Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Here is something I don't like about WVU-VT game (re: conference expansion)

It annoys me that all these conference expansion deals are done without much regard for the fans and the rivalries. A&M-Texas, Oklahoma-Nebraska, and to a lesser extent WVU-VT were all casualties of expansion.

Now, the same people who discontinued the rivalry, now want to "renew" it...and not indefinitely, but for just one home/home (OU-Neb doing the same thing I believe). And for WVU-VT it will be almost 2 decades after expansion. It is just kinda lame in my view. If the rivalry was so great, why give it up? And for what? an additional home game with an FCS school? This issue sums up for me all that is wrong with conference expansion.

WRT WVU-VT, I say "why bother?" And I'm not even taking into account all the reasons posters here have cited concerning fan behavior, etc.

I'd rather play someone new from the BigTen or SEC (Purdue or Ole Miss or someone like that).
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Wed Jul 10 2013 at 12:21 AM.

One it has nothing to do with rivalries but money.. Sec teams will not play home and home with vt . So case closed. We are playing a Tract right now with home and home with big 10. Wv was a cheap 1 time event . By then a new generation with no experience with west va will be attending. It will be bo
    About 20 years

But if it's such a big money maker, then why not play it every year? Look, I can see having to stop playing temporarily due to scheduling problems with a conference change. But to wait this long, and then get together for just two years? Lame.

And WRT SEC and other major conferences not wanting to do home/home with us or other ACC teams, I say screw it. Let's add conference game (9 or even 10).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    One it has nothing to do with rivalries but money.. Sec teams will not play home and home with vt . So case closed. We are playing a Tract right now with home and home with big 10. Wv was a cheap 1 time event . By then a new generation with no experience with west va will be attending. It will be bo
    About 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    And WRT SEC and other major conferences not wanting to do home/home with us or other ACC teams, I say screw it. Let's add conference game (9 or even 10).
    There should be more conference games every year.

But if it's such a big money maker, then why not play it every year? Look, I can see having to stop playing temporarily due to scheduling problems with a conference change. But to wait this long, and then get together for just two years? Lame.

The ACC tried to increase the number of conference games to 9, but it was shot down by Clemson, FSU, and GT primarily because of their SEC rivalry game and the ACC's requirement to play Notre Dame. I am not sure of Louisville's position on the issue, but I could them being against increasing the number of conference games beyond 8 because of their annual rivalry game against Kentucky. I am pretty sure those 4 schools would be against a 10 game conference schedule because they would have no flexibility in their OOC schedule in the years they are scheduled to play Notre Dame. Their OOC schedule would be Notre Dame and their rival SEC school.

If VT wants more home-home series against "Power 5" schools, then VT will probably be limited to Big Ten, Big XII, and PAC-12 schools. If VT wants to schedule home-home series with SEC schools, then it may be limited to Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi St, (maybe) LSU, and (maybe) Texas A&M. The only reason I included LSU and Texas A&M is because both schools have played VT in a home-home series, so they might be willing to agree to another one.

But if it's such a big money maker, then why not play it every year?
    I'm sure this is just a trial run, with additional games to be evaluated based on events surrounding the two games.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

I think the WVU series will end up helping the program.

It annoys me that all these conference expansion deals are done without much regard for the fans and the rivalries. A&M-Texas, Oklahoma-Nebraska, and to a lesser extent WVU-VT were all casualties of expansion.

WRT WVU-VT, I say "why bother?" And I'm not even taking into account all the reasons posters here have cited concerning fan behavior, etc.

I'd rather play someone new from the BigTen or SEC (Purdue or Ole Miss or someone like that).
    I'd love to play a program like Michigan State, or Penn State, or a similar school every year, but they're not lining up to play us. WVU might just be the best we could hope for as a regular opponent.

Look at it this way: VT is looking at some pretty dismal ACC schedules in the future. WVU is a game that hokies will attend in force, and I'm actually looking forward to it. It's better than Marshall, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I'd love to play a program like Michigan State, or Penn State, or a similar school every year, but they're not lining up to play us. WVU might just be the best we could hope for as a regular opponent.

Look at it this way: VT is looking at some pretty dismal ACC schedules in the future. WVU is a game that hokies will attend in force, and I'm actually looking forward to it. It's better than Marshall, right?
    Absolutely agree. If you don't like WV then give us a better alternative. It sure beats Marshall or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Absolutely agree. If you don't like WV then give us a better alternative. It sure beats Marshall or whatever.
    If a game with WVU would carry a guarantee that the only blood spilled would be on the field - then I'm with you. Since no guarantee exists - I'm not with you. The proportions of a game with WVU extend beyond the field - that's the history - that's the problem.

In my opinion, the disdain a lot of Hokies have sown over sigining this game is the reason why we should play it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post