Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

How to get Texas and make the ACC the best FB and BBall conference.

NorthEast Pod
    A) Syracuse B) Boston College
    A) Louisville B) Pittsburgh

MidEastern Pod
    A) Virginia Tech B) UVA
    A) UNC B) NC State

SouthEastern Pod
    A) Clemson B) Georgia Tech
    A) Miami B) FSU

SouthCentral Pod
    A) Oklahoma State B) Oklahoma
    A) Texas B) Texas Tech or Baylor

How it Works:

1. I realize that the above pod system is somewhat radical because it does not include Duke and Wake. The solution is to allow Duke and Wake to participate as non-ACC Football members, similar to Notre Dame's arrangement. Maybe this is unrealistic, but the reality is Wake and Duke are highly unlikely to sustainably compete as ACC football members. They bring very little to the ACC in football, so let them get the financial and scheduling benefits of playing some ACC opponents each year, but not to the point where they get constantly beat up both record-wise and financially. They will still be full-time ACC basketball and olympic sports members, just like ND.

2. The other somewhat radical factor is that a conference championship game can still be staged without the current silly format where each team must play each team within it's own division. For conference championships, the top 2 teams overall based on conference standing (or ranking) play in the championship game.

3. Scheduling wise, each team plays each other team within their own Pod every year, which helps minimize travel costs and ensures yearly regional rivals. No more designated cross-over rivalries.

4. A single team in group A shall play each other team from group A one year home/away, then play that same team from group A the next year away/home. Then, do the same with each team from group B the following 2 years.
    This balances strength of schedules, encourages some travel to different regions of the country regularly, and forces each team to go no more than just 2 years without playing a team in the ACC.

5. The following teams will play a minimum of 5 floating games per year that do not count toward ACC Standings: Notre Dame, Duke, Wake. If Duke wants to play UNC each year, then either slot it in as an OOC game for UNC, or don't actually force Duke and Wake to rotate through each team like ND does, since non Carolina teams are probably fine not playing them anyway.

Example of VT's schedule:

Year 1: UVA, UNC, @NC State | Syracuse, Lousville, Clemson, @Miami, @Oklahoma State, @Texas, OOC1, OOC2
    Year 2:@UVA, @UNC, NC State | @Syracuse, @Lousville, @Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma State, Texas, OOC1, OOC2
    Year 3: UVA, UNC, @NC State | Boston College, Pittsburg, Georgia Tech, @FSU, @Oklahoma, @Texas Tech, @Notre Dame, OOC2
    Year 4: @UVA, @UNC, NC State | @Boston College, @Pittsburg, @Georgia Tech, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, OOC1, OOC2

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisvtguy View Post
    NorthEast Pod
    A) Syracuse B) Boston College
    A) Louisville B) Pittsburgh

MidEastern Pod
    A) Virginia Tech B) UVA
    A) UNC B) NC State

SouthEastern Pod
    A) Clemson B) Georgia Tech
    A) Miami B) FSU

SouthCentral Pod
    A) Oklahoma State B) Oklahoma
    A) Texas B) Texas Tech or Baylor

How it Works:

1. I realize that the above pod system is somewhat radical because it does not include Duke and Wake. The solution is to allow Duke and Wake to participate as non-ACC Football members, similar to Notre Dame's arrangement. Maybe this is unrealistic, but the reality is Wake and Duke are highly unlikely to sustainably compete as ACC football members. They bring very little to the ACC in football, so let them get the financial and scheduling benefits of playing some ACC opponents each year, but not to the point where they get constantly beat up both record-wise and financially. They will still be full-time ACC basketball and olympic sports members, just like ND.

2. The other somewhat radical factor is that a conference championship game can still be staged without the current silly format where each team must play each team within it's own division. For conference championships, the top 2 teams overall based on conference standing (or ranking) play in the championship game.

3. Scheduling wise, each team plays each other team within their own Pod every year, which helps minimize travel costs and ensures yearly regional rivals. No more designated cross-over rivalries.

4. A single team in group A shall play each other team from group A one year home/away, then play that same team from group A the next year away/home. Then, do the same with each team from group B the following 2 years.
    This balances strength of schedules, encourages some travel to different regions of the country regularly, and forces each team to go no more than just 2 years without playing a team in the ACC.

5. The following teams will play a minimum of 5 floating games per year that do not count toward ACC Standings: Notre Dame, Duke, Wake. If Duke wants to play UNC each year, then either slot it in as an OOC game for UNC, or don't actually force Duke and Wake to rotate through each team like ND does, since non Carolina teams are probably fine not playing them anyway.

Example of VT's schedule:

Year 1: UVA, UNC, @NC State | Syracuse, Lousville, Clemson, @Miami, @Oklahoma State, @Texas, OOC1, OOC2
    Year 2:@UVA, @UNC, NC State | @Syracuse, @Lousville, @Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma State, Texas, OOC1, OOC2
    Year 3: UVA, UNC, @NC State | Boston College, Pittsburg, Georgia Tech, @FSU, @Oklahoma, @Texas Tech, @Notre Dame, OOC2
    Year 4: @UVA, @UNC, NC State | @Boston College, @Pittsburg, @Georgia Tech, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, OOC1, OOC2
    Doesn't Texas have their own TV network and aren't willing to share revenue or some crazy thing. While it looks like a great conference I think it's highly unlikely.

I would like to see both Wake and Duke abandon football completely. Maybe in return the ACC could sign a long term deal to remain in all the other sports indefinitely. Even a cash buyout. They are just to small to compete in football and what few recruits they do get just weakens the league.

Wake Forest won the ACC in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    Doesn't Texas have their own TV network and aren't willing to share revenue or some crazy thing. While it looks like a great conference I think it's highly unlikely.

I would like to see both Wake and Duke abandon football completely. Maybe in return the ACC could sign a long term deal to remain in all the other sports indefinitely. Even a cash buyout. They are just to small to compete in football and what few recruits they do get just weakens the league.
    Duke has the financial resources to be good in football. They just haven't put forth much effort. Duke is a wealthy school. If Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern can compete at the highest level, Duke should too. I think they're showing more of a commitment the past few years with the hire of David Cutcliffe and plans to expand Wallace Wade Stadium and upgrade their football facilities.

Wake is another story. It's like having Richmond in the ACC. Unlike Duke, Wake Forest has put forth some effort. They even won the Atlantic Division one season over much larger and wealthier athletic departments like FSU, Clemson, and NC State. They also renovated BB&T Field and upgraded their facilities. I'd like to see at least 40,000 seats, not the 31,500 they presently have. They have a respected head coach but Wake will always struggle because it's such a small school with a small alumni base.

I seriously doubt that those 2 schools will give up football or drop to a lower level. I just want those 2 to get to the level of Vanderbilt and Northwestern. Heck, I'd like to see a few other ACC schools do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    I forgot they won the ACC. I remember them winning the Atlantic. I guess they lost to Louisville in the Orange Bowl that year?

I personally don't want Texas. If ACC survival is at stake, I'd rather take the Oklahoma duo.

But can they be sustainably good? Small fan base, football in the red.

nm
    Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post

But with pods, you get Oklahoma, Ok St, and Texas Tech.

Football valuations: Duke: $62M, Texas: $761M [link]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...183417888.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Duke has the financial resources to be good in football. They just haven't put forth much effort. Duke is a wealthy school. If Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern can compete at the highest level, Duke should too. I think they're showing more of a commitment the past few years with the hire of David Cutcliffe and plans to expand Wallace Wade Stadium and upgrade their football facilities.

Wake is another story. It's like having Richmond in the ACC. Unlike Duke, Wake Forest has put forth some effort. They even won the Atlantic Division one season over much larger and wealthier athletic departments like FSU, Clemson, and NC State. They also renovated BB&T Field and upgraded their facilities. I'd like to see at least 40,000 seats, not the 31,500 they presently have. They have a respected head coach but Wake will always struggle because it's such a small school with a small alumni base.

I seriously doubt that those 2 schools will give up football or drop to a lower level. I just want those 2 to get to the level of Vanderbilt and Northwestern. Heck, I'd like to see a few other ACC schools do the same.
    I don't think either will drop football but I doubt either will ever rise to the success of Stanford or even Northwestern or Vaderbilt. Duke and Wake Forest are just much smaller. Plus, there are to many schools all in the same general area splitting the player pool. Wake Forest had one good year when Clemson and FSU were struggling. WF didn't beat us that year but I don't remember why we didn't get to go to the ACCCG.