Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Here's Notre Dame's radio network coverage for football. Basketball only covers northern Indiana and northern Illinois (total of 4 radio stations). They also have an affiliate in New York City (Catholic Channel).

http://www.ispsports.com/radio-netwo...fm?pid=61&type

Don Criqui gets around.

Notre Dame's flagship station is WLS in Chicago. Notre Dame is 95 miles (1.5 hours) east of downtown Chicago. The University of Illinois is 136 miles south (2 hours) of Chicago. They also have a large alumni base there. Numerous radio stations throughout the state broadcast Notre Dame football while Chicago, Rockford, and Michigan City, IN broadcast Irish hoops too. Notre Dame even hosted Miami at Soldier Field last season. Notre Dame's following in Chicagoland is much greater than Philadelphia, Baltimore, and south Jersey. Notre Dame is one of Chicago's college teams.
    Right, but is the ACC's Raycom package going to be picked up in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Right, but is the ACC's Raycom package going to be picked up in Chicago?
    Good question. I doubt any of the 2 or 3 ACC games (not including the 2 or 3 NBC games) would be shown on Raycom's 12:30 Saturday afternoon broadcast. Raycom could show Irish hoops but I have a feeling it would be on a cable sports channel, not a local channel unless they're on some obscure channel like MyTV or MeTV.

We already have 2 too many schools that play in NFL stadiums. Don't need a third. Especially one that can't even come close to filling the place. They even had empty seats when Penn State came calling. And most of those fans were rooting for PSU.

I use this as a rule of thumb: if a team can't attract people to come to their home games, they aren't going to attract people to watch them on TV (Miami might be the exception). And ultimately, eyes on the product are going to be what those controlling the TV dollars will be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    To me, much depends on whether the "Grand Plan" is to top out at 16 or to go to 20.

If it is to top out at 16, I'd have a thorough analysis done between Connecticut and Temple in terms of potential impact in each area. Connecticut's solidification of New England and New York City would be analyzed. Connecticut is the better academic institution and bigger and more successful current athletic department. It has a national brand in men's and women's basketball.

Temple has an athletic department in about the same shape as Georgia Tech did when Georgia Tech joined the ACC. The ACC added Georgia Tech to incorporate Atlanta at the time. It would add Temple to incorporate the Philadelphia area for the same reason. Temple would have to show progress on their development of athletics. I think they are investing pretty heavily in facitilies at the moment especially for football. The analysis would have to size up the Philadelphia DMA and potential for penetration. Temple does not have the national brand that UConn has. Temple is a regional brand in basketball having been in the Atlantic 10.

If the plan is to go to 20, I'd take both. Then I'd look toward 3 additions potentially with Texas and 2 friends. That's where the discussion we've had the past 2 weeks comes into play.

The Cincinnati analysis needs to be done too as a third option to UConn and Temple. I lean toward UConn and Temple because we are supposed to be the Atlantic Coast Conference. Cincinnati seems midwest to me. But Louisville would want them included in the analysis, and the ACC should analyse what it could gain in Ohio.

I've come to the conclusion that Navy may help get Notre Dame easier being outside the ACC than inside the ACC. Notre Dame wants to play in markets all over the country. It is the primary reason that they don't want to join a conference in football. Navy is a school that also has a national brand and will play Notre Dame anywhere Notre Dame wants to play. They just played them in Dublin, Ireland last season. This would help enable Notre Dame to play in markets like Denver, Seattle, Dallas, San Diego, etc. or anywhere. That could not be done if Navy were in the ACC. They would be playing in Annapolis, MD unless the ACC changes the home stadium rules.

Choices. Choices. That's what makes this fun. At least it doesn't look like the ACC will be losing anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    We already have 2 too many schools that play in NFL stadiums. Don't need a third. Especially one that can't even come close to filling the place. They even had empty seats when Penn State came calling. And most of those fans were rooting for PSU.

I use this as a rule of thumb: if a team can't attract people to come to their home games, they aren't going to attract people to watch them on TV (Miami might be the exception). And ultimately, eyes on the product are going to be what those controlling the TV dollars will be looking for.
    I hear what you're saying. The Temple deal would be to get the rest of the conference on TV in that market. From what I've been reading, Temple is exploring the idea of an on-campus stadium in the next 10 years like what Tulane is now building. It would address that issue. The ACC would only add Temple to get the ACC Network distributed by the cable providers in Philadelphia or to get the local sports nets to pick up the ACC Raycom package. There are other more deserving options like South Florida and Central Florida who have fast growing programs, or East Carolina that has an average attendance of 50,000 for each game. The ACC just doesn't need those TV markets. It is somewhat of a shame that we're running athletic conferences like a TV network, but in reality that is exactly what's happening.

Regarding NFL stadiums, it is preferred to have an on-campus stadium. But the kids like playing in NFL stadiums. They like going into NFL locker rooms. Tulane and Cincinnati would be interesting because both will have on campus stadiums, and both will have access to NFL stadiums in their towns for bigger games. If Temple does the same, more the better. I don't see any traction at Miami and Pitt to do so.

I think knowing what the network needs the most to get distribution should help sort out the candidates. If we decide on the Texas and Oklahoma type options who fill up stadiums, I understand it. I'd be fine with it. I just see some holes in the coverage in the east where we are supposed to be the game in town. It's almost like an incomplete project.

Yeah, for me playing in an NFL stadium is a non-starter wrt an ACC invite. It makes me less excited about the Pitt addition. And what really pisses me off, is that the ACC suits put Miami and Pitt in the same division...turrible.

I didn't know Temple was planning to build an on campus stadium. It's not in the best of neighborhoods for that sort of thing in more ways than one. But more power to 'em. I hope they pull it off. I always had a soft spot for Temple.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I hear what you're saying. The Temple deal would be to get the rest of the conference on TV in that market. From what I've been reading, Temple is exploring the idea of an on-campus stadium in the next 10 years like what Tulane is now building. It would address that issue. The ACC would only add Temple to get the ACC Network distributed by the cable providers in Philadelphia or to get the local sports nets to pick up the ACC Raycom package. There are other more deserving options like South Florida and Central Florida who have fast growing programs, or East Carolina that has an average attendance of 50,000 for each game. The ACC just doesn't need those TV markets. It is somewhat of a shame that we're running athletic conferences like a TV network, but in reality that is exactly what's happening.

Regarding NFL stadiums, it is preferred to have an on-campus stadium. But the kids like playing in NFL stadiums. They like going into NFL locker rooms. Tulane and Cincinnati would be interesting because both will have on campus stadiums, and both will have access to NFL stadiums in their towns for bigger games. If Temple does the same, more the better. I don't see any traction at Miami and Pitt to do so.

I think knowing what the network needs the most to get distribution should help sort out the candidates. If we decide on the Texas and Oklahoma type options who fill up stadiums, I understand it. I'd be fine with it. I just see some holes in the coverage in the east where we are supposed to be the game in town. It's almost like an incomplete project.

Yeah, for me playing in an NFL stadium is a non-starter wrt an ACC invite. It makes me less excited about the Pitt addition. And what really pisses me off, is that the ACC suits put Miami and Pitt in the same division...turrible.

I didn't know Temple was planning to build an on campus stadium. It's not in the best of neighborhoods for that sort of thing in more ways than one. But more power to 'em. I hope they pull it off. I always had a soft spot for Temple.
    Pitt doesn't have any large lots on/near campus that can fit a 40,000+ seat football stadium. Heinz Field is their best option by a mile. Maybe Pitt can tear down a few old buildings? There's a nice middle school lot with a football field a few blocks north of campus. Nearby Carnegie Mellon U has a athletics field. I doubt they can use any nearby parks. At this point, if Pitt built their own stadium, it would be off-campus like Heinz Field. That's one of the downfalls of having an urban campus.

Pitt doesn't have any large lots on/near campus that can fit a 40,000+ seat football stadium. Heinz Field is their best option by a mile. Maybe Pitt can tear down a few old buildings? There's a nice middle school lot with a football field a few blocks north of campus. Nearby Carnegie Mellon U has a athletics field. I doubt they can use any nearby parks. At this point, if Pitt built their own stadium, it would be off-campus like Heinz Field. That's one of the downfalls of having an urban campus.

Don't the Steelers technically play in a college stadium every bit as much as the Panthers play in an NFL stadium? i thought they co-owned (or co-leased) the stadium equally.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Temple hasn't pulled the trigger on an on-campus football stadium, but there is a lot of chatter about it. The President at Temple is talking about it. Their contract with the Philadelphia Eagles goes through 2018, so they are researching the idea now. Here's an article from earlier this year where their President mentioned it. He wants to raise Temple's athletic profile. They just renovated their football facility for the team.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-1...t-keith-pompey

Here's the new football facility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CmQsJYSJE8