Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Many of us would love to see that happen. Notre Dame is too strong of a football product (even in their horrible years) to ever have that happen. Notre Dame would have to play "Duke caliber" football for 50 years for them to ever drop to a second tier level of NCAA football.

There could be a lot of legal discord if superconferences truly break away from the NCAA. I could see schools like East Carolina, New Mexico, Hawaii, etc all suing the superconferences for creating an unfair advantage and almost monopoly-like scenario.
    ND is the tail wagging the dog. A new organization (super conferences) with new rules of participation could knock ND off it's high horse. That's the high horse the other teams allow them to ride. ND needs teams to play, all the other teams don't need Notre Dame. How many of the BCS National Champ teams played ND, regular season or post season, on their way to the championship - very few. It's not necessary to play ND to win the BCS but ND has to play BCS level schools to be in the hunt for the NC. If ND is black-balled, BCS teams refuse to play them, their product goes off the cliff and they will be begging a conference to take them.

Technically the super conferences have already broken away from the "lesser" schools creating an unfair advantage. The concept of BCS qualifying conferences did that years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    ND is the tail wagging the dog. A new organization (super conferences) with new rules of participation could knock ND off it's high horse. That's the high horse the other teams allow them to ride. ND needs teams to play, all the other teams don't need Notre Dame. How many of the BCS National Champ teams played ND, regular season or post season, on their way to the championship - very few. It's not necessary to play ND to win the BCS but ND has to play BCS level schools to be in the hunt for the NC. If ND is black-balled, BCS teams refuse to play them, their product goes off the cliff and they will be begging a conference to take them.

Technically the super conferences have already broken away from the "lesser" schools creating an unfair advantage. The concept of BCS qualifying conferences did that years ago.
    True. And we're only talking about 3 games here. Notre Dame will already be playing 5 ACC games. Getting to 8 is not that much of a stretch. With their 4 OOC games they can continue the 2 west coast games, Navy, and an open slot to rotate a Big Ten team into. The SEC hasn't been playing Notre Dame anyway. If the ACC merges in some of the Big XII like is being discussed here, then Notre Dame will get to play everywhere they need to in the ACC. Their only loss will be not being able to schedule teams like Michigan and Michigan State.

That is no more TV sets than they have access to now. I think Cobb has it nailed. UT can join a conference that gives them access to the most households, or stay in the one with the least. I think UT and ND join the ACC (in full) at the same time and become designated cross-division rivals. That would put ACC reps in 8 of the 13 most populous states, plus ND's national following.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    I undestand completely... that would be a truly ugly conference, wouldn't it? But who knows what Texas wants to do?

But if Texas can convince OU, Okla State, KU and KSU to stay in the future, then that might save the Big XII from becoming the new Big East of the Great Plains.
    Last edited by daveinop; Tue Jul 23 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    True. And we're only talking about 3 games here. Notre Dame will already be playing 5 ACC games. Getting to 8 is not that much of a stretch. With their 4 OOC games they can continue the 2 west coast games, Navy, and an open slot to rotate a Big Ten team into. The SEC hasn't been playing Notre Dame anyway. If the ACC merges in some of the Big XII like is being discussed here, then Notre Dame will get to play everywhere they need to in the ACC. Their only loss will be not being able to schedule teams like Michigan and Michigan State.
    Yep, all it takes is the collective forcing them into a conference. And there certainly seems to be some momentum to that. The SEC wants it and you know the ACC wants it. It simply isn't fair and their placement in the MNC Game proves that. They didn't have to play a conference championship game that could very well have opened up a spot for somebody else.

They are contractually obligated to join the ACC according to John Swofford today at the ACC Football media day. That explains why Notre Dame signed the GOR, agreed to the $52 million exit fee, and has been genuinely positive about the ACC. I also imagine that there is language in their NBC contract as well as in the ACC's ESPN contract that plans for this possibility in the next decade. I thought this was an interesting statement by Swofford. He has not been that open about this before.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gue-media-days
    They will be forced to long before then. That is if they want anyone else to schedule games with them.

Why do you believe SEC is an option for Texas now? Several years ago, I would believe the SEC was an option. Now, not so much.

I know the state of Texas is huge, but would aTm want to be rejoined with Texas? I doubt it. Why would SEC force aTm to rejoin Texas, when to this point at least, they haven't forced UF to welcome FSU. Or USC-e to welcome Clemson. Or UGA to welcome GT.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Sure, they'd be king but why would they want to be? I mean look at that potential conference. I can light a dumpster on fire and claim myself as king of that bad boy but in the end, what does it really mean? The writing is on the wall from my point of view. The Big 12 is, for all intents and purposes, done. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out but my money is on Texas swallowing some of their pride and joining one of the remaining options, the ACC and the SEC. From their point of view, there are worse options than competing with ND, FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami and that list of colleges you presented is one of those worse options.

Not being combative, just voicing my opinions.

They are contractually obligated to join the ACC according to John Swofford today at the ACC Football media day. That explains why Notre Dame signed the GOR, agreed to the $52 million exit fee, and has been genuinely positive about the ACC. I also imagine that there is language in their NBC contract as well as in the ACC's ESPN contract that plans for this possibility in the next decade. I thought this was an interesting statement by Swofford. He has not been that open about this before.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gue-media-days
    Thanks for the info. I continue to believe that the long-term plan is for Notre Dame to come "all in" for football eventually. The leadership just knows that the alumni and fan base need some time to warm up to the idea and develop some real rivalries with ACC teams. Five years from now, the idea of Notre Dame as a full ACC member will be a lot more palatable to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    Thanks for the info. I continue to believe that the long-term plan is for Notre Dame to come "all in" for football eventually. The leadership just knows that the alumni and fan base need some time to warm up to the idea and develop some real rivalries with ACC teams. Five years from now, the idea of Notre Dame as a full ACC member will be a lot more palatable to a lot of them.
    Don't think so. Their fans will go into a conference kicking and screaming that they're too good for that.

Texas let it be known they are NOT interested in the SEC due to poor academic schools. period. Big 10 has reversed its eye and is looking west. Ie kansas and oklahoma. iF texas jumps to the ACC, then Oklahome and Kansas to the big 10, SEC might get kansas state and ok state. remaining big 12 has to pick up mountain west candidates and BYU.