Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    The LHN is doing poorly, and yet the Texas Athletic Dept pulled down $163 million. Where is the motivation for Texas or ND to take such an unfathomable pay cut? Think about the chump change waiting for them in the ACC. You "TX & ND to the ACC" theorists always mention money, but you clearly don't think about it at all.

In your many realignment scenarios, you include schools (Memphis, SMU, Houston, Col ST. ) that cannot earn anywhere their own keep in a major conference.

The reality is, The ACC is locked-in thru 2026/27 to ESPN for less than $20 million per year. When you consider schools to add, consider ones that could accept that level of TV money.
    Scratching my head as I've never said "Texas to ACC". All I was doing is pointing out a possible motive. I doubt anything happens soon, I have no idea if Texas is really considering this, and I'm actually not sure I care. However, it's kinda fun to talk about, and also easy to refute a point or 2 of yours. For example, the $163 million UT brought in. Dude....that wasn't all TV money. If they were to change conferences.....they'd still have big donations, sell out a large stadium, get a major bowl payout (ie, any conference they join would get better bowls), etc. etc. If they changed to the ACC, that $163 would still be there. As for the ACC TV money being locked in, a major change in membership normally opens the contract to renegotiation.

There is huge talk that the bcs schools will be going to another division where they may get stipends and make their own rules . The bcs schools are very frustrated with the NCAA.

With this jump might cause some ripple effects in conference membership"""

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    Scratching my head as I've never said "Texas to ACC". All I was doing is pointing out a possible motive. I doubt anything happens soon, I have no idea if Texas is really considering this, and I'm actually not sure I care. However, it's kinda fun to talk about, and also easy to refute a point or 2 of yours. For example, the $163 million UT brought in. Dude....that wasn't all TV money. If they were to change conferences.....they'd still have big donations, sell out a large stadium, get a major bowl payout (ie, any conference they join would get better bowls), etc. etc. If they changed to the ACC, that $163 would still be there. As for the ACC TV money being locked in, a major change in membership normally opens the contract to renegotiation.
    You're absolutely right, Late. That revenue is from all sources, but I use it to point out that the failure of the LHN would not plunge Texas into some desparate kneejerk move. They have time and money to explore options, including independent status. Besides, I can't see that Texas is vulnerable to the Network's shortcomings. They sold the content to ESPN and ESPN is responsible for monetizing it. Texas, I suspect, gets the $15 million whether the network prospers or not.

My other point of frustration with realignment talk is that IMHO there are but a very few teams that make sense in relocation. To the ACC, for example, an added member would need to be a big enough draw to contribute more to the conference coffers that the $20 million currently being paid. Texas could certainly do that, and both Oklahoma schools, as well. But I doubt that Kansas could, nor any of the other BIG XII schools. Cincy, UConn, shouldn't even be in the discussion.

Only monster programs (and Texas is certainly one) can change conferences in the next decade. Likely, none will. I believe the B1G will try to poach the SEC (Florida, Vanderbilt) before they renew their Tier 1 & 2 contracts in 2016. They will not likely succeed, but they want to be at "16" before 2017, so they will make a play.