Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'd rather see the service academies not advance. It's nothing personal and I think they are great schools. Their admissions requirements and mission statements just aren't compatible with such a split. I'm not in favor of them droppping to FCS, but I think if there is to be another subdivision of D1 football that the service academies stay in the middle division.

Southern Miss and Tulsa are two schools with rich football history that sadly haven't "made the cut". Both have small stadiums. If they want to play with the big boys, they need more seats and butts in them. IIRC, both stadiums are larger than Wallace Wade (Duke) and BB&T (Wake Forest)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I feel the same way. The WAC football schools are mostly in the MWC now and most of the original CUSA schools joined the Big East which is now the AAC. I'm surprised that Southern Miss with all their history and success are still in CUSA. IMHO, they should be in the top tier. They've been the best football program in Mississippi most of the past 25 years. They've beaten their share of SEC schools during that period too.
    I imagine schools like Southern Mississippi, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, etc. will be trying to get into the AAC because I think if the Power 5 expand, they may take some AAC teams. But the line has to be drawn at 7 conferences I think.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    Southern Miss and Tulsa are two schools with rich football history that sadly haven't "made the cut". Both have small stadiums. If they want to play with the big boys, they need more seats and butts in them. IIRC, both stadiums are larger than Wallace Wade (Duke) and BB&T (Wake Forest)
    Tulsa just moved up to the AAC. If you want to call that a move up? I still think both the AAC and MWC eventually make it into the top tier of Division I.

I'd love to see the academies adapt to a certain extent and stay in D1. I'm not sure exactly how that can be done, but I wish they could find a way. Maybe they could let make exemptions for players drafted into the NFL or something. I don't know. It would just be a shame to see them set back.
    I'd rather see the service academies not advance. It's nothing personal and I think they are great schools. Their admissions requirements and mission statements just aren't compatible with such a split. I'm not in favor of them droppping to FCS, but I think if there is to be another subdivision of D1 football that the service academies stay in the middle division.

I guess stadium capacity and TV deals will play a huge part in what non-power conference schools join the top tier? Right now there are 66 top tier football schools locked in if you include the Big 5 conferences and Notre Dame/BYU. So you feel 14 more will make the cut? Schools with healthier athletics departments like UConn, UNLV, Boise State, and USF will likely be a few of them. I can see the 3 military academies getting in too. Stech or any one else, what would your final 14 be if they went to 80?
    I think they finally get smart about this and work together. They seem to be doing so w/ the playoffs so far. Additionally, TV reps, sponsors, and politicians are going to be involved. Stadium size, geography, academics, population estimates, and histories will all be a factor. We would get the 66 plus:
    Army
    Navy
    Air Force

Boise
    New Mexico
    UNLV
    USF
    UCONN
    Cinn

And then MAYBE
    Colorado St.
    Tulane
    San Diego St.
    Nevada

I don't think you would see So. Miss or Tulsa due to their being two large programs already in from their fairly small states.

I could see another team from California or the North East possibly. Perhaps Temple or San Jose St.

not really. in this case the NCAA says you can't sell your own likeness but we can.

I hope Ed O'Bannon loses. He's just looking for free money. That's like a politician or military person asking that he/she get paid for any video footage/images of them being shown on the History Channel. I can't see O'Bannon winning. Similar cases have tried before in court and lost. If he does win, the NCAA will fold and college sports will become professional. How many colleges will be able to afford to field a football team? Not many. The NFL will have to form a farm system like MLB.

I feel the same way. The WAC football schools are mostly in the MWC now and most of the original CUSA schools joined the Big East which is now the AAC. I'm surprised that Southern Miss with all their history and success are still in CUSA. IMHO, they should be in the top tier. They've been the best football program in Mississippi most of the past 25 years. They've beaten their share of SEC schools during that period too.
    Southern Mississippi and Rice will be in The American within 5 years.

One could make a similar statement regarding schools like Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I'd love to see the academies adapt to a certain extent and stay in D1. I'm not sure exactly how that can be done, but I wish they could find a way. Maybe they could let make exemptions for players drafted into the NFL or something. I don't know. It would just be a shame to see them set back.
    Releasing cadets drafted by the NFL makes a lot of sense. They could set up some kind of payment plan for them to repay their tuition out of their NFL salary.