Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I think the main thing is that everyone but Duke, UNC, and UVa voted FOR the original expansion plan of Miami, Syracuse, and BC. They needed 7 votes, and Duke and UNC's anti-expansion stance put UVa in a position to block any expansion that didn't involve VT. I think Mark Warner might deserve some credit for facilitating communication while this was unfolding, but I always just credit UVa (and whoever that big donor of theirs is who supposedly is also a supporter of VT).

Everyone but Duke and UNC voted for the Miami and VT round of expansion. (I forget why BC was initially dropped from that round. Something to the effect that the NC St AD wanted to take a run at Notre Dame first? Something like that.)

Exactly right. John Casteen, UVa President, was the one who got VT in. And he needed no prompting from Warner. The only possible thing Warner did to facilitate it was to give Casteen support. Casteen took a lot of flak from Hoo faithful for his role. He refused to vote for any expansion that didn't include VT. Three no votes were enough then to prevent expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    You can tell the Republicans on the board, cannot give ANY democrat any credit. the call to UVA was not just one call, but a directive as the Governor of the State. It was going t be fire the UVA board and President if they they refused to vote for VT. There are many big contributors at the University still mad as hell at Warner over that action.
    I'm just saying his contribution was way overblown. You can call politics all you want, but he really wasn't the key driving factor some like to think.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

I thought I read that the Big12 has a look in on their GOR in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    targeting Texas and should happen in next few years. Shocking if true, but with everyone's media rights off table, don't know how it would happen.

Rev has good sources...listen to the man. By the way, Fantastic, the Horns will not walk alone...not a chance in IMHO. The ACC in spite of the Louisville expansion wants top 100 schools, but watch the Louisville academic ratings with some ACC coaching, they will get a lot better.

Also, I am back becuase I like where Will and Chris want to take the board in the future...not an easy task, but worth trying to get there. Will is right, it is not necessarily what you say as much as how you say it. We all want VT to get better, but how you say it does make a difference.

PS Expansion is long from over my Hokie Brothers and Sisters...OUT!

Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    And I know for a fact that it was NOT way overblown. I've got a Capitol Hill source who can confirm that for you. He needed a wake up call, but once he got it, he was like a pit bull on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I'm just saying his contribution was way overblown. You can call politics all you want, but he really wasn't the key driving factor some like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Rev has good sources...listen to the man. By the way, Fantastic, the Horns will not walk alone...not a chance in IMHO. The ACC in spite of the Louisville expansion wants top 100 schools, but watch the Louisville academic ratings with some ACC coaching, they will get a lot better.

Also, I am back becuase I like where Will and Chris want to take the board in the future...not an easy task, but worth trying to get there. Will is right, it is not necessarily what you say as much as how you say it. We all want VT to get better, but how you say it does make a difference.

PS Expansion is long from over my Hokie Brothers and Sisters...OUT!
    What are you hearing on a timeline? 5 teams from the Big12 or just Texas heading east?

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    I wonder if it's more likely the Texas bunch goes for the Big Ten over the ACC.

I'm sure there are talks between the ACC & Texas. I'm almost positive it's so Texas can sweeten their already sweet Big 12 deal.
    When proposing expansion targets, remember that no conference wants to take a step backwards in revenue paid per school. If a prospect can't earn at least as much as the current per school payout, they will not be considered (Iowa State, Kansas, OK State). If the BIG 12 has a 2-3 year look-in to the GOR, that will coincide with the B1G Tier 1 & 2 rights renewal. Before they settle those contracts, the B1G will make an all-out push to add glamour schools. The ones that are off the board: ND, all ACC (GOR) and maybe no others. They will make a run at Texas & Florida. If the SEC continues to run without a GOR, the B1G may try to take Florida & aTm on the SEC flanks. Vandy may want to join if Florida does, just to collaborate with the Johns Hopkins Medical School. TV money will matter most and only the big earners can be considered. (Vandy the possible exception because of academics) B1G will likely not succeed in these efforts, but they need to try for "16" before they renew TV contracts.

Actually without Duke and UNC, VT to the ACC doesn't happen. Those two along with UVa voted against the original expansion plan with Syracuse. That held it up long enough for VT to get involved.
    As far as positive support for us Georgia Tech led the way for that along with UVa.
    Duke and UNC were not voting against VT. They were just opposed to any expansion and voted against all plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Maybe? My question is "Who voted for and against us?" I know UNC and Duke didn't vote for us. How many state schools voted for us? That's where Mark Warner comes in. Warner talks to the governors with ACC member state universities (NC State, UNC, FSU, Georgia Tech, Maryland, and Clemson) to see if they'll vote for us. Warner makes some deals with those governors. Those governors talk to the university presidents of their ACC member state universities. That's how I see a governor getting involved. Did Maryland vote for us? They share a veterinary school with us. Did Wake vote for us? We share medical/engineering research with them. UVa helped a lot but it took more than them to get us into the ACC.
    Last edited by hokiebob01; Sat Jul 13 2013 at 08:12 AM.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Don't forget the contributions of G. Wayne Clough, president of Georgia Tech and David Braine. Both had strong ties to Virginia Tech and still do. Once the original expansion was derailed Georgia Tech strongly supported Virginia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    Exactly right. John Casteen, UVa President, was the one who got VT in. And he needed no prompting from Warner. The only possible thing Warner did to facilitate it was to give Casteen support. Casteen took a lot of flak from Hoo faithful for his role. He refused to vote for any expansion that didn't include VT. Three no votes were enough then to prevent expansion.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

As much as it pains me to write, I think WVU ends up in the SEC.
    I think the next round of expansion looks like this:
    ACC - Texas, save a spot for ND
    BIG - Oklahoma, Kansas
    SEC - Oklahoma State, WVU
    Pac 12 - stays as is
    MW - Kansas State, Texas Tech, BYU, toss-up between Baylor, TCU and Iowa State
    AAC - left overs of TCU, Baylor, Iowa State
    Big 12 - becomes a ghost and the TV money flows elsewhere