Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exactly, but I think they go to 4 Divsions with 5 teams in each to be inclusive enough to get a political majority and to pick up more eye balls for the TV sets.

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Tiger View Post
    Four 16-team conferences is precisely what was planned with the establishment of the BCS. That and to prevent teams like BYU from winning the national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    The NCAA will not be involved in any way.
    I actually hope not and they start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Exactly, but I think they go to 4 Divsions with 5 teams in each to be inclusive enough to get a political majority and to pick up more eye balls for the TV sets.
    I think Congress may force it to be something like 4x20. That way fewer schools are left out of this money grab.

That is my guess too, but if you take the 5 current BCS conferences and ND you come up with 65 teams. So 4 times 16 would be 64 in...which would leave one current BCS school out. I like LSU heard it would be 64, but I just find it hard to believe they can leave so many schools out without a major backlash. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think Congress may force it to be something like 4x20. That way fewer schools are left out of this money grab.

Wouldn't 5 x 16 accomplish the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Darn math major had to get involved.

Sure would. But one or two of the five will be much weaker. Additionally, I think the playoff format would encourage four champs.

Sure would. But one or two of the five will be much weaker. Additionally, I think the playoff format would encourage four champs.
    Until they go to an 8 team playoff, then we'll need 8x16 team conferences.

4 conferences set up better for the playoff then 5. With 4 conferences and 4 divisions in a conference you come up with the Sweet 16. First two divisions will play each other, then the conference championship, then the 4 conference champions play each other...finally leaving the National Championship game.

I suspect the Division Champions will play each other at the highest rated team's home field. Then Conference Championship will be neutral like it is now, the final four will be like it will be for the playoff and then the National Championship is the same as the new playoff. The only thing they need to add is he Division Champions games...which IMHO will be a home game for the highest ranked team.

PS You could do that with 5, but it gets more complicated and political as to who gets in the playoffs.

i agree. i wonder if a team could be required to maintain (or at least have access to) a certain stadium size to host a playoff game.