Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    But practically this board's entire reason for existing is so people have a place to pontificate and theorize and debate about an unknowable future.
    That's what makes this board perfect! I'm glad Will and Chris thought of creating it! (Not to mention it gets these discussions off the football board.)
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    Don't think it will be necessary to void the GORs. Everything is negotiable when it is mutually beneficial.
    For it to be "mutually beneficial", the SEC would have to trade a school of equal value to the ACC for VT. Is the SEC going to give the ACC Kentucky or Tennessee? Or maybe Auburn? I highly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    For it to be "mutually beneficial", the SEC would have to trade a school of equal value to the ACC for VT. Is the SEC going to give the ACC Kentucky or Tennessee? Or maybe Auburn? I highly doubt it.
    Mutually beneficial merely means both parties benefit. It doesn't imply a zero sum trade. It's possible for the ACC to benefit by losing VT and picking up another school that school doesn't need to come from the SEC. See the Maryland/Louisville realignment as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Mutually beneficial merely means both parties benefit. It doesn't imply a zero sum trade. It's possible for the ACC to benefit by losing VT and picking up another school that school doesn't need to come from the SEC. See the Maryland/Louisville realignment as an example.
    That makes absolutely no sense. Why would the ACC give up the rights to broadcast all of VT's games for the next 15 years to the SEC and get nothing from them in return? Even if the ACC can replace VT with Texas, the ACC isn't just going to say "don't worry about that whole grant of rights thing" if VT leaves for the SEC. They'll take Texas (or whoever they can get) and still keep VT's media rights for the duration of the GoR that was signed.
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Sun Jul 21 2013 at 07:24 PM.

That makes absolutely no sense. Why would the ACC give up the rights to broadcast all of VT's games for the next 15 years to the SEC and get nothing from them in return?
    You're acting like the ACC has control over its members' decision making. They don't.

Even if the ACC can replace VT with Texas, the ACC isn't just going to say "don't worry about that whole grant of rights thing" if VT leaves for the SEC. They'll take Texas (or whoever they can get) and still keep VT's media rights for the duration of the GoR that was signed.
    Now you're demonstrating my point that the ACC would benefit, which you also said "makes absolutely no sense."