Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Max Ponzurick 3B, tweeted that he had committed to VT

Ranked High Honorable Mention by Perfect Game

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=318744

Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post

Nice get! Looks like a good start for New Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post

I don't won't to be too negative, but HS baseball commits, particularly from guys with this physical build, are pretty meaningless. If he has a breakout senior year, we'll never see him. Even if he signs a LOI, if Bud Selig calls his name early enough, his official visit will be his one visit to B'burg.

College baseball is, without a doubt, the hardest college sport to recruit for, because of the setup. You have to be able to identify those "middles" that are willing to take a 3 year chance on improving their standing, because the best of the high school guys are going to sign pro contracts. College baseball is the one sport that doesn't recruit the best high school players.

Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    I don't won't to be too negative, but HS baseball commits, particularly from guys with this physical build, are pretty meaningless. If he has a breakout senior year, we'll never see him. Even if he signs a LOI, if Bud Selig calls his name early enough, his official visit will be his one visit to B'burg.

College baseball is, without a doubt, the hardest college sport to recruit for, because of the setup. You have to be able to identify those "middles" that are willing to take a 3 year chance on improving their standing, because the best of the high school guys are going to sign pro contracts. College baseball is the one sport that doesn't recruit the best high school players.
    I don't disagree it's arguably the hardest sport to recruit (since you need quality players but also have to strike a balance and not lose too much to the draft). But MLB's new bonus slots have resulted in the "fringe" guys ending up in college. Every kid meets with his adviser/parents, and they have their price tag. If MLB teams don't have him slotted anywhere near that price, these kids are now going undrafted or maybe getting a flier in the 30th+ round.

This looks like a great pickup for Coach Mason, the kid definitely has a lot of tools. But unless he becomes much more refined by next season, I don't see him getting drafted or drafted high enough to keep him away from school.

I definitely am not saying that as a knock to the kid, because I would love to see him make it to Blacksburg, just my opinion.

UNC seems to sign their fair share of HS talent, just like every top program. Sure you lose a few, but getting 45 to 75% to sign is pretty good. Thats why UNC pitching is so deep signs 5 top guys , gets 2-3 he's good for 3 years, because he does it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post
    UNC seems to sign their fair share of HS talent, just like every top program. Sure you lose a few, but getting 45 to 75% to sign is pretty good. Thats why UNC pitching is so deep signs 5 top guys , gets 2-3 he's good for 3 years, because he does it every year.
    With all of that talent, one has to wonder if their baseball program follows the Butch Davis ethics model?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

The "Carolina Way" pervasive in EVERY program at the school, although with P.J. Hairston's recent troubles it is now spelled as the "Carolina Weigh".
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    With all of that talent, one has to wonder if their baseball program follows the Butch Davis ethics model?

Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post
    UNC actually loses a lot of guys compared to some teams. UVa is particularly successful at keeping guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
    UNC actually loses a lot of guys compared to some teams. UVa is particularly successful at keeping guys.
    If that's case how come their pitching is so deep?

Bonus slotting is cutting down on this quite a bit. So being drafted is one thing, but this kid would have to go pretty high (Top 10 rounds) to make it worth signing out of high school (although I have no knowledge of what his economic situation is or what he would judge as the number to bounce on).