Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Check out Andy Bitter's article on a future ACC Network...

http://roanoke.com/sports/colleges/2...t-logical.html

Here is what I can tell you...

The ACC will need to have a network in order for the member institutions to be on a financial par with the other leagues. The Big 10, PAC-12 and the SEC will all be earning a lot more money thanks to their networks over the ACC and the Big 12 and that inequity will once again drive a lot of chatter about realignment, etc. The Big-12 will be a mess thanks to the Longhorn Network. To me, they have no hope of getting a network. The ACC has a chance but they need to find a way to get distribution in order to make it a success and then a financial windfall.

My company has systems in a few ACC markets. We are in Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Rhode Island. Most of our customers are actually outside ACC country so we may be one of those that would be skeptical to add an ACC network...although I think we would get crushed in Northern VA, Roanoke, Hampton Roads and Central Florida without the ACC Network and that will ultimately get us in...plus we would probably get a heavy lean from ESPN. That is just my guess.

For the ACC Network to be a national play, I think that a few things have to happen. First, I think Notre Dame has to really think about coming all in. If they are in, the ACC Network football portfolio becomes an instant national player. Say what you like about ND but they do bring an audience and that cannot be ignored. Second, the ACC has to be willing to put major basketball inventory on the network. This means that if you want to watch Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse or other national contender hoops programs...you have to go to the ACC network...again this makes it a national play that will bring distribution. Third, a westward expansion is needed. If Texas can be brought in and the LHN comes with it and gets swallowed up by the ACC Network then you have a national player that will include the following markets... #1-New York (Syracuse), #3-Chicago (Notre Dame), #4- Philadelphia (Pitt), #5-Dallas-Fort Worth(UT), #7-Boston (BC), #8-Washington(VT, UVa), #9-Atlanta (GT, Clemson, FSU), #10-Houston (UT), #14-Tampa/St. Pete (FSU, Miami), #16-Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (Miami, FSU), #19-Orlando (FSU, Miami), #23-Pittsburgh (Pitt), #24- Raleigh/Durham (UNC, Duke, NCSU, WFU), and #25-Charlotte (UNC, Duke, NCSU, WFU, Clemson). That is a formidable lineup of national markets and can command some good per subscriber money if the content is there.

For those of you scoring at home, Norfolk/Newport News is market #44, Richmond is #57 and Roanoke/Lynchburg is #68.

As I keep telling you all...it is about gaining distribution. Once that code has been cracked, the ACC Network will become a reality and will make the schools a TON of money thanks to the markets in which the league plays.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post

The ACC will need to have a network in order for the member institutions to be on a financial par with the other leagues. The Big 10, PAC-12 and the SEC will all be earning a lot more money thanks to their networks over the ACC and the Big 12 and that inequity will once again drive a lot of chatter about realignment, etc. The Big-12 will be a mess thanks to the Longhorn Network. To me, they have no hope of getting a network. The ACC has a chance but they need to find a way to get distribution in order to make it a success and then a financial windfall.

My company has systems in a few ACC markets. We are in Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Rhode Island. Most of our customers are actually outside ACC country so we may be one of those that would be skeptical to add an ACC network...although I think we would get crushed in Northern VA, Roanoke, Hampton Roads and Central Florida without the ACC Network and that will ultimately get us in...plus we would probably get a heavy lean from ESPN. That is just my guess.

For the ACC Network to be a national play, I think that a few things have to happen. First, I think Notre Dame has to really think about coming all in. If they are in, the ACC Network football portfolio becomes an instant national player. Say what you like about ND but they do bring an audience and that cannot be ignored. Second, the ACC has to be willing to put major basketball inventory on the network. This means that if you want to watch Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse or other national contender hoops programs...you have to go to the ACC network...again this makes it a national play that will bring distribution. Third, a westward expansion is needed. If Texas can be brought in and the LHN comes with it and gets swallowed up by the ACC Network then you have a national player that will include the following markets... #1-New York (Syracuse), #3-Chicago (Notre Dame), #4- Philadelphia (Pitt), #5-Dallas-Fort Worth(UT), #7-Boston (BC), #8-Washington(VT, UVa), #9-Atlanta (GT, Clemson, FSU), #10-Houston (UT), #14-Tampa/St. Pete (FSU, Miami), #16-Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (Miami, FSU), #19-Orlando (FSU, Miami), #23-Pittsburgh (Pitt), #24- Raleigh/Durham (UNC, Duke, NCSU, WFU), and #25-Charlotte (UNC, Duke, NCSU, WFU, Clemson). That is a formidable lineup of national markets and can command some good per subscriber money if the content is there.

For those of you scoring at home, Norfolk/Newport News is market #44, Richmond is #57 and Roanoke/Lynchburg is #68.

As I keep telling you all...it is about gaining distribution. Once that code has been cracked, the ACC Network will become a reality and will make the schools a TON of money thanks to the markets in which the league plays.
    Won't ESPN get first picks which means ND and top contenders won't be on the ACC channel much except for reruns?

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Won't ESPN get first picks which means ND and top contenders won't be on the ACC channel much except for reruns?
    If ND is all in for football, the ACC Network will broadcast replays of all ND football games, ND coaches show, some kind of ND historical show ("Great Wins in ND History") and if they are really smart they could also broadcast a haters show ("Embrassing Pitiful Losses in ND History").

Sure, the ACCN will likely never broadcast a live ND football game but the other inventory has national value.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post

I wouldn't count on Philadelphia supporting Pitt and the ACCN. Philly is a pro sports town and Penn State is their #1 college football team. The BTN will get a majority of the college sports viewers with PSU and Rutgers (NJ suburbs of Philly). An ACCN will have trouble getting into Philly and Baltimore. UConn (Fairfield County) would help solidify NYC TV market, having ACC members on both ends of the city.

I think an ACCN would do well from DC to Miami. Like the article, I'm not so sure about the Northeast. Notre Dame's full membership into the ACC would solidify the Northeast TV footprint. As for adding Texas and a few other Big 12 schools, I could see Texas giving up their LHN if Notre Dame joined and the ACCN could get into all the cable markets within their geographic footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    If ND is all in for football, the ACC Network will broadcast replays of all ND football games, ND coaches show, some kind of ND historical show ("Great Wins in ND History") and if they are really smart they could also broadcast a haters show ("Embrassing Pitiful Losses in ND History").

Sure, the ACCN will likely never broadcast a live ND football game but the other inventory has national value.
    Does NBC own the rights to all Notre Dame football content or just what they broadcast during the season (calendar year)?

ACCN will do fine in NYC, PHIL and BOS due to hoops, not football. ACC will have a huge inventory of primo college basketball, SYR vs DUKE vs UNC vs LVille vs ND vs GT vs whoever else is pretty good. ACCN live basketball won't be the VT hoops network, the way that the RAYCOM football game feels like the Wake Forest FBall Network.

And with ND and LVILLE as full basketball partners, the ACCN will get good carriage through much of the Mid West - CHI, Indy, all over KY and Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I wouldn't count on Philadelphia supporting Pitt and the ACCN. Philly is a pro sports town and Penn State is their #1 college football team. The BTN will get a majority of the college sports viewers with PSU and Rutgers (NJ suburbs of Philly). An ACCN will have trouble getting into Philly and Baltimore. UConn (Fairfield County) would help solidify NYC TV market, having ACC members on both ends of the city.

I think an ACCN would do well from DC to Miami. Like the article, I'm not so sure about the Northeast. Notre Dame's full membership into the ACC would solidify the Northeast TV footprint. As for adding Texas and a few other Big 12 schools, I could see Texas giving up their LHN if Notre Dame joined and the ACCN could get into all the cable markets within their geographic footprint.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Does NBC own the rights to all Notre Dame football content or just what they broadcast during the season (calendar year)?
    NBC owns the first broadcast rights to Notre Dame HOME games only.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    ACCN will do fine in NYC, PHIL and BOS due to hoops, not football. ACC will have a huge inventory of primo college basketball, SYR vs DUKE vs UNC vs LVille vs ND vs GT vs whoever else is pretty good. ACCN live basketball won't be the VT hoops network, the way that the RAYCOM football game feels like the Wake Forest FBall Network.

And with ND and LVILLE as full basketball partners, the ACCN will get good carriage through much of the Mid West - CHI, Indy, all over KY and Ohio.
    I doubt Philly sports fans will dish out the bucks to watch just 20 or so watchable ACC men's basketball games. ESPN and CBS will still show some of the marquee ACC games. Philly does show Raycom men's hoops on local channel. I don't know the ratings it receives. I know most of the ACC fans in Philly follow Duke and Maryland. Maryland will join the Big 10 with local favorites Penn State and Rutgers. I also don't think the ACCN will do well in OSU Buckeyes-Big 10 dominated Ohio. Maybe the Cincinnati suburbs of Kentucky (Covington area) will show Louisville, but I doubt Cincinnati will, especially if they don't get ACC membership. The ACC hate there will be strong. I think Notre Dame's full membership would help the ACCN into more areas of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and southern Michigan. Notre Dame men's basketball is probably 4th in line in Indianapolis behind Indiana, Butler, and Purdue.

Ratings are one thing but subscriber base is another. The big 10 network gets a certain amount from subscribers in footprint and a lesser amount out of footprint. I know I am paying for the big 10 network in my direct tv package because I get the direct tv sport package and I don't recall ever watching anything on it.
    If anyone looks at the sequence of events that led to where we are, it appears that an ACC network was the ultimate plan. It will have the largest footprint of any conference. I still can't reconcile though, why they seem to be a bit behind the other conferences with respect to a network. But whatever the real plan was, I think the ACC is really well positioned.

Frankly, I really don't care about Philadelphia being a deal breaker in this scenario. It is just one of the top 10 markets. But if you can secure New York, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, Atlanta, and Houston...then you have the makings of a very profitable enterprise. Also remember this, the networks or ESPN cannot show all of the your best games if you have a lot of big name games in your inventory. They still have contracts to show other leagues and that will naturally push down content to the ACC Network making it a much more meaty proposition.

I am glad to see a lot of you are starting to understand this puzzle now.