Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Per the Revs Twitter, he has an alleged connected friend that says the ACC is

targeting Texas and should happen in next few years. Shocking if true, but with everyone's media rights off table, don't know how it would happen.

I probably don't read this board enough, but who is the Rev?

The only real benefit for Texas seems to be the East Coast presence. This may be needs since A&M is in the SEC. If true, I hope they don't get a special deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie_CLT View Post
    I probably don't read this board enough, but who is the Rev?

The only real benefit for Texas seems to be the East Coast presence. This may be needs since A&M is in the SEC. If true, I hope they don't get a special deal.
    The Rev is a basketball evangelist. You can send money to him at ShowRevthemoney.com. He accepts paypal and diner's club.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    targeting Texas and should happen in next few years. Shocking if true, but with everyone's media rights off table, don't know how it would happen.
    This has been out for the past year or so. Stech posted about Texas to the ACC a few times. Both him and the Rev have inside sources, so I guess there must be some truth to it.

As for Texas getting out of their GOR with the Big 12, I read that the Big 12 is revisiting their GORs in 2 or 3 years. From what I read, if Texas takes 1 to 3 other Big 12 schools with them to the ACC, and the Big 10 takes 2 to 4 Big 12 members with them, the Big 12 is finished and the GORs means nothing to the remaining schools. One of the scenarios that I have seen has Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State to the ACC and Kansas, Iowa State, ... to the Big 10. I've also seen Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri (SEC), and Texas to the Big 10. From what I read, if more than half the Big 12 schools decide to bolt for other conferences, their GORs is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    This has been out for the past year or so. Stech posted about Texas to the ACC a few times. Both him and the Rev have inside sources, so I guess there must be some truth to it.

As for Texas getting out of their GOR with the Big 12, I read that the Big 12 is revisiting their GORs in 2 or 3 years. From what I read, if Texas takes 1 to 3 other Big 12 schools with them to the ACC, and the Big 10 takes 2 to 4 Big 12 members with them, the Big 12 is finished and the GORs means nothing to the remaining schools. One of the scenarios that I have seen has Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State to the ACC and Kansas, Iowa State, ... to the Big 10. I've also seen Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri (SEC), and Texas to the Big 10. From what I read, if more than half the Big 12 schools decide to bolt for other conferences, their GORs is meaningless.
    I wonder if it's more likely the Texas bunch goes for the Big Ten over the ACC.

I'm sure there are talks between the ACC & Texas. I'm almost positive it's so Texas can sweeten their already sweet Big 12 deal.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

What is the Dude's take on this news?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

The scenario you've seen doesn't sound like it's based on any inside source. B1G has said repeatedly and consistently they have zero interest in Iowa St. The 'Clones add nothing at all to the B1G in geography, TV market, or even competition. In any realignment scenario where at least one "high major" school is left out of a power conference, Iowa St. makes the list of vagabonds. KU to B1G is plausible. No one is leaving the SEC, not even Missouri, no one ever has (well except Gitmo, Tulane, and Sewanee)

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    What is the Dude's take on this news?
    WVU FB to NFC East. All other sports to similar pro leagues.
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    The scenario you've seen doesn't sound like it's based on any inside source. B1G has said repeatedly and consistently they have zero interest in Iowa St. The 'Clones add nothing at all to the B1G in geography, TV market, or even competition. In any realignment scenario where at least one "high major" school is left out of a power conference, Iowa St. makes the list of vagabonds. KU to B1G is plausible. No one is leaving the SEC, not even Missouri, no one ever has (well except Gitmo, Tulane, and Sewanee)
    If Iowa State sees themselves being left out of the BCS Big Boys club, you can bet there will be pressure from Iowa legislators (state and national) to make sure they find themselves in the Big 10 (the only logical choice if the Big 12 folds). Iowa will bring them in like UVa and former governor Mark Warner brought Tech into the ACC. That's too much money for the state of Iowa to lose. Plus ISU is an AAU member and would fit in well with the Big 10, especially the western members. Everyone says it's all about TV markets (and for the most part it is), but in the final stages of realignment a few schools like Iowa State will get in because of political pressure.

According to the Omaha World-Herald, the schools mentioned on Jim Delany's Big 10 Wish List were: Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. With the ACC's GOR, those schools are now off the list. Since the SEC has no GOR, Delany is still interested in Mizzou and Vandy. Like the ACC, Delany wants the top 4 teams out of the Big 12. Texas will have to make the move. Once that occurs, I expect the Big 12 to be devoured by the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC. Where those schools go is anybody's guess. It's unlikely Missouri would leave the SEC but if it did happen, the Big 10's CIC would be the reason, not their preference for the SEC Network or Big 10 Network. No major conference can match the Big 10's CIC and the truth is, research brings in more money and prestige than any athletic conference affiliation.

I don't think the University of Iowa can bring the same pressure to bear on the B1G that UVa did for us in the ACC. UVa needed help from Duke and UNC (admittedly unintended help) to get us in. I don't see Iowa having the same leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    If Iowa State sees themselves being left out of the BCS Big Boys club, you can bet there will be pressure from Iowa legislators (state and national) to make sure they find themselves in the Big 10 (the only logical choice if the Big 12 folds). Iowa will bring them in like UVa and former governor Mark Warner brought Tech into the ACC. That's too much money for the state of Iowa to lose. Plus ISU is an AAU member and would fit in well with the Big 10, especially the western members. Everyone says it's all about TV markets (and for the most part it is), but in the final stages of realignment a few schools like Iowa State will get in because of political pressure.