Hawaii is really trying to get the PAC 12's attention.

I hadn't seen it here, but if it was, sorry for posting it again. It doesn't impact the ACC, but I find it interesting. The PAC 12 has started an initiative to market itself in China. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...ours-continue/

Hawaii is now saying, "Hey look at us if you're coming our way!" Hawaiians love football. It would be an interesting development if this were to happen. The University of Hawaii Chancellor is pushing for it. http://www.khon2.com/2013/06/10/uh-c...ors-in-pac-12/

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I hadn't seen it here, but if it was, sorry for posting it again. It doesn't impact the ACC, but I find it interesting. The PAC 12 has started an initiative to market itself in China. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...ours-continue/

Hawaii is now saying, "Hey look at us if you're coming our way!" Hawaiians love football. It would be an interesting development if this were to happen. The University of Hawaii Chancellor is pushing for it. http://www.khon2.com/2013/06/10/uh-c...ors-in-pac-12/
    Remember Swofford talking about Europe?

The problem with Hawaii is,

LAX to Honolulu - 6 hours 5 minute
    LAX to Dulles - 4 hours 58 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Remember Swofford talking about Europe?
    Why not Canada eh? The NBA, MLB, and MLS have all gone into Toronto. Will Jim Delany expand into Ontario before John Swofford? How 'bout them Varsity Blues eh?

University of Toronto could end up being a great add for someone. Hugh city and a major market, and they'd have a whole country behind them. Downside is that football and hoops in Canada aren't nearly what they are in the US. But I'd like their chances of reaching a Frozen Four two.

I can't imagine the complex WVU would show if UTor got invited to the ACC before them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Why not Canada eh? The NBA, MLB, and MLS have all gone into Toronto. Will Jim Delany expand into Ontario before John Swofford? How 'bout them Varsity Blues eh?

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    The problem with Hawaii is,

LAX to Honolulu - 6 hours 5 minute
    LAX to Dulles - 4 hours 58 minutes.
    Maybe the Pac-12 would consider doing a football only expansion with Hawaii and Boise (or BYU). They clearly don't want any of those in for everything, but football only would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    University of Toronto could end up being a great add for someone. Hugh city and a major market, and they'd have a whole country behind them. Downside is that football and hoops in Canada aren't nearly what they are in the US. But I'd like their chances of reaching a Frozen Four two.

I can't imagine the complex WVU would show if UTor got invited to the ACC before them.
    Simon Fraser (BC) has already broken the NCAA barrier when they joined the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (Division 2) in 2010 to become the first Canadian school to join the NCAA. I just wonder if the day will come when schools like the University of Toronto, McGill, and Guelph will join the NCAA. Many of those schools are within 1.5-3 hours of the U.S. border.

Trouble is Hawaii underfunds its athletic programs significantly .. They are dwarfed by even the lowest athletic budget in PAC 12. Also there is significant problems with academics at university of Hawaii - basically open admission like wvu.. Last PAC 12 membership are not real keen on any more expansion..

I applaud Hawaii trying but dont expect any takers from the PAC 12

Pros/Cons...

+ 30,000+ undergraduate enrollment
    + A member of the AAU
    + Has played football since the 1860's
    + In a city with a population > 2.5M+
    + Endowment 3 times greater than Clemson.
    + Expansion into a new market
    + Geographically relevant for ACC

- 5,000 seat stadium
    - Would take a while to be more competitive

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Maybe the Pac-12 would consider doing a football only expansion with Hawaii and Boise (or BYU). They clearly don't want any of those in for everything, but football only would be interesting.
    I would not completely rule out the possibility. If the PAC-12 is looking at what Hawai'i brings to the table, then the school has quality men's basketball, men's volleyball, and women's water polo program. In looking at Hawai'i's schedule for all their programs, it appears that Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Arizona, and Arizona State seem to be a somewhat regular OOC opponent. If the BCS conferences decide to form a 4th division within the NCAA instead of creating a third subdivision within DI, then membership numbers could be a critical issue for the non-revenue sports (i.e. water polo which is an important sport within the PAC-12). Something else to consider is that even though Utah is a state school, a large percentage of its students are affiliated with the LDS Church. Now that does mean much until you factor in that the LDS Church is popular among people of Hawaiian and Samoan decent. Also of note, BYU has a campus (BYU-Hawaii) located in Laie.

Assuming Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Texas are no longer viable options and the PAC-12 wants to expand to 14 or 16 teams, then it will be limited on its choices. If the conference has not changed its position on BYU, then you can pretty much eliminate them from the conversation. Boise St could add to football, but may not add to the other sports which could be important if the PAC-12 is a member of the 4th Division. The conference may not even consider Nevada and/or UNLV because of the state's philosophy on legalized gambling. If the conference is willing to overlook it, then they may favor Nevada over UNLV. Reno may be viewed as a less tourist destination as Las Vegas, which could mean fewer scandals/rule violations for the conference to have to deal with even under the Division 4 bylaws. The other schools are either located in states with a PAC-12 member (i.e. Colorado St, Utah St) or located in states that don't bring enough TV ratings (i.e. Wyoming, New Mexico, New Mexico St, etc).