Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116
  1. #1
    Senior Member Culpeper Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    Posts
    19,720

    I'm pretty sure Jim Weaver shops for suits at K-Mart

    Because that sure would make sense.

    http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch....ll-operations/

    Re: new basketball director of operations, Robert Harris - "He spent the last year as Charlottesville High School’s director of activities."
    “Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism.” ― Hubert H. Humphrey

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper Hokie View Post
    Because that sure would make sense.

    http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch....ll-operations/

    Re: new basketball director of operations, Robert Harris - "He spent the last year as Charlottesville High School’s director of activities."
    To be fair, if it was anything like the assistant applicant pool there weren't exactly top level candidates out there dying to get in. I think James Johnson will have to show he has staying power to get that to happen.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    February 03, 2001
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    To be fair, if it was anything like the assistant applicant pool there weren't exactly top level candidates out there dying to get in. I think James Johnson will have to show he has staying power to get that to happen.
    I understand your point but would mid-major assistants with potential not want to try to make a go with an ACC program? Aren't there literally thousands of upwardly mobile mid-major types who would want "Virginia Tech" and "ACC" on their resume instead of "mid-major U"? Hard for me to believe that our program is so toxic that no one wants to work there. You know a lot more than me but I can't imagine that things are that bad. Thanks for you insight though.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    November 04, 2008
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by VT One View Post
    I understand your point but would mid-major assistants with potential not want to try to make a go with an ACC program? Aren't there literally thousands of upwardly mobile mid-major types who would want "Virginia Tech" and "ACC" on their resume instead of "mid-major U"? Hard for me to believe that our program is so toxic that no one wants to work there. You know a lot more than me but I can't imagine that things are that bad. Thanks for you insight though.
    DOBO is not an Assistant position, although it occasionally is used to lead to one, to get someone in the pipeline. The DOBO is supposed to be an administrative position to help plan travel and organize recruiting visits, etc. That is the way Seth generally used it and the way Dennis Wolff uses it too. Wolff's DOBO, Bill Old, is a career administrator with no designs on coaching. He was the DOBO for Dave Odom at Wake and SC before originally coming to VT to be DOBO for Seth.
    Last edited by Buy These!; Tue Jul 16 2013 at 10:29 AM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    November 04, 2008
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper Hokie View Post
    Because that sure would make sense.

    http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch....ll-operations/

    Re: new basketball director of operations, Robert Harris - "He spent the last year as Charlottesville High School’s director of activities."
    Actually, I understand JW is frustrated beyond belief with the downward pressure being put on salaries from over his head. This is coming from the President's Office, the BOV, often both. He may be about ready to let someone else fight these battles.

    There is a big JLARC study on tuition and fees about to be published that is rightly (IMO) very critical of Athletic Student Fees, and it will be used to attack Athletics statewide. However, as I understand it, the report did not bother to highlight that VT has kept its fees incredibly low, and that all recent increases to the VT fee have been applied to Athlete Academic Advising, it just throws all the state schools under the bus together.

    Trends in Public Higher Education Enrollment, Student Costs,
    Revenue, and Spending
    http://jlarc.virginia.gov/other/Workplan13.pdf

    (Planned briefing: June 10, 2013)
    House Joint Resolution 108 (2012) directs JLARC to study the academic
    and non-academic factors affecting the cost of higher education operations
    at Virginia’s public colleges and universities. The mandate also directs
    JLARC to identify opportunities to reduce the cost of public education in
    Virginia. The mandate cites increases in tuition and State spending for
    higher education, as well as concern about affordability and student loan
    debt levels.
    This review is intended to provide broad context for the subsequent reviews
    of specific aspects of higher education to follow during the remainder
    of 2013 and 2014. It will summarize ten- and 20-year trends in key areas
    of public higher education in Virginia and nationally. Trends will be
    examined in (1) enrollment; (2) tuition and fees, housing, and dining
    charges, (3) the relationship between average income and higher education
    costs, (4) student borrowing and other forms of financial aid; (5) public
    higher education revenue streams, and (6) public higher education spending.
    Last edited by Buy These!; Tue Jul 16 2013 at 10:29 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VT One View Post
    I understand your point but would mid-major assistants with potential not want to try to make a go with an ACC program? Aren't there literally thousands of upwardly mobile mid-major types who would want "Virginia Tech" and "ACC" on their resume instead of "mid-major U"? Hard for me to believe that our program is so toxic that no one wants to work there. You know a lot more than me but I can't imagine that things are that bad. Thanks for you insight though.

    VT pays assistants similarly to a lot of MM's and if you come on you might only be here 2 years. Being on a bad staff is tough to overcome and getting jobs in this business in general is very very very difficult.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    September 23, 2002
    Posts
    17,570
    Quote Originally Posted by VT One View Post
    I understand your point but would mid-major assistants with potential not want to try to make a go with an ACC program?
    I'm sure they would, but currently Virginia Tech doesn't have an ACC program.

  8. #8
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    36°59′36″N 78°13′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper Hokie View Post
    Because that sure would make sense.

    http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch....ll-operations/

    Re: new basketball director of operations, Robert Harris - "He spent the last year as Charlottesville High School’s director of activities."
    It's not the first time a major university hired someone from a high school or small college for that position or even a higher position. I get your point but some of the best coaches have come from humble backgrounds. Geno Auriema, Tom Izzo, Brad Stevens, and Shaka Smart attended small division 3 colleges and worked their way up the ladder. So anything is possible. Even Mark Few transferred from a division 3 school to Oregon in hopes of playing baseball but Oregon dropped baseball the year he arrived but somehow he became a very good division 1 men's basketball coach. I'm sure it's easier to move up the ladder if you graduated from a larger school and have better connections. I'm sure James Johnson saw something he really liked about Robert Harris when he interviewed him.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    February 03, 2001
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    DOBO is not an Assistant position, although it occasionally is used to lead to one, to get someone in the pipeline. The DOBO is supposed to be an administrative position to help plan travel and organize recruiting visits, etc. That is the way Seth generally used it and the way Dennis Wolff uses it too. Wolff's DOBO, Bill Old, is a career administrator with no designs on coaching. He was the DOBO for Dave Odom at Wake and SC before originally coming to VT to be DOBO for Seth.
    Understand but I was referring to the trouble getting an assistant to replace Byington(not that I have a problem with the DOBO Moore getting the job).

  10. #10

    Join Date
    February 03, 2001
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    VT pays assistants similarly to a lot of MM's and if you come on you might only be here 2 years. Being on a bad staff is tough to overcome and getting jobs in this business in general is very very very difficult.
    I see your point but there seems to be a lot of turnover every year at every level. Much higher profile at "even" VT with ACC TV coverage(which I thought might be appealing). As to being part of a bad staff, if your team doesn't win you're on a bad staff where ever you are I guess. Thanks again for your perspective.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •