Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I definitely have no insider info or am a guru but I really doubt that aside from ND football you'll see any major conferences do the "in for some sports and not for others" model. It remains to be seen how ND will work with the ACC, but I think ND football will be the only exception that can be made for this at "big 5" level.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    If all league's go to 20. Who would be next 5 potentially for ACC?

Texas?
    Would Baylor follow? (are they sorta a larger Wake?)
    Tulane(Lousiana and Nawlins market)
    BYU(football only....friends with Texas and ND) Farfetched maybe.!
    UCONN ESPN would want? Hope not
    Cincy? Ohio market. Seem to be working that way!
    Navy? ND wish? football only

Ok and would anymore BIG 12 teams follow?

OU?
    WVU?
    Tex Tech? Doubt

Here is my 5. Of course ND would be in full

I say TEXAS, Baylor(per Texas), BYU(football only)
    Navy(football only) and Cincy.

G'town and Villanova take Navy and BYU's place for other sports. Possibly!

BYU play's all other sports in WCC
    Navy in patriot as is.

ND division would have Navy in it of course.

About half of the SEC is in the southeast; Big Ten has 14 members; B12 has 10.

Quote Originally Posted by VT4FR View Post
    I shoulda' paid more attention in Geography class........ Texas & Oklahoma in an Atlantic conference. But with VT, Duke, UVA etc in a coastal division, I guess it fits. Of course there is Utah in the Pacific conference and Missouri in the Southeast and................ Oh, never mind.
    Crazy days....

We could rename ourselves the Atlantic, Gulf Coast, and Great Lakes Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Crazy days....
    Atlantic Coast has an Indiana school, a Kentucky School and a PA school (not to mention many of the schools in coastal states are far from coastal themselves)

Southeast has schools from Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas (southeast may be relative, so they get a pass)

BigTen has 14 (and had both 11 and 12 going back to ~1990)

Big12 has 10 (but i think this may be short lived, we'll see)

Pacific has schools from Arizona, Utah and Colorado (The AZ schools have been there since ~1979?)

oh well, it's just a name at the end of the day, right?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    Atlantic Coast has an Indiana school, a Kentucky School and a PA school (not to mention many of the schools in coastal states are far from coastal themselves)

Southeast has schools from Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas (southeast may be relative, so they get a pass)

BigTen has 14 (and had both 11 and 12 going back to ~1990)

Big12 has 10 (but i think this may be short lived, we'll see)

Pacific has schools from Arizona, Utah and Colorado (The AZ schools have been there since ~1979?)

oh well, it's just a name at the end of the day, right?
    WRT to PA, it does have 57 miles of shoreline along the Delaware Estuary which I believe is enough justification to including it in the Eastern Seaboard or Atlantic Seaboard even though it has no Atlantic coastline. I will admit that if you want to take a literal interpretation of the Atlantic Coast Conference, then you have to stretch a little to include PA. However, ACC sounds a whole lot better than ESC (Eastern Seaboard Conference) or ASC (Atlantic Seaboard Conference).

WRT the Pacific-12 Conference (PAC-12), is it possible that the conference name has evolved to mean more the time zone than whether the state is located on the Pacific coast? If you look at the history of the PAC-12, then it started out as the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) which clearly associates the conference name with Pacific coastal states. When the PCC disbanded, the Athletic Association of Western Universities (AAWU) was formed. The AAWU name does not indicate whether the state is along the Pacific coast or not even though the conference was made up of 4 CA and 1 WA schools (later 2 WA schools). Eventually, the AAWU became the Pacific-8 Conference (PAC-8) after the 2 OR schools joined. For a short period of time, the PAC-8 was the unofficial nickname of the AAWU which appears to have been influenced by the Big Eight Conference name. Is it possible that the nickname came about because the 8 schools were located in states along the Pacific coast and in the Pacific timezone? Then when the 2 AZ schools joined in 1978, the PAC-8 became the Pacific-10 Conference (PAC-10). Is it possible that the conference name started to symbolize more the Pacific timezone with the addition of the 2 AZ schools since there is a portion of Arizona (northwest corner) in the Pacific timezone? I realize it may still be a bit of a strength, but not completely unlogical of an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    WRT to PA, it does have 57 miles of shoreline along the Delaware Estuary which I believe is enough justification to including it in the Eastern Seaboard or Atlantic Seaboard even though it has no Atlantic coastline. I will admit that if you want to take a literal interpretation of the Atlantic Coast Conference, then you have to stretch a little to include PA. However, ACC sounds a whole lot better than ESC (Eastern Seaboard Conference) or ASC (Atlantic Seaboard Conference).

WRT the Pacific-12 Conference (PAC-12), is it possible that the conference name has evolved to mean more the time zone than whether the state is located on the Pacific coast? If you look at the history of the PAC-12, then it started out as the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) which clearly associates the conference name with Pacific coastal states. When the PCC disbanded, the Athletic Association of Western Universities (AAWU) was formed. The AAWU name does not indicate whether the state is along the Pacific coast or not even though the conference was made up of 4 CA and 1 WA schools (later 2 WA schools). Eventually, the AAWU became the Pacific-8 Conference (PAC-8) after the 2 OR schools joined. For a short period of time, the PAC-8 was the unofficial nickname of the AAWU which appears to have been influenced by the Big Eight Conference name. Is it possible that the nickname came about because the 8 schools were located in states along the Pacific coast and in the Pacific timezone? Then when the 2 AZ schools joined in 1978, the PAC-8 became the Pacific-10 Conference (PAC-10). Is it possible that the conference name started to symbolize more the Pacific timezone with the addition of the 2 AZ schools since there is a portion of Arizona (northwest corner) in the Pacific timezone? I realize it may still be a bit of a strength, but not completely unlogical of an explanation.
    Sure, but they now have 2 Mountain Time Zone members...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

My other dark horse besides Tulane is Navy. I would say ask Texas and ND who they want and most in the ACC would say yes to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Stech, you get one more. That just gets you to 19. I would personally take Temple because I want to lock down Pennsylvania. I know that they are more of a basketball school but we'd get ACC presence in Philly. Raycom is having a hard time getting one of the Philly Regional Sports Networks to pick up the ACC. Temple is ranked 125 academically, which is higher than Cincinnati at 139 who the ACC has been looking at. I think in either case we'd be getting another metro team in a state where there is a Flagship (Penn State and Ohio State). The Philly metro is bigger than the Cincy one, and we'd get the surrounding coverage in New Jersey, Delaware, etc.

But we might have to take Oklahoma State or Baylor due to political reasons.

Maybe to you, but not to the Presidents that have to raise Billions for academics and like the relationships that come out of being in the same athletic conference.

The B1G 10 and Ivy League are athletic conferences that have used their relationships to build amazing synergy for academics.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    the academic standing of candidates is vastly overrated. i'm not saying it is ignored but people seem to think it plays a bigger role than it actually does. imo, academics are only important until they aren't. louisville is a perfect example. you could add colorado to the pac 12 and nebraska to the big 10 as other relevant examples. baylor with their well rounded athletics and solid academic standing are the better option when compared to tulane (especially in mens basketball, which as we all know...is kind of important in the ACC).

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Maybe to you, but not to the Presidents that have to raise Billions for academics and like the relationships that come out of being in the same athletic conference.

The B1G 10 and Ivy League are athletic conferences that have used their relationships to build amazing synergy for academics.
    If expansion is based on other factors besides good football and men's basketball, Alabama-Birmingham and Cincinnati are highly ranked research universities. Both those schools were ranked much higher than Tulane. UAB was ranked #28, Cincinnati #43, and Tulane #74. Only 5 present ACC schools are ranked higher than UAB and UC. The Big 10's CIC is all about research and they added 2 more good ones in UMCP and Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Academics play a part. They have to and I understand the significance to the institution as a whole; however, the precedent is already established for conferences stooping out of their own perception of academics in the name of the better athletics and money. I guess what I'm saying is that I have no doubt that a conference will take a lower rated (possibly much lower) academic school with better all around athletics than an academic gem without one upper level major sport. When it comes down to it, a difference in 30 or 40 spots in academics can be easily overlooked.

Having said all of that, considering the slim pickings of potential candidates from mid majors (and the target number that the major conferences might shoot for...18 or 20)..I wouldn't be surprised to see schools like Ohio, Tulane, navy etc make the jump. And I would be ok with that.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Wed Jul 24 2013 at 07:24 PM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.