Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ACC Network from Charlotte Observer

Interesting article form yesterday's Charlotte Observer.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...not-basic.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Interesting article form yesterday's Charlotte Observer.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...not-basic.html
    It sounds like the ACC Network is not an IF it will happen but WHEN it will happen proposition.

The ACC and SEC passed on the whole concept a couple of years ago showing how quickly things can change. I think it is smart to allow the SEC/ESPN to work out the bugs before an ACC launch.

I also see why the SEC and ACC aren't playing a 9th intra-league game, YET. Both leagues can use an intra-league game as quality content on their network or use it as collateral to buy back some of the rights.

After seeing how well the BTN became after a year or two, one wonders why we're waiting to be the last with a network. Biggest fear is that cable networks will have developed CNF (collegic network fatigue) by the time the ACC comes calling, and they'll tell us to pound sand (while the BTN, P12N & SECN continues to roll in the cash).

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    It sounds like the ACC Network is not an IF it will happen but WHEN it will happen proposition.

The ACC and SEC passed on the whole concept a couple of years ago showing how quickly things can change. I think it is smart to allow the SEC/ESPN to work out the bugs before an ACC launch.

I also see why the SEC and ACC aren't playing a 9th intra-league game, YET. Both leagues can use an intra-league game as quality content on their network or use it as collateral to buy back some of the rights.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

ACC needs espn to do the heavy lifting. espn is going to do SEC first. espn will handle us after they get SEC up and running. Obviously, by that time, them may be little money left to do an ACCNW adequately, but them's the breaks.

Football rules, and SEC rules college football, at least in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    After seeing how well the BTN became after a year or two, one wonders why we're waiting to be the last with a network. Biggest fear is that cable networks will have developed CNF (collegic network fatigue) by the time the ACC comes calling, and they'll tell us to pound sand (while the BTN, P12N & SECN continues to roll in the cash).

Here is the key paragraph in that article...

All of our conversations are about distribution of the product, and how do you actualize revenue, how do you actualize distribution, Cunningham said. So I dont think it was really any different than its been the last couple of years other than I think the channel or network is basically the delivery of ACC content in whatever fashion that is going forward.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Like I said...it is all about distribution in order to monetize the content.

The ESPN contract is different than others; ACC has a strategic partnership.. THerefore I expect any network solution will involve ESPN....

I always remember Steech comment "ACC is not through"""......

The Pac 12 is not making money on their network. Neither the Pac 12 nor the Long Horn network are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    The Pac 12 is not making money on their network. Neither the Pac 12 nor the Long Horn network are successful.
    The Pac12 Network turned a profit in yr one. That is a tremendous success. And they gained a ton of exposure for its schools and their fans. Frankly, I would LOVE seeing historic VT games and original VT programming. I would even check out some old school Clemson, FSU, and Miami games occasionally, as well as some old school ACC bball games. They had 550 live events and 550 hrs of live programming. Anyhow, to turn a profit in yr one is MAJOR. Additionally, they still haven't worked gotten on DISH or Direct TV. That will bring in quite a bit more revenue, even if it's cents/subscriber.
    Last edited by chuckd4vt; Mon Aug 05 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    ACC needs espn to do the heavy lifting. espn is going to do SEC first. espn will handle us after they get SEC up and running. Obviously, by that time, them may be little money left to do an ACCNW adequately, but them's the breaks.

Football rules, and SEC rules college football, at least in the present.
    Thing is, w/ these networks, fball may not be king. Who has the better basketball and olympic sports programming? The ACC, the Pac12, the B1G, or the SEC? Frankly, the ACC w/ Notre Dame wins that race hands down and that's what will be shown on these networks most of the times. Any halfway decent football games aren't going to end up being broadcast on these networks. I could see the replays and historic contests being draws, but the ACC has some historic games available w/ Miami, FSU, and especially w/ ND included.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    The ESPN contract is different than others; ACC has a strategic partnership.. THerefore I expect any network solution will involve ESPN....

I always remember Steech comment "ACC is not through"""......
    Difference is, we had to compensate for an awful original contract by giving our Tier 3 stuff away when renegotiations occurred.