Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I will happily accept your position when you tell me how we will reconfigure Lane Stadium so that it will hold 90,000 people and who will pay for all those extra 30,000 seats including seat licenses. Maryland will rue the day they left our conference.

Not to the extent of the ACC. I'm referring to the elite conferences, not the BigXII and the AAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It seems like every conference has lost some identity during realignment. Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10, Missouri in the SEC, BC, Cuse, ...in the ACC, WVU in the Big 12. Some conferences like the AAC don't even have an identity.

Ivy League might have something to say about the superior academic conference on the East Coast. And now the B1G is on the east coast and can probably boast academic superiority to the ACC now that we've taken on Louisville. We haven't been up to snuff in basketball in the last decade, but I guess by default and expansion, we might be back on top. But again, the B1G might have something to say about that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    Oh yeah, we still are.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Not to the extent of the ACC. I'm referring to the elite conferences, not the BigXII and the AAC.
    I think the ACC is one of the 5 elite conferences. ESPN sure does. They wouldn't have signed a big TV contract with the ACC if they didn't think so. Like the conference commissioners and AD's, conferences are more than just football and men's basketball. I include all sports and the ACC is one of the top conferences when considering all sports. The SEC is the best football conference and has been for over a decade. As for the other 4 power conferences, there's not much difference between them in football. The Big 10 hasn't been impressive the past few years and the Pac 12 hasn't been lighting the college football world on fire. If Miami, FSU, Clemson. VT, GT, and UNC play slightly better, the ACC is as good as any of those conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by 133645Hokie View Post
    I will happily accept your position when you tell me how we will reconfigure Lane Stadium so that it will hold 90,000 people and who will pay for all those extra 30,000 seats including seat licenses. Maryland will rue the day they left our conference.
    Not every SEC school has 90,000 seats. AandM has 82k, SC has 80k, Missouri has 71k, Arkansas 72K, Kentucky has 67k, Auburn 87k, Florida 88K. VT right now has 66K and I think I read that a North Endzone expansion exactly like the South endzone would increase capacity by 10 thousand. I'm not sure though, but I feel we could get Lane up to 80,000 with our current setup. We could almost certainly get to 75k, which would be plenty respectable enough by SEC standards. It may not be 100, but we would be one of the loudest and toughest places to play, particularly when Bama, LSU, and Florida start making visits. And I think recruits wouldn't mind visiting VT when Tennessee makes its first stop here either. But hey, we can play ND, FSU, and Clemson here every 12 years though.

I think the ACC is one of the 5 elite conferences. ESPN sure does. They wouldn't have signed a big TV contract with the ACC if they didn't think so. Like the conference commissioners and AD's, conferences are more than just football and men's basketball. I include all sports and the ACC is one of the top conferences when considering all sports. The SEC is the best football conference and has been for over a decade. As for the other 4 power conferences, there's not much difference between them in football. The Big 10 hasn't been impressive the past few years and the Pac 12 hasn't been lighting the college football world on fire. If Miami, FSU, Clemson. VT, GT, and UNC play slightly better, the ACC is as good as any of those conferences.
    How big is the contract? We still don't know exactly how comparable it is to the elite conferences. I think it's pretty safe to say that the ACC will be making less off of TV than any of the B1G, SEC, Pac12, and Big12 schools. Didn't WVU just get an $80 million dollar contract for its tier 3 stuff alone?

I still believe we will get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by bburgnative View Post
    Haven't changed my mind. I'd still like to go SEC.

Hear, hear !

We are HOME and that home now is solid and stable. IMHO it is the BEST conference for my Hokies. Yeah, yeah I wish the ACC would step up across the board in football prowess and they have the potential to do so. In our instant gratification, short term memory world it will just take one good season to flip that perception. ACC football is good not great at this point but Basketball and Olympic sports are excellent. I appreciate and value the all sports aspect of the ACC. I appreciate and value the academic advantages and alliances the ACC provides. I think it has unquestionably bolstered our academic profile. The SEC couldn't and wouldn't do that for VT, you just can't put a price tag on that aspect of conference alignment.

The advantages of being in the heart of a conference not the fringe are innumerable. The efficiencies and synergies of our ACC home can't be duplicated, period. Long live the ACC.

One last remark, the ACC has changed and evolved but the 60 year old conference will retain its core culture and foundation. Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame will be changed more by the ACC than the other way around.

How?

Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    I still believe we will get there eventually.

The Big Stadium schools win about 80-90% of the Conference Championships in the SEC. VT would have a lot of work to do to raise that kind of money in this econonmy.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Not every SEC school has 90,000 seats. AandM has 82k, SC has 80k, Missouri has 71k, Arkansas 72K, Kentucky has 67k, Auburn 87k, Florida 88K. VT right now has 66K and I think I read that a North Endzone expansion exactly like the South endzone would increase capacity by 10 thousand. I'm not sure though, but I feel we could get Lane up to 80,000 with our current setup. We could almost certainly get to 75k, which would be plenty respectable enough by SEC standards. It may not be 100, but we would be one of the loudest and toughest places to play, particularly when Bama, LSU, and Florida start making visits. And I think recruits wouldn't mind visiting VT when Tennessee makes its first stop here either. But hey, we can play ND, FSU, and Clemson here every 12 years though.