Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The Big 12 situation is better for WVU than the Big East, but the Big 12 must expand or die. And the $ figures, not just these but the projections being tossed about by the some of the other conferences, are wild guesses...mostly hyperbole to soothe fan bases. The real #'s are unknown but all of the TV payouts will eventually be pretty close to the same for "contract" conference members regardless of conference and TV network affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddywolf View Post
    I agree...the problem is, there's quite a drop off now in what's left. Academics aside, a few years ago, there was a breakdown of schools not in the Big 5, and in terms of facilities and budgets, the drop off after WVU and Louisville was stunning.

I expect we're not done...things are changing, and fast. While cable was an important part of the equation not too long ago, given the rapidly changing way the U.S. is getting video content, look for more change going forward.

The one thing I do know is the BIG EAST was on life support and fading, and assuming the B12 hangs together, we should be able to do big things with the bucketfulls of money we'll get. Think about this for a second...we were paid more by the B12 in a partial distribution than we made in the BIG EAST...and 40 million a year towards the end of the current B12 TV contract doesn't even include Tier 3 money. That'll buy some cleats.

See you boyz in December...we just lost Aaric Murray, but I think we'll be better for it. I expect we'll be improved, just not sure how much.

I believe the disparity is WVU's and TCU's payment of their entry fee over the first four years. It was a choice they both made to ensure bigger revenue streams down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    Quotes from the article:
    (b) Treating TCU and WVU as the red-headed step child for 4 years hardly helps with stability.
    (c) Knowing that TCU and WVU had no alternatives, thus forcing this income disparity on each is disrespectful and rather condescending. Forget the red-headed step child analogy…more like a foster home.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    I believe the disparity is WVU's and TCU's payment of their entry fee over the first four years. It was a choice they both made to ensure bigger revenue streams down the road.
    I'm not sure that I am following this.

Is this like a Heisman Trophy winner asking for only 50% of the $50M bonus, so that he just might get a bigger pay out 4 years later?

You realize that after 4 years, the disparity is $44M for each team or $88M for the rest of the B12. They will never recover the $44M disparity no matter how long the B12 stays together. And there is absolutely no guarantee that bigger payouts, e.g., $22M will be available after 4 years. After all, a slug of that $22M was associated with the exit fees of CO, MU, T A&M, and NU. Ditto for the $11M payout.

UT is pulling in 236% more in revenues than either WVA or TCU this past year...and that is gross, not net.

I'm changing my mind.

It's gone from re-headed step child to foster home, but in reality it's an indentured servant status.

But as I said, what choice did they have?

That's why Colorado, aTm, Mizzou & Nebraska got out of that conference ASAP. The rest of the minions want out too, but no one will take them.

Is this like a Heisman Trophy winner asking for only 50% of the $50M bonus, so that he just might get a bigger pay out 4 years later?

You realize that after 4 years, the disparity is $44M for each team or $88M for the rest of the B12. They will never recover the $44M disparity no matter how long the B12 stays together. And there is absolutely no guarantee that bigger payouts, e.g., $22M will be available after 4 years. After all, a slug of that $22M was associated with the exit fees of CO, MU, T A&M, and NU. Ditto for the $11M payout.

UT is pulling in 236% more in revenues than either WVA or TCU this past year...and that is gross, not net.

I'm changing my mind.

It's gone from re-headed step child to foster home, but in reality it's an indentured servant status.

"You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

The lone comment by Jed, at the time I read the article, sums it up quite nicely. B12 leadership miscalculated and is looking for the silver lining.

I'm changing my mind.

What you are missing is that some of the terms are standard for joining any conference. Paying your dues so to speak.

VT didn't make 100% share until the third year in the ACC, same for Miami, BC and I'm sure newbies Pitt and Syracuse. VT I believe received 1/3 then 2/3 then a full share.

wvu's terms , I believe are a bit stiffer because the Big 12 essentially floated them a loan to help ease the 20 million damages exit fee they had to fork out to the Big East. wvu has to repay 15 million of the 20 million loan and then another year of reduced income making it 4 years until they get the full share. In the end wvu will end up paying back the loan with this combination payment schedule . TCU is a private school and finding the specifics of their terms of entry to the Big 12 and their exit fee to the Big East are harder to verify. TCU was supposed to be on the hook for a 5 million dollar exit fee but with the complete collapse of the Big East I bet it was negotiated down.

You are correct in pointing out the windfall that the other 8 members are receiving because of the combination of splitting exit fees and redistributing the excess money from the partial new member reduced payments. This windfall will be short term and will never make up for losing Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizzou and Colorado. That is why the Big 12 commissioner and minions are constantly thumping their chests bragging about their finances because it is the only spin they can put on the smallest member and geographic BCS level conference. They try to project a big smiley face but the serious fault lines are ever present.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    What you are missing is that some of the terms are standard for joining any conference. Paying your dues so to speak.

VT didn't make 100% share until the third year in the ACC, same for Miami, BC and I'm sure newbies Pitt and Syracuse. VT I believe received 1/3 then 2/3 then a full share.

wvu's terms , I believe are a bit stiffer because the Big 12 essentially floated them a loan to help ease the 20 million damages exit fee they had to fork out to the Big East. wvu has to repay 15 million of the 20 million loan and then another year of reduced income making it 4 years until they get the full share. In the end wvu will end up paying back the loan with this combination payment schedule . TCU is a private school and finding the specifics of their terms of entry to the Big 12 and their exit fee to the Big East are harder to verify. TCU was supposed to be on the hook for a 5 million dollar exit fee but with the complete collapse of the Big East I bet it was negotiated down.

You are correct in pointing out the windfall that the other 8 members are receiving because of the combination of splitting exit fees and redistributing the excess money from the partial new member reduced payments. This windfall will be short term and will never make up for losing Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizzou and Colorado. That is why the Big 12 commissioner and minions are constantly thumping their chests bragging about their finances because it is the only spin they can put on the smallest member and geographic BCS level conference. They try to project a big smiley face but the serious fault lines are ever present.
    Thanks.

I was not aware that VT only got a partial payout when joining the ACC for 3 years.

Do you have a link for that?

My recollection was that we paid an entrance fee of $2M and settled with the BE for about $1.1M and received full benefits from the ACC from the get go.

But I'm getting old and, well...you know the rest.
    Last edited by VPI63; Sat Jul 20 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks.

I was not aware that VT only got a partial payout when joining the ACC for 3 years.

Do you have a link for that?

My recollection was that we paid an entrance fee of $2M and settled with the BE for about $1.1M and received full benefits from the ACC from the get go.

But I'm getting old and, well...you know the rest.
    I don't have a link, but the partial payout was my recollection as well. I also recall that the partial payout was several million greater than the full payout from the Big East.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    I don't have a link, but the partial payout was my recollection as well. I also recall that the partial payout was several million greater than the full payout from the Big East.
    You were correct, well almost:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/st...15594241.shtml

"That figure could approach $11 million by the time Miami and Virginia Tech earn their first full revenue share at the end of the 2006-07 school year. Those schools will receive a flat $6.2 million payout from the league in each of their first two seasons, as will Boston College, which won't collect its first full share until 2006-07."