Thread: Philly Market?

Philly Market?

Temple? PSU? Nova? Well if you cannot or do not want any of these schools what to do? Could be simply having your teams play alot of Bball games in that area. Football games against Temple also. Philly though would love the Dookies, the Heels, CUSE, VIlle or Pitt to bring the roundball to that area. IMHO the Eagles are to big for many ACC football games in that area. Big 10 also. Well the exception PSU of course. Roundball would be strong media marketing ploy.

At this point, we can assume PSU and Rutgers are locked in the B1G.
    Villanova looked at and rejected taking their football program to D1A. And they would have gone directly into the Big East, a BCS conference at the time.

Temple would jump if asked, but why would the ACC ask? Will adding Temple increase revenue for all ACC schools? Does Temple's academic profile match up well enough to acceptable? I don't know if Temple has the upside of Louisville, or the financial support to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Temple? PSU? Nova? Well if you cannot or do not want any of these schools what to do? Could be simply having your teams play alot of Bball games in that area. Football games against Temple also. Philly though would love the Dookies, the Heels, CUSE, VIlle or Pitt to bring the roundball to that area. IMHO the Eagles are to big for many ACC football games in that area. Big 10 also. Well the exception PSU of course. Roundball would be strong media marketing ploy.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Having grown up on the Jersey Shore/Philly are I can say college football will just never be a major factor in that market, and thats a shame cause it is a big market, you have philly, a big chunk of the state west of there, the entire southern half of NJ and most of DE too all are in that market. But yes if its football your talking Eagles or Giants and thats it.

I think part of it has to do with distances, PSU is hours from Philly making a casual fan base tough to build, and RU is way too close to NYC for my liking and much closer tied to NYC than Philly. Plus neither have achieved much recently so i think college footballs chances in Philly, especially when the Birds were good was dead on arrival. Temple barely even counts as a team and Penn is in the ivy league so they are basically flag football and neither attract large fans.

I would lo9ve to see some ACC games move to Philly, relatively easy to get to by train, plane, or auto and the city is pumping serious money into the giant sports complex with shopping and food being put in, plus Penn;s Landing and Center City are just as nice as any city youll find.

Quote Originally Posted by ht14trmbn View Post
    Having grown up on the Jersey Shore/Philly are I can say college football will just never be a major factor in that market, and thats a shame cause it is a big market, you have philly, a big chunk of the state west of there, the entire southern half of NJ and most of DE too all are in that market. But yes if its football your talking Eagles or Giants and thats it.

I think part of it has to do with distances, PSU is hours from Philly making a casual fan base tough to build, and RU is way too close to NYC for my liking and much closer tied to NYC than Philly. Plus neither have achieved much recently so i think college footballs chances in Philly, especially when the Birds were good was dead on arrival. Temple barely even counts as a team and Penn is in the ivy league so they are basically flag football and neither attract large fans.

I would lo9ve to see some ACC games move to Philly, relatively easy to get to by train, plane, or auto and the city is pumping serious money into the giant sports complex with shopping and food being put in, plus Penn;s Landing and Center City are just as nice as any city youll find.
    Xfinity Live! Philadelphia is a great place to hang out before and after a game. I went to the Eagles vs Giants game there last season and had a blast. I would enjoy going there for UVA games too if the ACC decided to enter that market. Temple is the only game in town. There would need to be some evidence that they could get their 200,000 plus strong alumni base excited to start supporting Temple football and basketball. I imagine that many of them are in that area still.

Temple has improved on the field recently, and they are recruiting better. So who knows. Regarding that market being a Professional Sports Market, I think Washington/Baltimore is too as are New York and Boston. If the name of the game today is getting on television to get the dollars, the ACC needs a presence in the Philadelphia television market in my opinion. We are not going to get it done with Pitt.