Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    The NBC deal isn't really a huge stumbling block if Notre Dame wanted to join the ACC in football tomorrow. The financial stuff would just remain as it is now with Notre Dame keeping its NBC money through the end of its NBC contract and not receiving a share of the ACC football revenue. After the NBC contract is up, Notre Dame home games go into the ACC television pot like everyone else's.
    John Swofford has confirmed that the ACC is ok with this publicly. In addition to keeping their NBC money, if Notre Dame joined they would then be able to earn money from the ACC footbal championship game. Their payout from the BCS playoffs and deal with the Orange Bowl would change to look like an ACC school.

If the conferences go to 20, I like ND (full member), Texas, Oklahoma, Tulane and UConn to the ACC to make it 20. Some of these I feel stronger about than others. All of them are top 100 Universities in new states. I know we just took Louisville, but I think they are the exception and not the rule. I also think that Louisville will become a top 100 University with the ACC coaching on how to get there.

PS I had heard that Navy and Army would come years ago, but I am not sure they want to pay the scholarship stipend that I think is coming to the top division.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    If all league's go to 20. Who would be next 5 potentially for ACC?

Texas?
    Would Baylor follow? (are they sorta a larger Wake?)
    Tulane(Lousiana and Nawlins market)
    BYU(football only....friends with Texas and ND) Farfetched maybe.!
    UCONN ESPN would want? Hope not
    Cincy? Ohio market. Seem to be working that way!
    Navy? ND wish? football only

Ok and would anymore BIG 12 teams follow?

OU?
    WVU?
    Tex Tech? Doubt

Here is my 5. Of course ND would be in full

I say TEXAS, Baylor(per Texas), BYU(football only)
    Navy(football only) and Cincy.

G'town and Villanova take Navy and BYU's place for other sports. Possibly!

BYU play's all other sports in WCC
    Navy in patriot as is.

ND division would have Navy in it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    If the conferences go to 20, I like ND (full member), Texas, Oklahoma, Tulane and UConn to the ACC to make it 20. Some of these I feel stronger about than others. All of them are top 100 Universities in new states. I know we just took Louisville, but I think they are the exception and not the rule. I also think that Louisville will become a top 100 University with the ACC coaching on how to get there.

PS I had heard that Navy and Army would come years ago, but I am not sure they want to pay the scholarship stipend that I think is coming to the top division.
    Stech, you get one more. That just gets you to 19. I would personally take Temple because I want to lock down Pennsylvania. I know that they are more of a basketball school but we'd get ACC presence in Philly. Raycom is having a hard time getting one of the Philly Regional Sports Networks to pick up the ACC. Temple is ranked 125 academically, which is higher than Cincinnati at 139 who the ACC has been looking at. I think in either case we'd be getting another metro team in a state where there is a Flagship (Penn State and Ohio State). The Philly metro is bigger than the Cincy one, and we'd get the surrounding coverage in New Jersey, Delaware, etc.

But we might have to take Oklahoma State or Baylor due to political reasons.
    Last edited by HOO86; Tue Jul 23 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Stech, you get one more. That just gets you to 19. I would personally take Temple because I want to lock down Pennsylvania. I know that they are more of a basketball school but we'd get ACC presence in Philly. Raycom is having a hard time getting one of the Philly Regional Sports Networks to pick up the ACC. Temple is ranked 125 academically, which is higher than Cincinnati at 139 who the ACC has been looking at. I think in either case we'd be getting another metro team in a state where there is a Flagship (Penn State and Ohio State). The Philly metro is bigger than the Cincy one, and we'd get the surrounding coverage in New Jersey, Delaware, etc.

But we might have to take Oklahoma State or Baylor due to political reasons.
    I think you almost have to take more than that out west. They certainly don't want to be out on an island. It's OK for fball, but everything else is tough to work out.

Tulane??? Seriously? Over Kansas, Baylor, or OkSt???

Furthermore, if we go to 4 divisions in the ACC, why add Uconn when the ACC North already rounds up nicely with BC, Pitt, SU, ND, and Louisville.

I shoulda' paid more attention in Geography class........ Texas & Oklahoma in an Atlantic conference. But with VT, Duke, UVA etc in a coastal division, I guess it fits. Of course there is Utah in the Pacific conference and Missouri in the Southeast and................ Oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

One more interesting tidbit from yesterday's press in Pennsylvania. I'm linking an article from State College Pennsylvania. I put in my other post that I wanted Temple. That's only because Penn State is not available. Penn State is actually what the ACC needs, and the Big Ten thinks their offering Rutgers and Maryland had kept Penn State away from the ACC.

Here is an article featuring Gene Corrigan. Yes he's an old man in his 80s rambling about yesteryear. But he did the same thing about Notre Dame and Eureaka, Notre Dame joined the ACC. He was out in multiple articles about the good old days and the ACC considering Notre Dame in the 80s and telling the story. Swofford said nothing and then boom. I know for a fact that Corrigan talks to Swofford regularly.

My question. Is this a courtesy article for Penn State, or are we on a mission planting seeds. Agsin this question is knowing Penn State is an excellent fit for the ACC. Maryland be damned. Go play Michigan with Rutgers. All of the recent discussion has been about Texas, but this is interesting.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...incart_m-rpt-2

Louisiana has 4.6 million people, and Tulane is in New Orleans with a brand new on campus stadium along with access to the Louisiana Superdome for bigger games against Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. Could put the ACC in running down the road for the Sugar Bowl, and we'd pick up an additional state. Tulane is also ranked 51 academically ahead of most of the others we're talking about.

Baylor is ranked 77 academically, and they have been competitive in football recently. They've won a couple of women's basketball national championships. Men's basketball is decent. Another good choice.

I wouldn't take Kansas. Let them rejoin Nebraska in the Big Ten. Oklahoma State is ranked 139 academically. They would not be attractive, but might be part of a pair with Oklahoma. They have had some good years in football recently, but generally they are not much of a factor.

When you're looking at this as a TV network, you want states. So yes Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Connecticut, and one other makes sense. Ohio perhaps with Cincinnati? Baylor would strenghten Texas. Temple would strengthen Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Louisiana has 4.6 million people, and Tulane is in New Orleans with a brand new on campus stadium along with access to the Louisiana Superdome for bigger games against Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. Could put the ACC in running down the road for the Sugar Bowl, and we'd pick up an additional state. Tulane is also ranked 51 academically ahead of most of the others we're talking about.

Baylor is ranked 77 academically, and they have been competitive in football recently. They've won a couple of women's basketball national championships. Men's basketball is decent. Another good choice.

I wouldn't take Kansas. Let them rejoin Nebraska in the Big Ten. Oklahoma State is ranked 139 academically. They would not be attractive, but might be part of a pair with Oklahoma. They have had some good years in football recently, but generally they are not much of a factor.

When you're looking at this as a TV network, you want states. So yes Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Connecticut, and one other makes sense. Ohio perhaps with Cincinnati? Baylor would strenghten Texas. Temple would strengthen Pennsylvania.
    the academic standing of candidates is vastly overrated. i'm not saying it is ignored but people seem to think it plays a bigger role than it actually does. imo, academics are only important until they aren't. louisville is a perfect example. you could add colorado to the pac 12 and nebraska to the big 10 as other relevant examples. baylor with their well rounded athletics and solid academic standing are the better option when compared to tulane (especially in mens basketball, which as we all know...is kind of important in the ACC).
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    the academic standing of candidates is vastly overrated. i'm not saying it is ignored but people seem to think it plays a bigger role than it actually does. imo, academics are only important until they aren't. louisville is a perfect example. you could add colorado to the pac 12 and nebraska to the big 10 as other relevant examples. baylor with their well rounded athletics and solid academic standing are the better option when compared to tulane (especially in mens basketball, which as we all know...is kind of important in the ACC).
    I hear you. I don't have any issue with Baylor. They would fit fine. I wouldn't really have any issue with SMU or TCU either. They are both top 100 academically as well.

For road trips, I am partial to New Orleans where Tulane is. Regarding their basketball, you never know. Miami wasn't much in basketball either. I just watched them win the ACC men's basketball tournament this year though. If Tulane were in the ACC, you can bet a good basketball coach from somewhere would want that job. Then they could turn it around in a hurry. In football, Tommy Bowden had them undefeated a while back. Same with football.