Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Iowa will bring them in like UVa and former governor Mark Warner brought Tech into the ACC.
    You give Warner too much credit. I think all he did was make a phone call to UVA (when he was prompted). UVA, on the other hand, were the ones that played the major role in getting VT into the ACC. UVA has supported VT's entrance into the ACC for a very long time.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    targeting Texas and should happen in next few years. Shocking if true, but with everyone's media rights off table, don't know how it would happen.
    Makes perfect sense considering that Texas will likely want special considerations to join the ACC and the ACC has demonstrated a willingness to give such considerations to certain schools (i.e. ND)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark425Hokie View Post
    Makes perfect sense considering that Texas will likely want special considerations to join the ACC and the ACC has demonstrated a willingness to give such considerations to certain schools (i.e. ND)
    Good point. I'm sure the ACC will allow Big Tex to keep their Tier 3 rights & their LHN.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    targeting Texas and should happen in next few years. Shocking if true, but with everyone's media rights off table, don't know how it would happen.
    Just a guess, but might they come in just like ND. They work out their own TV contract, play 5 ACC teams a year. This could balance the league scheduling. One year you play ND at home, next year Tx on the road & then flip home and away the next rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    I don't think the University of Iowa can bring the same pressure to bear on the B1G that UVa did for us in the ACC. UVa needed help from Duke and UNC (admittedly unintended help) to get us in. I don't see Iowa having the same leverage.
    It depends on how Big 10 expansion goes. The Big 10 just moved east with Rutgers and Maryland. It's possible the western schools (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, N'western, and Wisconsin) want to balance things out in the next go around. It all depends on who's available since I expect all 4 major conferences to be shopping the Big 12 if Texas makes the first move. If the Big 10 just wants to go to 16, then ISU could be in deep trouble, especially if they go with just 2 of the top 3 or 5 Big 12 programs (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, maybe Oklahoma State). If 20 is the end game as many have suggested, then I see Iowa State in the Big 10. IMHO, if 16 is the end game, then I think the Big 12 survives. If 20 is the end game, the Big 12 is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    You give Warner too much credit. I think all he did was make a phone call to UVA (when he was prompted). UVA, on the other hand, were the ones that played the major role in getting VT into the ACC. UVA has supported VT's entrance into the ACC for a very long time.
    Maybe? My question is "Who voted for and against us?" I know UNC and Duke didn't vote for us. How many state schools voted for us? That's where Mark Warner comes in. Warner talks to the governors with ACC member state universities (NC State, UNC, FSU, Georgia Tech, Maryland, and Clemson) to see if they'll vote for us. Warner makes some deals with those governors. Those governors talk to the university presidents of their ACC member state universities. That's how I see a governor getting involved. Did Maryland vote for us? They share a veterinary school with us. Did Wake vote for us? We share medical/engineering research with them. UVa helped a lot but it took more than them to get us into the ACC.

Maybe? My question is "Who voted for and against us?" I know UNC and Duke didn't vote for us. How many state schools voted for us? That's where Mark Warner comes in. Warner talks to the governors with ACC member state universities (NC State, UNC, FSU, Georgia Tech, Maryland, and Clemson) to see if they'll vote for us. Warner makes some deals with those governors. Those governors talk to the university presidents of their ACC member state universities. That's how I see a governor getting involved. Did Maryland vote for us? They share a veterinary school with us. Did Wake vote for us? We share medical/engineering research with them. UVa helped a lot but it took more than them to get us into the ACC.
    I think the main thing is that everyone but Duke, UNC, and UVa voted FOR the original expansion plan of Miami, Syracuse, and BC. They needed 7 votes, and Duke and UNC's anti-expansion stance put UVa in a position to block any expansion that didn't involve VT. I think Mark Warner might deserve some credit for facilitating communication while this was unfolding, but I always just credit UVa (and whoever that big donor of theirs is who supposedly is also a supporter of VT).

Everyone but Duke and UNC voted for the Miami and VT round of expansion. (I forget why BC was initially dropped from that round. Something to the effect that the NC St AD wanted to take a run at Notre Dame first? Something like that.)

Actually this is tied together with the ESPN partnership. ACC deal with the ESPN is different model than the SEC. The ACC is joined strategicallly with ESPN/ABC as business partners. Actually the key aspect is RAYCOM and the ACC Digital network. ACC is light years ahead in tying in digital rights on all platforms (other than TV). Raycom is providing this service for ACC. SEC wants similar capabilities. THerefore ESPN is not going to build duplicate capabilities in Charlotte, but rather partner (outsource to RAYCOM). ALso, the Longhorn Network is really a loss leader for ESPN but if they can merge it with the ACC Network, it becomes very very powerful. Also, it gets TExas national exposure that A&M got. Boy this conference would have the academic level that would really put pressure on the Big 10.

y opinion is ACC should not offer the same deal as ND. It should be all or nothing. (with a league that has the entire East Coast and texas, that would be very very pusuasive for Notre Dame.

It has been reported that Delany has turned his attention west, and EYES strong on Oklahoma and Kansas. Politically to prow them out may require taking Ok State and Kansas State. Texas has eyes on ACC or Pac 12. Texas really don't see the Big 10 as good for Texas. They DO NOT want to be in the SEC, but if the PAC 12 has no on expansion, then its the ACC.

I hope this tweet doesnt spoil any deal... It was reported that Big 10 jumped on Maryland and Rutgers due to some serious discussion with ACC and Penn State. Losing PSU would be be HUGE loss for the Big 10, so frankly they may have over played their hand.

It depends on how Big 10 expansion goes. The Big 10 just moved east with Rutgers and Maryland. It's possible the western schools (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, N'western, and Wisconsin) want to balance things out in the next go around. It all depends on who's available since I expect all 4 major conferences to be shopping the Big 12 if Texas makes the first move. If the Big 10 just wants to go to 16, then ISU could be in deep trouble, especially if they go with just 2 of the top 3 or 5 Big 12 programs (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, maybe Oklahoma State). If 20 is the end game as many have suggested, then I see Iowa State in the Big 10. IMHO, if 16 is the end game, then I think the Big 12 survives. If 20 is the end game, the Big 12 is done.

You can tell the Republicans on the board, cannot give ANY democrat any credit. the call to UVA was not just one call, but a directive as the Governor of the State. It was going t be fire the UVA board and President if they they refused to vote for VT. There are many big contributors at the University still mad as hell at Warner over that action.