Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Big12 twitter propaganda machine is getting nervous about UT leaving

These guys haven't been right too much but they have been right that something was going on behind the scenes. Why worry now about UT?

I think the writing is on the wall for the Big 12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What guy's?

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    These guys haven't been right too much but they have been right that something was going on behind the scenes. Why worry now about UT?

Whom are you talking?

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post

but it seems ot have nothing to do with tu to the ACC, the rumors being mentioned are all B1G related (at least what i have seen). of course, an ACC fan would say tu is playing the B1G to leverage a better deal with the ACC, but regionally and culturally, wouldn't adding KU, OU, TU +1 (Mizzou?) to the B1G make a lot more sense than tu coming east?

tu would be in a division with OU, KU, Mizzou, NU, Minn, Wisky, Iowa, and Illinois while also having access to the Northeast through PSU, Rutgers and umd.

i do think the Big12 will crumble one day, but arguments could be made for the Pac12, the B1G, and even the ACC being the conference who takes the best pieces, so i think we're a long way from it happening while the Big12 schools sort out what's best, not only for them, but also for their member state schools in some cases. a lot to sort out IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I think that is a feint because the Longhorn Network would have to be folded into the Big 10 Network and unless ESPN wants to sell that to their #1 competition at Fox...that dog will not hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think that is a feint because the Longhorn Network would have to be folded into the Big 10 Network and unless ESPN wants to sell that to their #1 competition at Fox...that dog will not hunt.
    or tu and ESPN could agree to shut it down...it's been a failed experiment by all accounts.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    or tu and ESPN could agree to shut it down...it's been a failed experiment by all accounts.
    If I am Texas and I am making $15 Million per year for the next 17 years...why would I ever want to shut that down? The four-letter network would have to come up with a really sweet buyout offer for that to happen and I don't think Disney is ready to cough up that kind of cash to buy out the folks in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    If I am Texas and I am making $15 Million per year for the next 17 years...why would I ever want to shut that down? The four-letter network would have to come up with a really sweet buyout offer for that to happen and I don't think Disney is ready to cough up that kind of cash to buy out the folks in Austin.
    ESPN could simply agree to pay the difference between tu's projected Big12+LHN payouts and their projected B1G+BTN payouts which might be $0. my point is, if tu wants to go to the B1G and rub noses with Michigan and tOSU, the LHN won't get in their way.

Or, they could say we're not going to let you do that. Let's negotiate something else.

ESPN could simply agree to pay the difference between tu's projected Big12+LHN payouts and their projected B1G+BTN payouts which might be $0. my point is, if tu wants to go to the B1G and rub noses with Michigan and tOSU, the LHN won't get in their way.

but it seems ot have nothing to do with tu to the ACC, the rumors being mentioned are all B1G related (at least what i have seen). of course, an ACC fan would say tu is playing the B1G to leverage a better deal with the ACC, but regionally and culturally, wouldn't adding KU, OU, TU +1 (Mizzou?) to the B1G make a lot more sense than tu coming east?

tu would be in a division with OU, KU, Mizzou, NU, Minn, Wisky, Iowa, and Illinois while also having access to the Northeast through PSU, Rutgers and umd.

i do think the Big12 will crumble one day, but arguments could be made for the Pac12, the B1G, and even the ACC being the conference who takes the best pieces, so i think we're a long way from it happening while the Big12 schools sort out what's best, not only for them, but also for their member state schools in some cases. a lot to sort out IMO.
    What the ACC has going for it over the Big Ten in the mindset of Texas is 1) Notre Dame and 2) Access to Florida. From everything I'm reading out of the Big Ten Conference Realignment junkies is that they see Texas going to the ACC in 2025 after the Big XII Grant of Rights expires. It would happen sooner if the Big XII dissolves entirely.

They are suggesting that Kansas and Oklahoma have both reached out to the Big Ten because they want back regularly playing Nebraska, and they know Texas is looking around. Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so that will be an issue with the Big Ten.

Who knows if any of this will come to pass, but the Big XII is now the nervous conference of the Power 5.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    What the ACC has going for it over the Big Ten in the mindset of Texas is 1) Notre Dame and 2) Access to Florida. From everything I'm reading out of the Big Ten Conference Realignment junkies is that they see Texas going to the ACC in 2025 after the Big XII Grant of Rights expires. It would happen sooner if the Big XII dissolves entirely.

They are suggesting that Kansas and Oklahoma have both reached out to the Big Ten because they want back regularly playing Nebraska, and they know Texas is looking around. Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so that will be an issue with the Big Ten.

Who knows if any of this will come to pass, but the Big XII is now the nervous conference of the Power 5.
    I've read that the Big 12 will likely revisit their GOR agreement in 3 years or so. I don't know how much of that is true.

As for Texas joining the ACC in 2025, a lot can change in 12 years. I think if Texas joins another conference it is likely to be in 5 years rather than 12 years. I don't know what the outcome will be if the Power 5 FBS conferences form a new NCAA subdivision. If and when that happens, realignment could get jump started. I would expect that the Power 5 or 6 or 7 conferences would want each conference to have a football championship game. If so, the Big 12 would have to expand to at least 12. The more members the Big 12 has, the harder it will be for the conference to fall apart. Plus the Big 12 could add South Florida and Central Florida and give Texas and the Big 12 a Florida presence. They could add UConn, Cincinnati, and Temple to strengthen their eastern presence. Maybe add Memphis to strengthen basketball? They could go west and add Boise State, SDSU, UNLV, BYU, and nearby Houston. I wouldn't count the Big 12 dead just yet. The ACC has made the moves to survive the past few years, now the Big 12 has to do the same.......if that's what they really want to do.