Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quote in Gene Frenette's column today, "There are now five major conferences with the

Big East's demise and another one (Big 12?) might soon be on the endangered species list. Not too long after a four-team playoff starts in 2014, we're probably going to have four 16-team super conferences controlling an obscene amount of money."

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    Big East's demise and another one (Big 12?) might soon be on the endangered species list. Not too long after a four-team playoff starts in 2014, we're probably going to have four 16-team super conferences controlling an obscene amount of money."
    Interesting. Link?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Another 4x16 prediction without basis. I'm not sure why people keep repeating this. If the Pac12 doesn't get Texas and Oklahoma, they aren't going to 16. Also, it is entirely possible that some conferences will go beyond 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Another 4x16 prediction without basis. I'm not sure why people keep repeating this. If the Pac12 doesn't get Texas and Oklahoma, they aren't going to 16. Also, it is entirely possible that some conferences will go beyond 16.
    Any time you hear someone predict 4x16 team conferences, you know they are clueless. The process of conference expansion is way too uncoordinated and haphazard to realistically believe that we will end up with this perfectly symmetrical 4x16 team conference scenario at the end of the process.
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Mon Jul 22 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Truth. It is every school and every conference for itself. There is no one looking out for the long-term good of the sport.

Moreover, 4x16 leaves way too many schools out, which will open the door to politics and litigation galore.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Any time you hear someone predict 4x16 team conferences, you know they are clueless. The process of conference expansion is way too uncoordinated and haphazard to realistically believe that we will end up with this perfectly symmetrical 4x16 team conference scenario at the end of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    I disagree a bit. There seems to be a bit of coordination going on nowadays. This whole playoff and bowl alliance speaks to that. The 5 power conferences seem to be edging away from everybody else and certainly have the long term in mind. Yes, the B1G just tried to raid the ACC, but the conference withstood. I do think the top 64-80 schools are going to be essentially in their own division fairly soon, and the NCAA may or may not b involved. This paying players and enormous gaps in payouts stuff is fueling that fire. Anyhow, I could even see the 4 working quite well together in arranging the future BIG 80 map.

I think the Florida Times-Union is Jacksonville.com....may be a subscription article
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Interesting. Link?

perfect symmetry is not the point of the quote.
    Last edited by daveinop; Mon Jul 22 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I disagree a bit. There seems to be a bit of coordination going on nowadays. This whole playoff and bowl alliance speaks to that. The 5 power conferences seem to be edging away from everybody else and certainly have the long term in mind. Yes, the B1G just tried to raid the ACC, but the conference withstood. I do think the top 64-80 schools are going to be essentially in their own division fairly soon, and the NCAA may or may not b involved. This paying players and enormous gaps in payouts stuff is fueling that fire. Anyhow, I could even see the 4 working quite well together in arranging the future BIG 80 map.
    The NCAA will not be involved in any way.

Four Conferences

Four 16-team conferences is precisely what was planned with the establishment of the BCS. That and to prevent teams like BYU from winning the national championship.