Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by corvt2000 View Post
    In my opinion, the disdain a lot of Hokies have sown over sigining this game is the reason why we should play it.
    Too deep for me! I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    But if it's such a big money maker, then why not play it every year? Look, I can see having to stop playing temporarily due to scheduling problems with a conference change. But to wait this long, and then get together for just two years? Lame.

And WRT SEC and other major conferences not wanting to do home/home with us or other ACC teams, I say screw it. Let's add conference game (9 or even 10).
    Tech should schedule Maryland to a home and home at least 2 times per decade to keep our presence alive in Maryland (DC-Baltimore). WVU gives the media and our fans a good game to watch while Maryland helps us in recruiting in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Absolutely agree. If you don't like WV then give us a better alternative. It sure beats Marshall or whatever.
    Ole Miss, South Carolina, PSU, Tennessee, Miss. State, any more?

Sure, let's just sign PSU up for a 1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefan5 View Post
    I think VT's been trying that for years, and Tennessee won't play us either. Miss. State and Ole Miss are the worst kind of games: tough teams that are perceived as lower tier SEC schools, but they can be really good. No real credit for beating them, and ridicule if they beat you.

I'd bet WVU was not at the top of our list - Weaver probably tried a lot of alternatives but struck out.

Fine with me.

I've lost respect for Clemson, FSU, and GT as "football powers" if that's the case. Especially FSU and Clemson for wanting to be in a better football conference.

I'd love to play UGa/USC/or UF AND Notre Dame in the same year. In fact, that's what a schedule might look like in a real football conference.

And BTW, I'd much prefer Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi St. to WVU.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    The ACC tried to increase the number of conference games to 9, but it was shot down by Clemson, FSU, and GT primarily because of their SEC rivalry game and the ACC's requirement to play Notre Dame. I am not sure of Louisville's position on the issue, but I could them being against increasing the number of conference games beyond 8 because of their annual rivalry game against Kentucky. I am pretty sure those 4 schools would be against a 10 game conference schedule because they would have no flexibility in their OOC schedule in the years they are scheduled to play Notre Dame. Their OOC schedule would be Notre Dame and their rival SEC school.

If VT wants more home-home series against "Power 5" schools, then VT will probably be limited to Big Ten, Big XII, and PAC-12 schools. If VT wants to schedule home-home series with SEC schools, then it may be limited to Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi St, (maybe) LSU, and (maybe) Texas A&M. The only reason I included LSU and Texas A&M is because both schools have played VT in a home-home series, so they might be willing to agree to another one.
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Wed Jul 10 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Plus, UVa might be too bitter to play them. So I think we should do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Tech should schedule Maryland to a home and home at least 2 times per decade to keep our presence alive in Maryland (DC-Baltimore). WVU gives the media and our fans a good game to watch while Maryland helps us in recruiting in that area.

I'd love a home-home with Ole Miss fwiw
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I think VT's been trying that for years, and Tennessee won't play us either. Miss. State and Ole Miss are the worst kind of games: tough teams that are perceived as lower tier SEC schools, but they can be really good. No real credit for beating them, and ridicule if they beat you.

I'd bet WVU was not at the top of our list - Weaver probably tried a lot of alternatives but struck out.

We should keep Stiney as OC just because it pisses off the fan base (tic). I've never been to a VT-WVU game in Morgantown, so I don't comment on that part of this debate. But it's counter-intuitive to say we should play it just because so many Hokies object.

s

SC plays nobody OOC but Clemson. They played NCSU a few years back, but they're otherwise playing ECU, Troy, & Wofford types.

PSU. I'd have to see it to believe it.

UT. LOL.

Ole Miss would be OK.

Mississippi State...meh.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904