Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    I will not be rooting for UNC in that game.
    If UNC wins that game, and gets by GT, there is a chance they'll be in the top ten when they roll into Lane - definitely ranked. If they lose, they'll probably be unranked. That's a a selfish justification hokies can use to root for UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEQM8 View Post
    State Pen and Tenn are both far better choices than WVU - unless you like to be spit on.
    So sign em up IF you can get a home and home. Otherwise, I'll take WV over Marshall, Western Carolina, etc. When they play in Morgantown, I'll stay home and watch on TV.

You could say the same thing about WVU that you are saying about Ole Miss. We don't get many recruits out of West Virginia. And if we beat WVU, it's no biggie. And if we lose to them, it won't bode well for us.

I think it's a loser attitude to be afraid of playing Ole Miss. And if I were a recruit, I'd rather go to Tech if they have Ole Miss on the schedule, than if they have West Virginia. And as a fan, I'd much rather go to the Grove than to Morgantown for a road trip, and also host a new team in Blacksburg.

Beamer afraid of Ole Miss? Say it ain't so. The focus should be to get the best games possible. And for my money, I'll take Ole Miss over WVU without hesitation.

SEC
    The Grove
    Hosting a fresh face in Blacksburg
    A program with some pedigree even if they've had their share of losing

And look at it this way. What if we beat Ole Miss, then Ole Miss makes a nice run in the conference? Frankly, I hate the politicking of "running" for a national title instead of going out to find the best possible matchups. And if we are worried about bad losses, then why in the heck would we want to schedule JMU, or any other FCS or non-AQ school for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    It's not the kind of game Beamer would take imo. He knows how good Ole Miss can be, and how they are used to playing MNC-caliber teams a couple of times every year. But they don't have a name like Alabama or Nebraska. The only positive would be a quality football game, which doesn't seem to matter much nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    You could say the same thing about WVU that you are saying about Ole Miss. We don't get many recruits out of West Virginia. And if we beat WVU, it's no biggie. And if we lose to them, it won't bode well for us.

I think it's a loser attitude to be afraid of playing Ole Miss. And if I were a recruit, I'd rather go to Tech if they have Ole Miss on the schedule, than if they have West Virginia. And as a fan, I'd much rather go to the Grove than to Morgantown for a road trip, and also host a new team in Blacksburg.
    While what you say about the state of WV is true, you are forgetting the "TV" footprint WVU has on the region. Given where Morgantown is located in the WV, WVU can give exposure to the following surrounding areas: SE Ohio, SW Pennsylvania, Western and (maybe) Central Maryland, NW and Northern Virginia. Even though VT does not necessarily need any more exposure in VA, given the restrictions placed on how many "official" visits a recruit can make to a school, the road game in Morgantown could allow a potential recruit from Winchester or NOVA to attend an away VT game without using up an official "visit." Beamer does seem to be getting back to his "roots" and starting to recruit in PA and OH again, so the game in Morgantown could potentially be used to gain better access to those states.

When it comes to the perception of Ole Miss, Miss State, and Vandy, most recruits perceive them to be no different than a "Duke." Not to say they can't develop into a good program, but they aren't perceived to be exactly strong. The perception of Missouri and Arkansas would be no different than a "NC State." A solid program that could compete for conference championships, but probably won't develop into a consistent juggernaut. Now when it comes to WVU, the perception is more of a "UNC" that could turn into a potential juggernaut given the flashy offense that often appeals to the elite highly skilled players. If WVU continues to impress in the big bowl games or even playoff games, then I could see the program easily start to recruit more Percy Harvins of the world. Now if you are a recruit, then would you rather play against Duke, UNC, or NC State in an OOC game? Most would say the following in order: 1. UNC, 2. NC State, 3. Duke. The gap between 1 & 2 will a lot closer than the gap between 2 & 3.

Not really. the hatred we have for WVU and them for us is what can make college athletics fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    We should keep Stiney as OC just because it pisses off the fan base (tic). I've never been to a VT-WVU game in Morgantown, so I don't comment on that part of this debate. But it's counter-intuitive to say we should play it just because so many Hokies object.

Quote Originally Posted by corvt2000 View Post
    Not really. the hatred we have for WVU and them for us is what can make college athletics fun.
    Yeah, any time I want to have fun, hatred is the first emotion that surfaces.