Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

He said we are happy right now, but always ready to change if things change...I am not sure how you come up with that as a lie. If he came out and said we will never ever change...that would be a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    If Cobb's assertion has any teeth, then Swofford has lied to the American public yet again with his "we see no further need to expand" statement. If this happens, Swofford needs counseling for obsessive–compulsive disorder in regard to raiding conferences.

And maybe I need to stay current with the times, but I thought Deloss Dodds was happy EXACTLY where Texas is. Has something changed recently?

And I'll say it again, inviting ND AND Texas to the ACC is like inviting the Kardashians and Hilton sisters to my house, only to have them raze my dwelling, clear my land, kick me out and eventually give it all to Kanye West because my property was never good enough for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    He said we are happy right now, but always ready to change if things change...I am not sure how you come up with that as a lie. If he came out and said we will never ever change...that would be a lie.
    From the Associated Press: After Commissioner John Swofford welcomed Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame to the ACC at a news conference at the NASDAQ stock exchange in Manhattan, he said that further expansion isn't on the agenda. "It's not a topic of conversation for us right now," he said. "I would not anticipate it being in the future, but we'll see. I don't predict the future much anymore, I've learned better. But it's not something that's on the table for discussion in our league right now."

"Technically" not a lie but very misleading if Texas is currently on the table after making that statement less than a month ago... wouldn't you agree? Saying Swofford isn't lying is like rationalizong what the meaning of "IS" is. Let's just say Swofford crafts his language carefully so he can make us think expansion is over when it may be alive and well. Regardless, it keeps this message board going.

BTW... I have no problem with Swofford. I do have a problem with ND and Texas being together in the ACC... but that's not our call to make. I hope Hollywood makes a movie of this (similar to Pirates of Silicon Valley) after all the dusts settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    And maybe I need to stay current with the times, but I thought Deloss Dodds was happy EXACTLY where Texas is. Has something changed recently?
    Longhorn Network doing poorly. I'm not saying Texas to ACC will happen, but if you're looking for a motivation, the LHN underperforming could be it.

Hokies you will learn a lot of what it going on behind the scenes with his post...where a great deal of the CR action is taking place.

PS Oh yea, law has got the the Texas thing right. Getting ND and Texas is like getting the Yankees and the Cowboys to join your conference. Like it or not...it's a pretty big deal. $$$$$$$$$$$...just a little clue.
    Thank you Stech.

So just to level set things...

When we are talking the crazy world of conference realignment, you have to remember that this is and will always be driven by the almighty dollar. Right now, there have been some extremely important developments in this story recently that cannot be ignored:

1. ACC Grant of Rights was huge. The money is not big enough for anyone to jump ship and the conference has guaranteed itself safety from defections for years to come.
    2. Creation of the SEC Network. ESPN is VERY serious about making this a major property with major distribution. They want no part of a Longhorn Network 2.0. Right now the SEC has a brand that can play nationally and ESPN knows it.
    3. Notre Dame with one foot in the ACC. Of course the Domers want to retain football independence so that they can keep all of the cash that comes with it. But there is a very real scenario that will bar them as an independent from playing in the football playoff. The NCAA tournament in basketball forced their hand with all sports except football and the college football playoff may supply the impetus for football to get in a league as well. The ACC will be their home when that happens.
    4. Swofford's comments today on a superleague for NCAA high profile football. Guess what gang...we are going to have 4 conferences playing for the big title. The Big 12 is on the shaky ground right now and may be the last hurdle to fall before we get to the magic number of 4.

Now, I am in the Cable TV business and I have already been working on our project to integrate the SEC Network into our system as well as enhancing other ESPN properties like the World Cup and the Masters into our plans for our new products that are coming out soon. Remember that the most valuable properties right now in the TV business are sports properties. They command the most money because they are resistant to the DVR (meaning that it is tough to watch a sporting event live and fast forward through the advertising) and they are a chief reason to not cut the cord to Netflix and Hulu. We will soon have Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2...along with the NBC Sports Network that will all be major players in sports rights fees.

Now add the SEC Network to the mix as part of the ESPN family along with their current stable of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN News. They also own the Longhorn Network but that has been a nightmare for them to find distribution. If ESPN can create an ACC Network, they will need something to sweeten it in order to get national distribution. Add Notre Dame...and add a major university with a struggling ESPN television network and add that to a strong Atlantic Coast presence and you have a winner.

also, for those of you worried that conferences will get too big...remember that all of these sports networks need content! More teams equals more games equals enough content to carry on 24/7 networks.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    Thank you Stech.

When we are talking the crazy world of conference realignment, you have to remember that this is and will always be driven by the almighty dollar. Right now, there have been some extremely important developments in this story recently that cannot be ignored:

1. ACC Grant of Rights was huge. The money is not big enough for anyone to jump ship and the conference has guaranteed itself safety from defections for years to come.
    2. Creation of the SEC Network. ESPN is VERY serious about making this a major property with major distribution. They want no part of a Longhorn Network 2.0. Right now the SEC has a brand that can play nationally and ESPN knows it.
    3. Notre Dame with one foot in the ACC. Of course the Domers want to retain football independence so that they can keep all of the cash that comes with it. But there is a very real scenario that will bar them as an independent from playing in the football playoff. The NCAA tournament in basketball forced their hand with all sports except football and the college football playoff may supply the impetus for football to get in a league as well. The ACC will be their home when that happens.
    4. Swofford's comments today on a superleague for NCAA high profile football. Guess what gang...we are going to have 4 conferences playing for the big title. The Big 12 is on the shaky ground right now and may be the last hurdle to fall before we get to the magic number of 4.

Now, I am in the Cable TV business and I have already been working on our project to integrate the SEC Network into our system as well as enhancing other ESPN properties like the World Cup and the Masters into our plans for our new products that are coming out soon. Remember that the most valuable properties right now in the TV business are sports properties. They command the most money because they are resistant to the DVR (meaning that it is tough to watch a sporting event live and fast forward through the advertising) and they are a chief reason to not cut the cord to Netflix and Hulu. We will soon have Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2...along with the NBC Sports Network that will all be major players in sports rights fees.

Now add the SEC Network to the mix as part of the ESPN family along with their current stable of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN News. They also own the Longhorn Network but that has been a nightmare for them to find distribution. If ESPN can create an ACC Network, they will need something to sweeten it in order to get national distribution. Add Notre Dame...and add a major university with a struggling ESPN television network and add that to a strong Atlantic Coast presence and you have a winner.

also, for those of you worried that conferences will get too big...remember that all of these sports networks need content! More teams equals more games equals enough content to carry on 24/7 networks.
    Good Stuff. I can totally see the Big XII being left behind especially if the ACC Network gets off the ground. The population in the current Big XII footprint is much smaller than the other 4 power conferences. Merging members of that conference in with others that have networks will most likely be the result. With Notre Dame locked into the ACC as well as the ACC offering the East Coast and Florida, the ACC will be an attractive option to Texas. I think more attractive than California and the PAC 12 who they looked at before.

Thanks for this very informative summation.

Thank you Stech.

Spot on folks! This poster is all over it again. Also the 4 *divisions will give you close regional rivalries with a huge amount at stake in those games. The UVa Tech game will be huge since the *division title will be at stake and the winner of the division advances to the conference championship (essentially the first round of the playoff). This will be true of the UNC NCSU game and on and on. There will be plenty of must see rivalry games that have national championship implications.

*I hate the word Pods, please call them Divsions when this happens!

PS Just look at the B1G 10 and the Ivy League for the academic alliances that can be built within an athletic conference. That's what the ACC is building.

Thank you Stech.

Spot on folks! This poster is all over it again. Also the 4 *divisions will give you close regional rivalries with a huge amount at stake in those games. The UVa Tech game will be huge since the *division title will be at stake and the winner of the division advances to the conference championship (essentially the first round of the playoff). This will be true of the UNC NCSU game and on and on. There will be plenty of must see rivalry games that have national championship implications.

*I hate the word Pods, please call them Divsions when this happens!

PS Just look at the B1G 10 and the Ivy League for the academic alliances that can be built within an athletic conference. That's what the ACC is building.

I agree, "pods" stinks. Go with divisions:
    NORTH: Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College
    EAST: Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia
    SOUTH: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest
    WEST: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    I agree, "pods" stinks. Go with divisions:
    NORTH: Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College
    EAST: Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia
    SOUTH: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest
    WEST: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Baylor
    Sold! Where do I sign? That is one heck of a conference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    Longhorn Network doing poorly. I'm not saying Texas to ACC will happen, but if you're looking for a motivation, the LHN underperforming could be it.
    The LHN is doing poorly, and yet the Texas Athletic Dept pulled down $163 million. Where is the motivation for Texas or ND to take such an unfathomable pay cut? Think about the chump change waiting for them in the ACC. You "TX & ND to the ACC" theorists always mention money, but you clearly don't think about it at all.

In your many realignment scenarios, you include schools (Memphis, SMU, Houston, Col ST. ) that cannot earn anywhere their own keep in a major conference.

The reality is, The ACC is locked-in thru 2026/27 to ESPN for less than $20 million per year. When you consider schools to add, consider ones that could accept that level of TV money.