Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

The Atlantic Coast Conferenc

I just love the fact that, only 12 months after desperate calls for Virginia Tech to move to the SEC "before it's too late", we now see that the ACC is well-positioned for the future. And will be there when (and/or) if the music stops playing. We love the ACC.

Hokie fans can be so fickle sometimes...

My opinion of the ACC goes back and forth so much..if we would still had been at that 12 I would have been ok with being in the ACC forever.

But, to me, the first issue was having ND in as a partial member. I do not care what anyone says, I will believe ND is in full time when I see it signed and delivered.

I know the advantages of ND, but to me the negatives of partials, is too much.

Then we throw in Louisville, and to me that was a killer.

I know SEC will not happen to VT any time soon, if ever, and we are now in a conference that I do not know.

So, to me, it is a shoulder shrug from the point of view of where we are, and nothing that can be done about it. So no use to continue waste my breath

stable ACC > SEC > unstable ACC

Agree with you. I cannot stand in any way, shape or form what the ACC has morphed into these days. My interest in VT sports is at an all time low and I think it is mostly due to the conference realignment junk. The Seth Greenberg firing is also part of my malaise as I believe that a) the way it was handled, b) hiring a coach with no previous head coaching experience (especially no major conference head coaching experience) and c) being in a league that is now more BB talented - and congested - than what I feel we can now compete in meaningfully - it just depressed me basketball-wise. My girlfriend asked the other day if we were going to any football games this year and I just replied - "I dunno...". The ONLY motivation that I have to see a VT football game in person is if I know I will get to visit with some of my old Radford friends - other than that, I would just as soon watch on TV. I understand change and don't fight positive change but this ND "partial penetration" membership and having Louisville and Syracuse now in the league is change that I feel is very negative. College football in general and VT basketball are two well-screwed up messes. Oh, I'll watch games and root hard for the Hokies but mostly from the living room couch.

Quote Originally Posted by tcc_dc View Post
    My opinion of the ACC goes back and forth so much..if we would still had been at that 12 I would have been ok with being in the ACC forever.

But, to me, the first issue was having ND in as a partial member. I do not care what anyone says, I will believe ND is in full time when I see it signed and delivered.

I know the advantages of ND, but to me the negatives of partials, is too much.

Then we throw in Louisville, and to me that was a killer.

I know SEC will not happen to VT any time soon, if ever, and we are now in a conference that I do not know.

So, to me, it is a shoulder shrug from the point of view of where we are, and nothing that can be done about it. So no use to continue waste my breath

Quote Originally Posted by 133645Hokie View Post
    I just love the fact that, only 12 months after desperate calls for Virginia Tech to move to the SEC "before it's too late", we now see that the ACC is well-positioned for the future. And will be there when (and/or) if the music stops playing. We love the ACC.

Haven't changed my mind. I'd still like to go SEC.

The only thing that has changed is that leaving is now much harder. So no one bothers talking about what can't happen. SEC is still football king; and I'm not ashamed to have wanted to be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 133645Hokie View Post

Not sure how you define stability, but ACC has lost its identity for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuisvtguy View Post
    stable ACC > SEC > unstable ACC

When your primary, money-making sport is football, you should be in the very best football conference. The ACC is certainly not that conference. VT missed the boat when the opportunity was there. Now we're stuck in a basketball first conference controlled by the NC mafia, which is not much different from the SEC with schools that abuse NCAA regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    It seems like every conference has lost some identity during realignment. Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10, Missouri in the SEC, BC, Cuse, ...in the ACC, WVU in the Big 12. Some conferences like the AAC don't even have an identity.

ACC used to be a superior academic conference on the east coast that dominated bball

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Oh yeah, we still are.