Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

the unaddressed question is would Texas rather add teams to the Big 12 or play in another conference? the biggest near-term decision affecting realignment is how teams will be selected for the playoff. if they (and ND) need access to a conference playoff game to enhance their chances, then there will be another shakeup.

QUOTE=Muddywolf;806660]http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...R999737?subj=2[/QUOTE]

The even bigger question is how long it will take for the playoff to go from 4 to 8 teams. In a 4 team playoff, it's going to be a knife fight to get in and conference affiliation will probably play a major role. With an 8 team playoff, there will be much more latitude and conference affiliation won't matter nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    the unaddressed question is would Texas rather add teams to the Big 12 or play in another conference? the biggest near-term decision affecting realignment is how teams will be selected for the playoff. if they (and ND) need access to a conference playoff game to enhance their chances, then there will be another shakeup.

QUOTE=Muddywolf;806660]http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...R999737?subj=2
    DeLoss Dodds publicly says that he is really happy in the Big XII. He likes the geography of the Big XII, and he's worked hard to make the Big XII as great as can be. He is the one that doesn't want to have a Conference Championship Game. I think one time Texas was in the national championship hunt and that game knocked them out.

At the same time behind the scenes you can be sure he is keeping an eye on the landscape and keeping the options open for Texas.
    Last edited by HOO86; Mon Jul 15 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    DeLoss Dodds publicly says that he is really happy in the Big XII. He likes the geography of the Big XII, and he's worked hard to make the Big XII as great as can be. He is the one that doesn't want to have a Conference Championship Game. I think one time Texas was in the national championship hunt and that game knocked them out.

At the same time behind the scenes you can be sure he is keeping an eye on the landscape and keeping the options open for Texas.
    For anyone who hasn't seen this, here are DeLoss Dodd's public statements about realignment, the Pac 12, the ACC, Notre Dame, and his hopes for the Big 12. The video was taken in February 2012. Skip up to 19:40 to 24:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    For anyone who hasn't seen this, here are DeLoss Dodd's public statements about realignment, the Pac 12, the ACC, Notre Dame, and his hopes for the Big 12. The video was taken in February 2012. Skip up to 19:40 to 24:00.

Very interesting, Dodds own impression ACC much more attractive than PAC 12 if the Big 12 implodes.

You can also see why they are now kicking themselves for not taking Louisville when they were available. They obviously thought they would always be available and take them on their time schedule.

It is interesting that both Notre Dame and Louisville had options for both the Big 12 and ACC. Both preferred the ACC, gasp...despite the monetary differential. That to me speaks volumes. ACC > Big 12 for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

I have no concept of travel difficulties in college sports anymore. Wouldn't it be impossible for Texas to travel to ACC schools for an entire conference schedule? Only a desperate school like WVU would do that imo. It seems the only solution would be a pod with at least three nearby southwestern schools.

I call B.S. on the $40 million projection... at minimum the article glosses over or plain omits significant context relative to that figure. This seems like a propaganda piece aimed at soothing frantic, grasping fan bases still caught up in blogosphere driven expansion hysteria. Finally, the $40 million is only given as a terminal projection for the end of the current rights contract. You're not going to get $40 million a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddywolf View Post
    I agree...the problem is, there's quite a drop off now in what's left. Academics aside, a few years ago, there was a breakdown of schools not in the Big 5, and in terms of facilities and budgets, the drop off after WVU and Louisville was stunning.

I expect we're not done...things are changing, and fast. While cable was an important part of the equation not too long ago, given the rapidly changing way the U.S. is getting video content, look for more change going forward.

The one thing I do know is the BIG EAST was on life support and fading, and assuming the B12 hangs together, we should be able to do big things with the bucketfulls of money we'll get. Think about this for a second...we were paid more by the B12 in a partial distribution than we made in the BIG EAST...and 40 million a year towards the end of the current B12 TV contract doesn't even include Tier 3 money. That'll buy some cleats.

See you boyz in December...we just lost Aaric Murray, but I think we'll be better for it. I expect we'll be improved, just not sure how much.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I have no concept of travel difficulties in college sports anymore. Wouldn't it be impossible for Texas to travel to ACC schools for an entire conference schedule? Only a desperate school like WVU would do that imo. It seems the only solution would be a pod with at least three nearby southwestern schools.
    It works ok with football and other sports that only have weekend games. Where it becomes problematic is with sports that have weekday games like basketball. Deloss Dodds said that he would only consider going east in a larger conference arrangement like the ACC or PAC 12. He thinks it works better for kids because they lose the hour going to games, but they get the hour back going back west to go home.

I personally like the idea of Texas because they are a good school academically with a very healthy athletic department in a state loaded with recruiting prospects for football. But I don't like the practicality of it. Do we take Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or someone else to create a pod closer to them? I think we'd still have the issues regarding weekday travel for the athletes.

yup. that card would be played right after the Big 12 and ND get confirmation they are screwed by the selection process and the SEC figures out it can't get two teams in the top 4 every year, if at all. the card that gets played simultaneous with that one is by the non-contract conferences who ARE playing the extra game...i.e., "how many of those slots do WE get?" and of course there are the contract conference winners not in the top 4 that would want some preference as well. its gonna get interesting. it could take awhile to get to 8. probably long enough for ND to pull the trigger and for the Big 12 to reconfigure or disband.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    The even bigger question is how long it will take for the playoff to go from 4 to 8 teams. In a 4 team playoff, it's going to be a knife fight to get in and conference affiliation will probably play a major role. With an 8 team playoff, there will be much more latitude and conference affiliation won't matter nearly as much.

Quotes from the article:

1) “Now, just a year after the Big 12 moved to add TCU and West Virginia to replace departing Texas A&M and Missouri, the conference has never been stronger.”

Really? I mean really? Successful, long term conferences are made up of academically compatible and/or research compatible colleges. WADR to WVU and TCU, they are not in the same league with MU and TA&M. Hell, not many are. Look it up!

2) “The Big 12 distributed $198 million to its members this summer, including $22 million to each of the eight charter members (including Oklahoma and Oklahoma State). TCU and West Virginia each got $11 million as part of their four-year phase-in membership”.

Ouch!

(a) Most of this payout was from exit fees (CO, NU, T A&M, MU) and will dissipate over the next several years.
    (b) Treating TCU and WVU as the red-headed step child for 4 years hardly helps with stability.
    (c) Knowing that TCU and WVU had no alternatives, thus forcing this income disparity on each is disrespectful and rather condescending. Forget the red-headed step child analogy…more like a foster home.

3) “Now, Big 12 members are getting bigger paychecks from the league than any other conference in the country.”

See (2a) above. LOL

4) “If Texas is really in and fully committed, as many now believe, there's no reason to believe there are any changes in the near future”

Notice the word “If”. So why is UT in talks with the ACC? Lots of folks know this. It may not come to anything at the end of the day, but the author must be aware of this.

5) “Still, it says something about the viability of the Big 12 moving forward that not even the SEC membership received the type of payouts that the Big 12 got this year.”

See (2a) above. LOL. If the ACC lost 4 schools, the rest would split $100M ($50Mx4) in exit fees. This would be a hollow victory, not a reason to rant about how successful the ACC is in payouts.

6) “Big 12 officials confirmed this summer that projections for revenues would balloon to $30 million by 2015-16, when TCU and West Virginia get a full share for the first time.”

Umm…where is the extra money coming from? Exit fees will have been dispersed. TV contract has been inked. Looks like a net reduction to me as the TV money will have to increase substantially just to keep up with the lost income from the exit fees. BWDIK?

7) “The Big 12 is projecting revenues of up to $40 million per school by the time the league's existing television contract expires in 2024-25.”

If anyone can predict anything 11 to 12 years from now about anything, I’d like to know what it is. Except Al Gore, of course.
    Note: Maybe they are assuming one hell of an inflation rate. Now that’s a possibility.

8) “So, if conference realignment is all about the money, who's complaining in the Big 12?”

Well, most likely WVU and TCU, but both are just glad to land on their feet…for now, so they are not going public with any complaints. Also, from (9) below, I would think that all 9 colleges not named UT are just a little bit pissed. I mean one school is getting 68% MORE than any other school! Yep, the other 9 must be happy as clams. 

9) “In addition to its $22 million from the league, Texas got $15 million this year from the Longhorn Network.”

Ah yes…the 800lb benevolent Gorilla. How long will the rest of the B12 put up with this disparity in income distribution, intrinsic recruiting disadvantage in Texas, and having the championship in Dallas every year. Soon, resentment will build and some will look elsewhere, and with expansion not over quite yet, this league is intrinsically unstable, as some may jump to the PAC 10 as an alternative. Also, this is the only conference where if one school leaves, the conference collapses. These are the SAME ingredients that caused the shake up 2 years ago.

Now I have no dog in this hunt. I’m not a UT hater (actually, I rather like UT) or wish ill will on any B12 member. I’m just an outsider looking at what I believe is a ticking time bomb. And I think that every other conference may be doing the same. Is 3 years…the magic number?

Nice little feel good article, IMHO.
    Last edited by VPI63; Wed Jul 17 2013 at 11:00 PM.