Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Yes, or the NFL team that drafts the player can write the check. While educating a cadet or midshipman is pricey to the taxpayer, it is chump change to Jerry Jones, et al who should gladly do it for their country.

Or the NFL could create a slush fund for it. The NFL always does salute to the troops stuff...why not take it a step further and elevate the football programs of the academies that have given so much to the country and the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Releasing cadets drafted by the NFL makes a lot of sense. They could set up some kind of payment plan for them to repay their tuition out of their NFL salary.
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Sat Jul 27 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Can you link the article on Swofford talking about it? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I think we'll see the MWC and the AAC join the power 5 in the new NCAA subdivision. The AAC has already publicly asked to be included. I'm sure that the MWC will do the same. When Swofford spoke about this last week, he was saying 5-7 conferences. Schools from the other conferences like Sunbelt, Conference USA, MAC, etc. will have opportunities to move up just like they do now from FCS to FBS, but they will do so if the other conferences expand. Those conferences will stay in the lower division.

Many of this Board (actually the sub. board before WS created a separate conference board)have been saying this for a few years now and were poo-pooed by many posters. The top 80 or so teams will break away from the NCAA - the pieces that still are a ? are the exact number of teams and the number of conferences. Make no mistake about it, the driving influence is $ - mostly on the basketball tournament side with football championship playoff being a close second. The NCAA (and smaller schools) make a lot of money off of the top 80 school's content. Also (though further in the future) ESPN had better be watching over their shoulder. Once the top 80 form their own "coalition" what stops them from forming their own network? Nothing except their existing contracts with ESPN. The top 80 would have enough content to start their own TESPN1 and TESPN2 (TESPN = Top Eighty Sports Programing Network). Than they can keep and divide all of the $ that ESPN is making off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Many of this Board (actually the sub. board before WS created a separate conference board)have been saying this for a few years now and were poo-pooed by many posters. The top 80 or so teams will break away from the NCAA - the pieces that still are a ? are the exact number of teams and the number of conferences. Make no mistake about it, the driving influence is $ - mostly on the basketball tournament side with football championship playoff being a close second. The NCAA (and smaller schools) make a lot of money off of the top 80 school's content. Also (though further in the future) ESPN had better be watching over their shoulder. Once the top 80 form their own "coalition" what stops them from forming their own network? Nothing except their existing contracts with ESPN. The top 80 would have enough content to start their own TESPN1 and TESPN2 (TESPN = Top Eighty Sports Programing Network). Than they can keep and divide all of the $ that ESPN is making off of them.
    The Top Eighty Network? The Pac-12, B1G, SEC, Texas and Notre Dame (NBC) already have their own networks. Why would they want to start another to share with anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    I agree money is the driving factor and it always has been since cable/satellite TV became a part of college athletics. No one knows what the final number will be when/if the NCAA forms another subdivision. I can't see the Top tier conferences breaking off like many predict. The NCAA needs the top tier football schools as much as the top tier schools need the NCAA for hoops. Not having all those urban football-less schools playing the big boys will kill the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. It's that first week of the tournament that creates all the excitement. It's seeing the mid-majors upsetting the top tier schools that has many watching it. It's having Creighton, Butler, Gonzaga, VCU,... making it into the Sweet 16 against top tier powers like Indiana, Michigan State, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA. IMHO, March Madness is a national treasure and I can see the NCAA giving in to the top tier schools demands.

Maybe the top tier football programs will have to pay a larger stipend to it's players or/and play at least 2 lower tier FBS schools per season? Maybe the top tier schools/conferences will be able to separate from the 30-40 smaller FBS schools and have their own division just for football (only top tier football schools play in certain bowls and have their own playoff system), but participating fully in all the other NCAA Division I sanctioned sports as they always have? I also don't see a TESPN-type network being formed. ESPN, CBS, and Fox already have too much invested to allow that to ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    Southern Miss and Tulsa are two schools with rich football history that sadly haven't "made the cut". Both have small stadiums. If they want to play with the big boys, they need more seats and butts in them. IIRC, both stadiums are larger than Wallace Wade (Duke) and BB&T (Wake Forest)
    Based on the 2012 NCAA attendance records, schools like BYU(60K per game), ECU(50K), USF(45K) and SDSU(40K) already have better attendance than some of the big boys.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/nca...Attendance.pdf

I had to paste info from the link above into a spreadsheet and sort it by average attendance to see where all the schools ranked. ECU ranks #40 in attendance, just 5 spots behind UNC and 6 spots behind NCSU... and ahead of Miami, Louisville, GT, UVa, Pitt, SU, BC, WF and Duke. Unfortunately, ECU has to fight for media exposure and attention, plus live in the shadow of the ACC. Therefore, ECU may be stuck in AAC / Conference USA Loop of Hell for a long time.

Southern Miss and Tulsa need larger stadiums, but like ECU live in the shadow of Ole Miss/MSU/LSU and OU/Oklahoma State respectively.

And South Florida has the Tampa and other Florida TV markets, recruiting rich territory, 45,000 fans on average. USF may find themselves in a good spot some day in the future. Unlike North Carolina, Mississippi and Oklahoma, Florida is a large State and could easily produce another big time program if the commitment is there.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    I'd rather see the service academies not advance. It's nothing personal and I think they are great schools. Their admissions requirements and mission statements just aren't compatible with such a split. I'm not in favor of them droppping to FCS, but I think if there is to be another subdivision of D1 football that the service academies stay in the middle division.
    If the MWC, AAC and Conference USA are allowed in this new configuration of 90 to 100 college teams, then I think the service academies should have a place. If this new configuration is confined to between 64 and 80 teams, then I might agree with you. 2 of the 3 service academies are as competitive as half of the big conference schools. And if you allow Navy and Air Force, it would be wrong not to let Army tag along, based on their history alone (although that history dates back to the 40s and earlier). Plus, the academies do bring some money to game... Army v Navy, Navy v ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I hope Ed O'Bannon loses. He's just looking for free money. That's like a politician or military person asking that he/she get paid for any video footage/images of them being shown on the History Channel. I can't see O'Bannon winning. Similar cases have tried before in court and lost. If he does win, the NCAA will fold and college sports will become professional. How many colleges will be able to afford to field a football team? Not many. The NFL will have to form a farm system like MLB.
    I think you are missing the point. Under current rules a college athlete cannot endorse a product, be paid for appearing in a TV commercial or anything else that derives from him/her being a college athlete. Yet the NCAA, conferences and individual colleges can make millions from these guys. Imagine how much R.G.III could have made or Johnny Manziel could make if they were allowed to do commercial endorsements, or sell jerseys with their name and number on them.

Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    I think you are missing the point. Under current rules a college athlete cannot endorse a product, be paid for appearing in a TV commercial or anything else that derives from him/her being a college athlete. Yet the NCAA, conferences and individual colleges can make millions from these guys. Imagine how much R.G.III could have made or Johnny Manziel could make if they were allowed to do commercial endorsements, or sell jerseys with their name and number on them.
    Division I college athletes all get a free education. They receive a free education, free room and board, free books, a reasonable stipend, and for some, the stage (opportunity to play for big time programs on national TV) to make it to the NFL and earn millions of dollars. If these players are allowed to make money off their name as college players, they should lose their scholarships (if amount earned is above scholarship) and should have a salary cap placed on how much money they can earn as non-professionals. I'd like to see the colleges use any money above the cap for student scholarships. That would be in the true spirit of amateur college athletics. Some scholarships are worth as much as $200,000-$250,000/4 years and that doesn't include all the fringe benefits that come along.

The services usually are willing to make some adjustments when they have the rare player who can turn pro. The guy on the Redskins in the link is a good example, the Navy was willing to work with him so he could play football and meet his commitments. Basically during the off season he would do a bunch of PR and recruiting stuff and is now into his reserve commitment, hell coach Shanahan even attended his promotion to LT.

While it is too rare I think to warrant an actual policy I think the services are smart enough that when the situation arises they take advantage, its free feel good press in the end.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-eve...9-402e5cbddcf6