Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    If the ACC isn't good enough AS IS, then VT should try to get in the SEC. For the ACC, prosperity is always right around the corner...with the next expansion, that is. I'm actually getting tired of it...and that is coming from an expansion news junkie.

The ACC ruined the Big East without improving itself. I'm not interested in ruining the BigXII at this point.
    Part of me agrees that the ACC should stay in the current region we're in and grow the league here. If we need another team there is UConn and Cincinnati or even West Virginia in the region. But I can also imagine that expanding the footprint into Texas would be attractive to the football coaches in the ACC for recruiting, and expanding the reach geographically into Texas would be attractive to ESPN for the network the ACC is putting together. I can also see Texas thinking getting the Longhorn network into the States that the ACC is located in would help the Long Horn Network. When you think as a TV network rather than an athletic conference it changes the whole game.

Exactly. Schools with high value will be fine. Schools with mediocre value need to get lucky. Schools with little value need to get really lucky (eg: like Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and NorthWestern have)

The moment the Big Ten needed a twelfth member, Nebraska was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    "Factor" = contributing element. Stop testifying for me, counselor. Texas' behavior, as I stated, was a FACTOR. I never said it was the sole reason. Nebraska was not happy to let the old Big 8 rivalries lapse. And tu's behavior was probably the single biggest factor in driving A&M Into the SEC.

I also note only one school has left the ACC -- a third of the BiG XII has fled. You're bringing in a red herring with MD, btw -- it's not germane to the topic at hand (Texas' behavior) -- but you tend to change the subject when you get caught in an error (see the exchange re Texas' being in "essentially" the same conference for its entire history).
    I can't imagine any president of NU passing on the Big Ten under any circumstances. The Big Twelve could never compete with the Big Ten. How many Big Twelve schools would choose the Big Ten over the one-for-all SEC too? Texas' behavior (whatever that means) was a non-factor. You have to accept the fact that if the ACC has accepted Notre Dame - a school that has actually abandoned its conference - that UT's sharp business practices are no bar.

You also have to accept that if the ACC accepted VT - a school whose behavior in the BE-ACC litigation could be characterized as 'scandalous' - then UT's sharp business practices (forming a network - gasp!) are certanly no bar. Name one act in UT's history that is as underhanded as switching sides in a critical litigation and I'll see your point.

And as for conference affiliation, the B12 was a merger of the SWC and Big Eight. When two companies merge, people claim seniority back to day one. Texas has been with the company for nearly a century. How many schools in CFB can make that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    tu's behavior was probably the single biggest factor in driving A&M Into the SEC.
    Many would argue that the two largest factors TAMU left were money and the writing on the wall. I'm not inclined to believe that decisions involving hundreds of millions of dollars are being driven by "behavior". If behavior was a factor at all, it would have been a very small portion of the cherry on top of the money sundae.

I'm no CEO or executive but making decisions largely based on emotion seems like a bad business practice. To me, it sounds more like a fan perspective than anything else.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

And the timing for A&M's departure dispels that myth anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Many would argue that the two largest factors TAMU left were money and the writing on the wall. I'm not inclined to believe that decisions involving hundreds of millions of dollars are being driven by "behavior". If behavior was a factor at all, it would have been a very small portion of the cherry on top of the money sundae.

I'm no CEO or executive but making decisions largely based on emotion seems like a bad business practice. To me, it sounds more like a fan perspective than anything else.
    A&M is a conference mate of Texas for nearly a century, and suddenly UT's 'behavior' prompts a move? I think the money, prestige, and rock-solid stability of the SEC had a little bit more to do with the move.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    A&M is a conference mate of Texas for nearly a century, and suddenly UT's 'behavior' prompts a move? I think the money, prestige, and rock-solid stability of the SEC had a little bit more to do with the move.
    Agreed. I guess I should qualify my statement on making emotional decisions because it does happen. It wouldn't surprise me to see the bad blood between TAMU and UT being a fairly important factor when it comes to deciding between the ACC and the SEC.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.