Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

? Do you think the B1G was hoping that by taking UMd, that several other ACC schools (say, UNC, UVa, GT) would soon follow? Or do you think they just wanted to move east for a couple schools and not make the conference too big? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Declining Rust Belt or ever growing Eastern Seaboard...which one do you want to be in? I can tell you that the B1G wants the Eastern Seaboard. However, they did not get even get a top 10 school on the eastern seaboard. Maryland and Rutgers are ranked in passion, sports and academics behind many in the ACC. They took them, but they were not at the top of their list. Nothing against them, because they are good schools, but again using the three metrics I talked about...there are many ranked higher in the ACC.

Texas has seen the Cowboys and now A&M explode by going east...you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out where they will be in the future. The only question is when and I don't see it taking 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    ? Do you think the B1G was hoping that by taking UMd, that several other ACC schools (say, UNC, UVa, GT) would soon follow? Or do you think they just wanted to move east for a couple schools and not make the conference too big? TIA
    I look at it as they wanted to get in certain markets and picked two seemingly desperate schools. MD is banking on not paying the exit fee and RU was the big winner here. There was smoke about those Acc teams and maybe the BIG was hopeful that dominoes would fall but Swofford seemed to have taken care of that.
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

I think they wanted to save Penn State and try to get UVa, UNC and GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I was there for Tech's one point home win over Tulane in 1985 which many believe was one of the 3 point shaving games.
    If I remember correctly, the point shaving games surrounded a VT game, but did not include a VT game. But I admit I didn't follow that stuff very closely.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

There was a week when the ACC nearly fell apart. Literally I was told by people very high on the institutional side at VT that we were done that GT followed by at least one other were headed to big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEA 05 View Post
    There was a week when the ACC nearly fell apart. Literally I was told by people very high on the institutional side at VT that we were done that GT followed by at least one other were headed to big 10.
    Did they tell you where we would have ended up?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Hokie View Post
    Did they tell you where we would have ended up?
    We had options. We had seats at two tables
    And we're trying to get one at a 3rd. It's water under the bridge now because ole Swofford saved things by getting a couple teams to sign the GOR that didn't really want to.

Pretty clear cut where we could have gone.

We had options. We had seats at two tables
    And we're trying to get one at a 3rd. It's water under the bridge now because ole Swofford saved things by getting a couple teams to sign the GOR that didn't really want to.

Pretty clear cut where we could have gone.
    I guess that you are not going to say, but what were the two tables,and where would we have gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Hokie View Post
    I guess that you are not going to say, but what were the two tables,and where would we have gone?
    We had seats at Boththe big12 and the Sec. We wanted a seat at the big10.

We weren't the big10s top VA choice. We would have landed in the SEC.

The BiG12 package was interesting though. The thought was to add us NCState FSU Miami Clemson Louisville to get them to 16 and eastern and western thing.

I figured that. BTW, what schools didn't want to sign the GOR? I was actually hoping that we wouldn't sign it. I wasn't happy about the previous $50m exit fee either. The ACC takes us for granted to some extent. But more importantly, I was actually hoping that some how we would end up in the SEC. But oh well. Love the one your with I guess.
    We had seats at Boththe big12 and the Sec. We wanted a seat at the big10.

We weren't the big10s top VA choice. We would have landed in the SEC.

The BiG12 package was interesting though. The thought was to add us NCState FSU Miami Clemson Louisville to get them to 16 and eastern and western thing.