Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I'm sure they would, but currently Virginia Tech doesn't have an ACC program.
    Don't disagree but VT is in the ACC. Coaching at mid-major U will never offer the same visibility regardless of the salary. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Actually, I understand JW is frustrated beyond belief with the downward pressure being put on salaries from over his head. This is coming from the President's Office, the BOV, often both. He may be about ready to let someone else fight these battles.
    This part of your post is dripping with irony, given that Jim makes over $600k per year, and by all accounts isn't able to work much at all anymore, due to health issues.

AD Jim Weaver's pay ranks fifth in the ACC, 28th nationally
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

No need to go all the way to Kmart when you can grab a suit from down the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    This part of your post is dripping with irony, given that Jim makes over $600k per year, and by all accounts isn't able to work much at all anymore, due to health issues.

I agree Will. Not surprised that BuyThese is coming to Weaver's defense. He's got to be related, on his payroll, or best friends with the guy.

Overall I still am frustrated over the lack of transparency on who is making these decisions. Is Weaver really controlling the checkbook (as we've all assumed), or is the President/BOV reeling him in on salaries/expenses? That seems hard to believe if they are micromanaging the budget to the extent we can't beef up our men's bball and baseball salaries to be competitive in the ACC.

Can we only be competitive with football expenditures?

If it's a funding issue, then call it like it is. Challenge the alumni, HokieClub, etc to do better, and increase donations so that we can keep up with the rest of the ACC. Call us out. I'd rather know where we stand than wonder why the heck we keep hiring high school coaches, and assistants for our premier positions.
    Last edited by ctdc79; Tue Jul 16 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

Jim's recent surgeries for back issues and Parkinsons were both relatively successful. He doesn't shake much anymore and as far as I can tell he is in the office or elsewhere on the job just about every day. But keep spreading that out-of-date information. I know it appeals to your current customer base, and economic times are tough. I hope you never have an illness that sidelines you for a while.

If I am not mistaken, JW has been an AD longer than anyone else in the ACC. FAR longer than most of the other conference ADs. Despite the fact that he might not be as charismatic as some would like, he has a multi-decade record of fiscal and compliance success in the athletic business. The fact that he is only in the middle of the ACC in salary (several private schools did not report) pretty much supports that what I posted is true. The downward pressure on salaries is coming from above JW.
    Last edited by Buy These!; Tue Jul 16 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VT One View Post
    Understand but I was referring to the trouble getting an assistant to replace Byington(not that I have a problem with the DOBO Moore getting the job).
    Ah, I don't know whether JJ had trouble hiring or was just comfortable with Moore. Moore had Big10 experience after all. You have to think that Moore knew he was in line for an Asst job eventually or he wouldn't have settled for a DOBO position. It seems like Andy may have been a DOBO that JJ wanted in his asst. coaching "pipeline" so to speak. I am sure JJ knew that Byington was a strong candidate for a head job somewhere, after the commendable job he had done as an interim HC in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ctdc79 View Post
    I agree Will. Not surprised that BuyThese is coming to Weaver's defense. He's got to be related, on his payroll, or best friends with the guy.

Overall I still am frustrated over the lack of transparency on who is making these decisions. Is Weaver really controlling the checkbook (as we've all assumed), or is the President/BOV reeling him in on salaries/expenses? That seems hard to believe if they are micromanaging the budget to the extent we can't beef up our men's bball and baseball salaries to be competitive in the ACC.

Can we only be competitive with football expenditures?

If it's a funding issue, then call it like it is. Challenge the alumni, HokieClub, etc to do better, and increase donations so that we can keep up with the rest of the ACC. Call us out. I'd rather know where we stand than wonder why the heck we keep hiring high school coaches, and assistants for our premier positions.
    Its a political issue. Higher Education is in the crosshairs of politicians and political appointees (like the BOV) everywhere right now. You can bet Athletics is at the top of the list given the salaries that are being paid nationwide and the outrageous student fees being charged by some institutions. State politicians want to deflect blame for what they have caused to happen to tuition in the last two decades, and those ridiculous fees make Athletics an easy target.

And I am simply a defender of truth and I have a distaste for the piling on that goes on as it relates to coaches, administrators, players, etc. Any time I attempt to correct the record on Weaver it stands out because he has few defenders on this forum. There is not enough money in the world to convince me to take an AD job at a BCS school in today's environment.
    Last edited by Buy These!; Tue Jul 16 2013 at 04:04 PM.

I didn't think athletic departments received any funding from the Commonwealth of Virginia? You see it in SEC country where the state will build the school a new football stadium, but I think our athletic departments have to do it all "in house."

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Its a political issue. Higher Education is in the crosshairs of politicians and political appointees (like the BOV) everywhere right now. You can bet Athletics is at the top of the list given the salaries that are being paid nationwide and the outrageous student fees being charged by some institutions. State politicians want to deflect blame for what they have caused to happen to tuition in the last two decades, and those ridiculous fees make Athletics an easy target.

And I am simply a defender of truth and I have a distaste for the piling on that goes on as it relates to coaches, administrators, players, etc. Any time I attempt to correct the record on Weaver it stands out because he has few defenders on this forum. There is not enough money in the world to convince me to take an AD job at a BCS school in today's environment.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I didn't think athletic departments received any funding from the Commonwealth of Virginia? You see it in SEC country where the state will build the school a new football stadium, but I think our athletic departments have to do it all "in house."
    I think you are correct but what Buy These is trying to say is that the student athletic fee which does support athletics is playing a role in driving up the cost of attending state schools as well as nationwide. The politics is driven by parents complaining to state legislatures about the ever increasing cost of attending a state school. The politicians are trying to deflect the attention away from the steadily declining support our state colleges receive from the state budget and blame it on athletic fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I think you are correct but what Buy These is trying to say is that the student athletic fee which does support athletics is playing a role in driving up the cost of attending state schools as well as nationwide. The politics is driven by parents complaining to state legislatures about the ever increasing cost of attending a state school. The politicians are trying to deflect the attention away from the steadily declining support our state colleges receive from the state budget and blame it on athletic fees.
    Well said. Thanks for explaining more clearly than I did