Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I've lost respect for Clemson, FSU, and GT as "football powers" if that's the case. Especially FSU and Clemson for wanting to be in a better football conference.

I'd love to play UGa/USC/or UF AND Notre Dame in the same year. In fact, that's what a schedule might look like in a real football conference.

And BTW, I'd much prefer Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi St. to WVU.
    In defense of Clemson, FSU, GT, and maybe Louisville, their AD's are looking at from the perspective of doing "just enough" to get them into a BCS bowl game or the playoffs. It is no different than how a lot of other "football schools" from the Big Ten, Big XII, and SEC do it. Even though USC has never played a FCS school, rarely do they schedule 3 top quality "Power" School. I don't think you will ever see USC schedule to play LSU, Ohio St, and Notre Dame in the same year. They will schedule 2 and leave that third spot for a "soft" FBS school.

The probably with playing Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Miss State is for the most part they perceived to be near the bottom of the SEC. So if VT were to beat them then it doesn't not really improve VT's overall perception and losing to them (even if a close game) would only hurt the perception of the program. It would be no different than a school from another conference beating Duke. Whereas losing a close game to a SEC "elite" (i.e. Alabama, LSU, Tenn, Florida, Georgia, etc.) will most likely have either a neutral impact or even a positive impact on the perception of the program. Also, what would really be gained by scheduling a home-home series with an SEC cellar dweller? Do you see Beamer and his staff suddenly decide to recruit in Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, or the surrounding states more? Most likely not. Will playing those schools give VT an edge to a recruit from SC over another ACC school or even a SEC school? Most likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefan5 View Post
    Ole Miss, South Carolina, PSU, Tennessee, Miss. State, any more?
    It takes 2 to tango and it is possible they are not interested in playing a home-home series with VT. Would you still be in favor of playing them if it meant accepting a 2-for-1 (2 games at their stadium and 1 game at Lane) or even a 3-for-1 series?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    It takes 2 to tango and it is possible they are not interested in playing a home-home series with VT. Would you still be in favor of playing them if it meant accepting a 2-for-1 (2 games at their stadium and 1 game at Lane) or even a 3-for-1 series?
    No. That has been the problem with Tech and Penn State over the years. Paterno wanted a 2 and 1 deal while Tech wanted a 1 and 1 deal. Eventually Paterno wanted nothing to do with Tech. I don't think playing 2 games in Starkville or Oxford, MS and just one in Blacksburg is a good deal. It makes Tech look like a lower level FBS school.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I'd love a home-home with Ole Miss fwiw
    It's not the kind of game Beamer would take imo. He knows how good Ole Miss can be, and how they are used to playing MNC-caliber teams a couple of times every year. But they don't have a name like Alabama or Nebraska. The only positive would be a quality football game, which doesn't seem to matter much nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    s

SC plays nobody OOC but Clemson. They played NCSU a few years back, but they're otherwise playing ECU, Troy, & Wofford types.

PSU. I'd have to see it to believe it.

UT. LOL.

Ole Miss would be OK.

Mississippi State...meh.
    Actually, USC opens with UNC in August. USC wants a piece of North Carolina's recruits, and they know a win against UNC will get a lot of coverage in the Charlotte Observer. It's a huge game for the ACC, although we'll be in the uncomfortable position of rooting for the Tar Heels. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    No. That has been the problem with Tech and Penn State over the years. Paterno wanted a 2 and 1 deal while Tech wanted a 1 and 1 deal. Eventually Paterno wanted nothing to do with Tech. I don't think playing 2 games in Starkville or Oxford, MS and just one in Blacksburg is a good deal. It makes Tech look like a lower level FBS school.
    I agree it would not be a smart move on VT's part to agree to a 2-for-1 deal with any FBS school. I would have no problem if VT agreed to a home-home with the third game at a neutral and the schools split the tickets 50-50. It appears that some Hokie fans may have the impression that VT can get any "Power" school to agree to a home-home series at the snap of the fingers.

I am not sure that is the "reality" that VT's athletic department lives in. Some of it is self-inflicted (i.e. restrictions on away games) and some of it is out of VT's hands. It is nice for people to rattle off their wishlist of future OOC games (regardless if it is to replace the WVU series or not), but realistically most (if not all) may not be possible for one reason or another. In some aspects it would be nice if VT fans did hear about all of VT's failed attempts so fans could get a better picture of what is really going on behind the scenes. However, it would not be a smart PR move to do it because no one really wants to air its "dirty laundry" in public. Plus, it could make things difficult for VT to schedule any future OOC games.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Actually, USC opens with UNC in August. USC wants a piece of North Carolina's recruits, and they know a win against UNC will get a lot of coverage in the Charlotte Observer. It's a huge game for the ACC, although we'll be in the uncomfortable position of rooting for the Tar Heels. Ouch.
    I will not be rooting for UNC in that game.

Play wvu in dc or baltimore. Both of us want that market and recruiting area.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Tech should schedule Maryland to a home and home at least 2 times per decade to keep our presence alive in Maryland (DC-Baltimore). WVU gives the media and our fans a good game to watch while Maryland helps us in recruiting in that area.

Md will not play any acc teams for a while. Their ooc will be only teams like odu until they get much better. Bad enough to be at the bottom of the b10. They can't risk losing to us, too.

State Pen and Tenn are both far better choices than WVU - unless you like to be spit on.