Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Stech, COBB, 83 or any other guru type...

If all league's go to 20. Who would be next 5 potentially for ACC?

Texas?
    Would Baylor follow? (are they sorta a larger Wake?)
    Tulane(Lousiana and Nawlins market)
    BYU(football only....friends with Texas and ND) Farfetched maybe.!
    UCONN ESPN would want? Hope not
    Cincy? Ohio market. Seem to be working that way!
    Navy? ND wish? football only

Ok and would anymore BIG 12 teams follow?

OU?
    WVU?
    Tex Tech? Doubt

Here is my 5. Of course ND would be in full

I say TEXAS, Baylor(per Texas), BYU(football only)
    Navy(football only) and Cincy.

G'town and Villanova take Navy and BYU's place for other sports. Possibly!

BYU play's all other sports in WCC
    Navy in patriot as is.

ND division would have Navy in it of course.

I'm not sure what schools will be added or what could happen...

The key to look for is if the Longhorn Network begins to implode due to losses by ESPN. Someone pointed out that Texas made north of $150 million on athletics last year. Part of that money is from the Longhorn Network that is paid to UT by ESPN. I seriously doubt that ESPN is interested in continuing to lose money on TLN going into the future. Do not forget that ESPN has already had two rounds of layoffs so far this year and the pressure on them to retain sports properties will become intense with new competition on the scene from Fox and NBC(Comcast).

If the word on the street comes out that TLN may go away, then that will likely be the catalyst for more movement within the conferences. My guess is that UT will not be interested in losing that revenue stream and they will be looking to broker a deal with another ESPN property to save the network and preserve at least part of that revenue stream. It just so happens that ESPN has a partner in the ACC that is just waiting to launch a network but needs another component to make it a national draw that will make the cable and satellite providers interested in carrying it.

As for other schools that could be added. Who knows? If the Big 12 becomes a target then their members will begin to scramble. Any other thoughts are just wild speculation at this point.

What's the deal with the PAC? Did Texas' LHN tick Scott off enough where UT can't entertain going to the PAC. That was all the big talk a few years ago. I just find it strange how quiet the PAC has been recently.

Plus, UT will most likely get blocked by aTm if they're thinking SEC.

What about the B1G? Do you think the BTN is of value to UT at this point or would be dividing up too much cash between schools for the Longhorns?

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    The key to look for is if the Longhorn Network begins to implode due to losses by ESPN. Someone pointed out that Texas made north of $150 million on athletics last year. Part of that money is from the Longhorn Network that is paid to UT by ESPN. I seriously doubt that ESPN is interested in continuing to lose money on TLN going into the future. Do not forget that ESPN has already had two rounds of layoffs so far this year and the pressure on them to retain sports properties will become intense with new competition on the scene from Fox and NBC(Comcast).

If the word on the street comes out that TLN may go away, then that will likely be the catalyst for more movement within the conferences. My guess is that UT will not be interested in losing that revenue stream and they will be looking to broker a deal with another ESPN property to save the network and preserve at least part of that revenue stream. It just so happens that ESPN has a partner in the ACC that is just waiting to launch a network but needs another component to make it a national draw that will make the cable and satellite providers interested in carrying it.

As for other schools that could be added. Who knows? If the Big 12 becomes a target then their members will begin to scramble. Any other thoughts are just wild speculation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    What's the deal with the PAC? Did Texas' LHN tick Scott off enough where UT can't entertain going to the PAC. That was all the big talk a few years ago. I just find it strange how quiet the PAC has been recently.

What about the B1G? Do you think the BTN is of value to UT at this point or would be dividing up too much cash between schools for the Longhorns?
    I think the ESPN connection is the big piece of the puzzle. The PAC-12 network is not an ESPN property and was not able to secure carriage on DirecTV which lends credence to the need for a national pull to get distribution. The Big 10 network is a Fox property and there is no way that ESPN will try to merge their property with a Fox property...no way.

Frankly, the SEC does not need Texas. If they don't need them, why would they want them?

The LHN did seem to be a point of contention with the PAC.
    Consider how the PAC has set up its cable network - as I understand it, there is a national all PAC network, and 6 regional networks - AZ, OR, WA, NoCAL, SoCAL and UTCO, per the link.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ease-calm-down

I can easily see the problem between TX and PAC being that the PAC wanted the LHN to be a regional network that also carried OK, OkST, TT, but TX wanting the LHN to be TX only, and probably NOT under the PAC umbrella. At that point, Dodds expected the LHN to have a lot more value than it does now.

Can Dodds take a deal now with the PAC? Will any deal with the PAC look like he sold out UT's golden egg to a bunch of granola hippy surfer dudes? This is definitely an occasion where pride can get in the way of business sense, and Dodd has to look for a nonPAC solution. Which brings him to the ACC, really the only other option for him.

BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

I think the ESPN connection is the big piece of the puzzle. The PAC-12 network is not an ESPN property and was not able to secure carriage on DirecTV which lends credence to the need for a national pull to get distribution. The Big 10 network is a Fox property and there is no way that ESPN will try to merge their property with a Fox property...no way.

Frankly, the SEC does not need Texas. If they don't need them, why would they want them?
    Makes perfect sense. How long is the LHN on the hook with ESPN (or vice versa)?

And I assume ND is locked in with NBC for about a decade. Meaning we could possibly see Texas as a full member of the ACC before ND. Have to say, UT and ND in one conference together makes me nervous.

The LHN is a 20-year deal that started in 2011 and pays UT about $300 million over the 20-year period. My math tells me that is worth $15 million per year.

I really do not think the ND deal with NBC is as much of a hurdle as everyone thinks. NBC has zero college football outside Notre Dame and I am sure that if they wanted into the ACC that an arrangement could be made to push all of NDs home games onto NBC while all of their other games would be part of the ACC rotation. If you are in the ACC do you really mind if you are going to be on national television when you play a road game at Notre Dame?

UT and ND do not scare me at all. It just solidifies the future of the ACC and makes it a much more palatable national television property. If you are Virginia Tech, you can become a national program by winning on a national stage that those schools will bring.

Makes perfect sense. How long is the LHN on the hook with ESPN (or vice versa)?

And I assume ND is locked in with NBC for about a decade. Meaning we could possibly see Texas as a full member of the ACC before ND. Have to say, UT and ND in one conference together makes me nervous.
    The NBC deal isn't really a huge stumbling block if Notre Dame wanted to join the ACC in football tomorrow. The financial stuff would just remain as it is now with Notre Dame keeping its NBC money through the end of its NBC contract and not receiving a share of the ACC football revenue. After the NBC contract is up, Notre Dame home games go into the ACC television pot like everyone else's.

agreed. there is already a connection between the ACC and Texas via ESPN. all parties involved will benefit significantly from getting Texas to the ACC. the hurdles to make the BIG 10 and PAC 12 work are significantly more than they would be for the joining the ACC. to me, the SEC is the only other option and it's not as good of an option as the ACC because of TAMU and the point you made...the SEC doesn't need Texas. maybe i'm over simplifying things but to me, it's that simple. it's more a matter of "when", imo.

and i agree with what someone else said regarding texas joining prior to ND. ND will want the Texas/ACC Network/ESPN blessed union of souls to happen before they commit and then they'll deal with NBC.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

If you listen to Deloss Dodds of Texas, he is saying that Texas has never been interested in the PAC 12. He says that it was Oklahoma that was interested in the PAC 12, and that Oklahoma reached out to him to see if Texas would go with Oklahoma to the PAC 12. He says that the PAC 12 wants Oklahoma, but the PAC 12 does not want Oklahoma without Texas. He said that when the PAC 12 started talking to Oklahoma, he started talking to John Swofford and the ACC. When the PAC 12 learned that he was talking to the ACC, the PAC 12 dropped the whole idea of taking Oklahoma.

How much of this you choose to believe is up to you because it's only coming from one source, Deloss Dodds. But what I take out of it is that Texas is not interested in the PAC 12. If they join another conference, they need to go east as well as go with an ESPN league. That leaves the ACC and the SEC if the Big XII implodes as the choices for Texas. I think Texas will like the Eastern and Southern States that the ACC would be able to get Texas access to better than the SEC because the ACC is in 4 SEC states already including Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky. Notre Dame just ices it.

I think that right now the focus is not on changing leagues as much as changing the NCAA Division. All the talk is about this new Power 5 Conference Division within the NCAA. What happens with this will need to happen before conference changes happen in my opinion. David Teel had a 5 paragraph interview in his column today about an interview with John Swofford about it.