Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If Notre Dame decides to join a footbal conferenc before 2026-2027

They are contractually obligated to join the ACC according to John Swofford today at the ACC Football media day. That explains why Notre Dame signed the GOR, agreed to the $52 million exit fee, and has been genuinely positive about the ACC. I also imagine that there is language in their NBC contract as well as in the ACC's ESPN contract that plans for this possibility in the next decade. I thought this was an interesting statement by Swofford. He has not been that open about this before.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gue-media-days

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    They are contractually obligated to join the ACC according to John Swofford today at the ACC Football media day. That explains why Notre Dame signed the GOR, agreed to the $52 million exit fee, and has been genuinely positive about the ACC. I also imagine that there is language in their NBC contract as well as in the ACC's ESPN contract that plans for this possibility in the next decade. I thought this was an interesting statement by Swofford. He has not been that open about this before.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gue-media-days
    Makes sense. Notre Dame clearly wants to remain independent for as long as they can, but if the day comes where they decide they need to join a conference in football for whatever reason, then they will most likely be joining the ACC. The only other realistic option for them is the B1G, but they seem to have burned that bridge pretty well at this point. And I get the feeling that Notre Dame has taken great pleasure in giving the B1G the middle finger too.
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Mon Jul 22 2013 at 12:23 AM.

I have serious doubts that Notre Dame will join the ACC in football by the 26/27 season. After 2026/27, I envision the SEC, PAC, Big XII and B1G all expanding to 16 teams. The ACC will probably be at 15 teams in 2026/27 and Notre Dame remaining independent. By 2026/27, Notre Dame will probably try and work out a deal with the ACC to be treated equally as other football members without actually being a football member.

I guess having followed Big East football has made me too much of a pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    I have serious doubts that Notre Dame will join the ACC in football by the 26/27 season. After 2026/27, I envision the SEC, PAC, Big XII and B1G all expanding to 16 teams. The ACC will probably be at 15 teams in 2026/27 and Notre Dame remaining independent. By 2026/27, Notre Dame will probably try and work out a deal with the ACC to be treated equally as other football members without actually being a football member.

Who is the Big 12 going to get? Their money numbers are high mainly to low numbers, give them 12 teams and it starts to shrink. They have the weakest ground to stand on now and who knows what Texas will decide to do.
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

Of course, ND should negotiate anything and everything that would favor ND no matter the circumstance. Do you think, if the college football world ever gets to any semblance of "super conferences", assuming a break from the NCAA would accompany that, the new organization should exclude ND in the new organization unless ND is in one of those conferences? Then and only then will ND join a conference? Is there any other way ND will be "lowered" to the same level as the other schools?

Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Who is the Big 12 going to get? Their money numbers are high mainly to low numbers, give them 12 teams and it starts to shrink. They have the weakest ground to stand on now and who knows what Texas will decide to do.
    I think about that too, but if Texas stays and wants to remain king, then I could see the Big XII consisting of something like Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Memphis, KSU, ISU, Air Force, CSU, WVU, Cincy, USF and UCF after some schools like KU join the B1G and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join the SEC. A much inferior conference than today and the past, but they'll still have Texas and a few other past BCS caliber schools.

But who knows, we may end up with 3 - 20 teams conferences and one 19 team conference + Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Of course, ND should negotiate anything and everything that would favor ND no matter the circumstance. Do you think, if the college football world ever gets to any semblance of "super conferences", assuming a break from the NCAA would accompany that, the new organization should exclude ND in the new organization unless ND is in one of those conferences? Then and only then will ND join a conference? Is there any other way ND will be "lowered" to the same level as the other schools?
    Many of us would love to see that happen. Notre Dame is too strong of a football product (even in their horrible years) to ever have that happen. Notre Dame would have to play "Duke caliber" football for 50 years for them to ever drop to a second tier level of NCAA football.

There could be a lot of legal discord if superconferences truly break away from the NCAA. I could see schools like East Carolina, New Mexico, Hawaii, etc all suing the superconferences for creating an unfair advantage and almost monopoly-like scenario.

I think about that too, but if Texas stays and wants to remain king, then I could see the Big XII consisting of something like Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Memphis, KSU, ISU, Air Force, CSU, WVU, Cincy, USF and UCF after some schools like KU join the B1G and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join the SEC.
    Sure, they'd be king but why would they want to be? I mean look at that potential conference. I can light a dumpster on fire and claim myself as king of that bad boy but in the end, what does it really mean? The writing is on the wall from my point of view. The Big 12 is, for all intents and purposes, done. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out but my money is on Texas swallowing some of their pride and joining one of the remaining options, the ACC and the SEC. From their point of view, there are worse options than competing with ND, FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami and that list of colleges you presented is one of those worse options.

Not being combative, just voicing my opinions.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Not being combative, just voicing my opinions.
    I undestand completely... that would be a truly ugly conference, wouldn't it? But who knows what Texas wants to do?

But if Texas can convince OU, Okla State, KU and KSU to stay in the future, then that might save the Big XII from becoming the new Big East of the Great Plains.
    Last edited by Calamitous; Mon Jul 22 2013 at 12:25 PM.

I undestand completely... that would be a truly ugly conference, wouldn't it? But who knows what texas wants to do?
    if you were the head honcho, looking around at the current landscape of your conference and the other conferences, what would you do?

i'd set up a matrix that contained money, culture, competitiveness, academics, reputation, geography, and stability. based on that matrix, it would point me at the ACC and SEC.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Mon Jul 22 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.