Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When it was announced that the GOR's were signed some of us said "why" would eventually come out...this article tells the "why" schools signed the GOR's. It is not if we get an ACC Network...it is when will we get an ACC Network. Also, like the SEC the ACC thinks ESPN is the king maker in sports. They have proven it time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Interesting article form yesterday's Charlotte Observer.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...not-basic.html

Spot on as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    Here is the key paragraph in that article...

“All of our conversations are about distribution of the product, and how do you actualize revenue, how do you actualize distribution,” Cunningham said. “So I don’t think it was really any different than it’s been the last couple of years other than I think the channel or network is basically the delivery of ACC content in whatever fashion that is going forward.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Like I said...it is all about distribution in order to monetize the content.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Difference is, we had to compensate for an awful original contract by giving our Tier 3 stuff away when renegotiations occurred.
    The ACC didn't give away anything. They just like the SEC at the time concluded running your own network was too risky a proposition. They sold the rights upfront and expect to have exposure through ESPN's multiple platforms. I've watched ACC track events, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, softball etc, etc. on various ESPN networks so that exposure is happening and benefits the ACC. It just isn't 100% dedicated to the ACC, we provide inventory along with their other holdings to supply 24/7 , 365 day content for ESPN. That is a lot of hours to try to keep things fresh and interesting and IMHO they fail because I'm subjected to prime time poker and chainsaw competitions which really pushes the notion of sports in general.

The Big 10 is rolling in the money now but it wasn't an instant success. They started in 2007 and it took 4 years to really get rolling. 2009-2010 were SEC and ACC renegotiating periods and neither conference saw the Big 10 network as a model to emulate thus they sold the rights deliberately and thoughtfully with the best information at hand. Yeah, now 20/20 hindsight says they made the wrong move.

The real problem with trying to assess the financial return is so much bravado enters the equation. Mines bigger than yours mentality dominates the reporting by every conference commissioner. The PAC 12 commissioner Scott is the king of hyperbole and bluster. I'm skeptical of anything he says unless backed up by an independent audit.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    The ACC didn't give away anything. They just like the SEC at the time concluded running your own network was too risky a proposition. They sold the rights upfront and expect to have exposure through ESPN's multiple platforms. I've watched ACC track events, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, softball etc, etc. on various ESPN networks so that exposure is happening and benefits the ACC. It just isn't 100% dedicated to the ACC, we provide inventory along with their other holdings to supply 24/7 , 365 day content for ESPN. That is a lot of hours to try to keep things fresh and interesting and IMHO they fail because I'm subjected to prime time poker and chainsaw competitions which really pushes the notion of sports in general.

The Big 10 is rolling in the money now but it wasn't an instant success. They started in 2007 and it took 4 years to really get rolling. 2009-2010 were SEC and ACC renegotiating periods and neither conference saw the Big 10 network as a model to emulate thus they sold the rights deliberately and thoughtfully with the best information at hand. Yeah, now 20/20 hindsight says they made the wrong move.

The real problem with trying to assess the financial return is so much bravado enters the equation. Mines bigger than yours mentality dominates the reporting by every conference commissioner. The PAC 12 commissioner Scott is the king of hyperbole and bluster. I'm skeptical of anything he says unless backed up by an independent audit.
    Most of TSL noticed when the Tier 3 stuff was included in this RECENT contract renegotiation. And that was conducted in 2011 AFTER the B1GNetwork was already making major coin. We discussed the "issues" with that here quite a bit and I would imagine 3/4 of this board's posters would have not "thrown in" the rights into that contract. Anyhow, the exposure the ACC is getting compared to the Pac12 is a joke. They have a reality program following around a couple of Pac12 programs throughout the season. I would LOVE watching that, especially if it were VT. And they do replay games and historic matchups. I LOVE watching old Hokie games every once in a while. If one were on once a week, I would check it out. Anyhow, you are wrong about the hindsight being 20/20. This is just another instance of those in charge of the ACC making a mistake, a mistake that most fairly informed fans wouldn't have made. Same thing with inviting BC and playing that ACCCG in Florida instead of Charlotte for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Thing is, w/ these networks, fball may not be king. Who has the better basketball and olympic sports programming? The ACC, the Pac12, the B1G, or the SEC? Frankly, the ACC w/ Notre Dame wins that race hands down and that's what will be shown on these networks most of the times. Any halfway decent football games aren't going to end up being broadcast on these networks. I could see the replays and historic contests being draws, but the ACC has some historic games available w/ Miami, FSU, and especially w/ ND included.
    Also keep in mind that the Network has to provide content throughout the entire calendar year. The ACC has excellent Basketball that everyone knows, but the ACC also has excellent baseball, softball, lacrosse etc in the spring. All of the ACC Spring football games and events could be shown. The ACC football games can be shown too, but as you mentioned most would not be live.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Also keep in mind that the Network has to provide content throughout the entire calendar year. The ACC has excellent Basketball that everyone knows, but the ACC also has excellent baseball, softball, lacrosse etc in the spring. All of the ACC Spring football games and events could be shown. The ACC football games can be shown too, but as you mentioned most would not be live.
    while olympic sports and bball may make the network what it is, football is what will get it carriage. being able to put a handful of premier games on the network (which is why ESPN being a partner in the network is key) is what will make fans who don't have it scream and yell until they get it. same could be said about some bball, but not to the same extent, mainly because there are so many bball games (fans less upset if they miss 1).

LAX and baseball may end up being the 2 most watched sports over time on the network, but not enough people will call to complain if they miss a baseball game. only football drives the consumer demand to help land carriage.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Disagree somewhat - ACC BBall will have more outstanding matchups than ACC football. What will make an ACC fan call and complain more - no access to the UNC- LVille football game or the UNC- LVille BBall game?
    Combined with a basketball centric population, I think BBall will be as important to ACCN carriage as football.

Just think about all the BBall matchups - SYR vs Duke vs LVille vs UNC vs Pitt vs State vs ND vs GT - How many NC's and Final fours is that since 2000.
    Compare that to ACC football matchups - FSU vs Miami vs Clemson vs VT vs ND vs LVille. Only ND has been to an MNC game in the last 10 years. The biggest BCS win in that time was by LVille.

BBall is the ACC's strength - use it as a competitive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    while olympic sports and bball may make the network what it is, football is what will get it carriage. being able to put a handful of premier games on the network (which is why ESPN being a partner in the network is key) is what will make fans who don't have it scream and yell until they get it. same could be said about some bball, but not to the same extent, mainly because there are so many bball games (fans less upset if they miss 1).

LAX and baseball may end up being the 2 most watched sports over time on the network, but not enough people will call to complain if they miss a baseball game. only football drives the consumer demand to help land carriage.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Disagree somewhat - ACC BBall will have more outstanding matchups than ACC football. What will make an ACC fan call and complain more - no access to the UNC- LVille football game or the UNC- LVille BBall game?
    Combined with a basketball centric population, I think BBall will be as important to ACCN carriage as football.

Just think about all the BBall matchups - SYR vs Duke vs LVille vs UNC vs Pitt vs State vs ND vs GT - How many NC's and Final fours is that since 2000.
    Compare that to ACC football matchups - FSU vs Miami vs Clemson vs VT vs ND vs LVille. Only ND has been to an MNC game in the last 10 years. The biggest BCS win in that time was by LVille.

BBall is the ACC's strength - use it as a competitive advantage.
    you used a premier bball game to compare to a mediocre football game. how would this hold up if we used FSU-VT or all 2.5 ND games played in ACC stadiums as the games being placed on the ACC Network? still think the UNC-L'ville MBB game would generate more angry callers to the various cable providers? UNC will play L'ville in MBB every year (in addition to 17 other ACC games). FSU will play VT once every 6 years, and also only plays 7 other conference games, not 17. the same could be said about ND for most AC schools...we'll only play them once every 6 years.

putting those high demand football games on the Network will be what drives carriage and favorable carriage rates for the league mosreso than MBB or any other sport.

10% of the content will drive 90% of the demand for the channel when it's all said and done.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post

I don't disagree. Putting a Notre Dame vs Miami football game on the ACC Network exclusively will cause screams. I'm not sure that ABC would want to give that game up though. Replays of it exclusively on the ACC network would be appropriate.

From everything I've been reading, ESPN views the SEC as its most valuable football property. It views the ACC as its most valuable basketball property. They need content in the basketball season because they lost the Catholic 7 to Fox. I know the football faithful don't want to hear that, but if basketball gets the ACC a network, I'm fine with it. It is a real asset that the ACC has. Football will play its part, but basketball may close the deal.

Then of course baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Putting a Notre Dame vs Miami football game on the ACC Network exclusively will cause screams. I'm not sure that ABC would want to give that game up though.
    that's why having ESPN as our ACC Network partner would be key. In order to make money on the ACC Network, Disney will need to get carriage at favorable rates. because of that, they WILL be willing to move premier matchups to the ACC Network (at least initially). imagine a noon Clemson - NCSU game on ABC where they do nothing but hype the 3:30 ND@FSU game on ACC Network (maybe it's on ABC everywhere outside our footprint, but ACC Network inside the footprint).

of course, once carriage is gained, and the money is flowing, they will fill the network with Wake vs 'Cuse games, but initially, Disney will push the issue, i think.