouths to feed. ND has no reason to join and the ACC President's are happy with a Partial ND so I assume we will continue on till the contract comes up. The playoff allows us and entrance into it. We have our schedule set for the foreseeable future. So I see nothing in the near future that will make us want/have to join in full.

I am excited about the arrangement and I hope it works out well for both sides.