Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wvu?

Wvu?

For chat? The rescheduling of WVU. Does most on here find that an oddity? VT was in position of power IMO. What is going on? I am not totally against this game as some are. Will admit this is strange after all has been said from Beamer/Weaver. Plus I would imagine our fanbase hold's some ill will toward's the Ear faithful(and should). Still why all of sudden this game to happen? Should we in next few year's monitor WVU movement in academic standing's? Their fan behavior? FSU and Clemson I believe wanted the EERS in last expansion. With the BIG 12 being unstable(TEXAS and OU) could the eers need a league. Has the conference's learned that rivalries and travel mean more then just money. Doubt that! Beamer/Weaver will most likely not take part in this game. For me that add's to the oddity. Why then? WVU IMO desperately needed this game. VT does not. Or do we? No matter I find it hard to believe it will happen. But not for 8 year's. Hopefully lesson's have been learned and this great rival game could happen yearly.

Any of the guru's want to take a shot at why VT signed this deal?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    For chat? The rescheduling of WVU. Does most on here find that an oddity? VT was in position of power IMO. What is going on? I am not totally against this game as some are. Will admit this is strange after all has been said from Beamer/Weaver. Plus I would imagine our fanbase hold's some ill will toward's the Ear faithful(and should). Still why all of sudden this game to happen? Should we in next few year's monitor WVU movement in academic standing's? Their fan behavior? FSU and Clemson I believe wanted the EERS in last expansion. With the BIG 12 being unstable(TEXAS and OU) could the eers need a league. Has the conference's learned that rivalries and travel mean more then just money. Doubt that! Beamer/Weaver will most likely not take part in this game. For me that add's to the oddity. Why then? WVU IMO desperately needed this game. VT does not. Or do we? No matter I find it hard to believe it will happen. But not for 8 year's. Hopefully lesson's have been learned and this great rival game could happen yearly.
    First off, not even close to being a guru. But I think WVU needs to find as many local non-conference opponents as possible to offset travel costs in the Big XII. Don't be surprised if Pitt and UMd end up on WVU's schedule very soon (if they haven't already). I'm sure Oliver Luck is dialing the phone to OSU, PSU and some other ACC schools like UVa, UNC and NCSU too.

As far as monitoring WVU's academic standing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a push forward. Unfortunately, West Virginia has no big City or properous industry to grow their university as quickly as they may need to. That's unless the Marcellus Shale Coalition finds large reserves of natural gas and provides that economic boom to the State... and thus WVU.

I think it was Weaver in his own way trying to once again "thank" the fan base.

Just like wanting more Sat games he wants to make big time games more accessible to fans, and even Morgantown is easier than a trip to Miami or the OOC trips to Ann Arbor or Wisc.

Plus this game will be a big time money maker between reduced travel and the popularity it will generate. As for his previous statements about fan behavior I think 2 things played a part. The first is that he is taking WVU at their word for legitimately trying to become a better host and cleaner fan base. The other like you said he doesnt really care since he will be gone by then.

I think just like everything Weaver has done its a business decision, and a pretty good one, small expense, potential great payout.

WVU's biggest problem is their fan behavior. Actually that's probably #2 behind their administration's tolerance for unacceptable fan behavior. If their administration starts kicking obnoxious eers out, and arresting the 5-10% who are the actual violent malcontents in and around the stadium, I'm all for resuming the series. Lets just say I'll believe it when I see it.

You shouldn't have to dress in WVU or neutral colors just to feel safe cheering your team at Mountaineer Stadium. That's total crap! Until visiting fans can feel safe watching games there in their own school colors, WVU doesn't deserve a home/away series.

"You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    WVU's biggest problem is their fan behavior. Actually that's probably #2 behind their administration's tolerance for unacceptable fan behavior. If their administration starts kicking obnoxious eers out, and arresting the 5-10% who are the actual violent malcontents in and around the stadium, I'm all for resuming the series. Lets just say I'll believe it when I see it.

You shouldn't have to dress in WVU or neutral colors just to feel safe cheering your team at Mountaineer Stadium. That's total crap! Until visiting fans can feel safe watching games there in their own school colors, WVU doesn't deserve a home/away series.

120% agree.

If WVU ever wants a "chance" to get into the ACC, their administration will have to (1) clean up their fan behavior and turn them into model citizens and (2) improve their academic standing. Both are achievable but it all depends on the administration. IF WVU fans can be respectful and tolerant like most college football fans, then I wouldn't mind seeing them in the ACC. WVU would once again make the ACC geographically contiguous and give the conference another good football program with a loyal fan base.

Couldn't agree more, but I'll believe they've changed when they have an actual track record spanning several years for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    If WVU ever wants a "chance" to get into the ACC, their administration will have to (1) clean up their fan behavior and turn them into model citizens and (2) improve their academic standing. Both are achievable but it all depends on the administration. IF WVU fans can be respectful and tolerant like most college football fans, then I wouldn't mind seeing them in the ACC. WVU would once again make the ACC geographically contiguous and give the conference another good football program with a loyal fan base.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Could this be part of that ACC-Big XII Scheduling Alliance that was floating in the media 3 or 4 months ago? If it is, then WVU will be playing more ACC schools as well.

Couldn't agree more, but I'll believe they've changed when they have an actual track record spanning several years for proof.
    What would qualify as "an actual track record spanning several years for proof?" I ask that question because the ACC's GOR, the Big XII's GOR, both conference's TV contracts, and Notre Dame's TV contract expire within a short period (i.e. less than 5 years) of each other. Assuming the Big XII does not change its membership, then I believe that there is a 50% chance (as of today) of WVU deciding to renew the Big XII's GOR for another 12 years. If that is correct, then it would appear that maybe Luck is trying to establish a foundation for WVU's exit from the Big XII. Given that all the things I mention above will occur right around each other, then the ACC may have only a small "window" to make a decision about WVU.

Then there is the Notre Dame factor. It would be nice if Notre Dame would tell the ACC "yes, we want to become full members so go find someone to become the 16th member." However, I suspect it will probably go down like the chicken and the egg argument; Notre Dame will either give a soft commitment contengent upon who will be the 16th member or Notre Dame will require the ACC to decide who will become the 16th member and at least be willing to offer a conditional membership before Notre Dame will make any commitment on becoming the 15th member.

The irony in the ACC offering a conditional full membership pending Notre Dame's approval is I am not too sure too many schools would go for that because if Notre Dame does not approve then the school would have burned its bridge with its current conference (especially if made public). If the ACC offers full membership to the 16th school and Notre Dame says no, then the ACC will be left scrambling to find a replacement school (probably football-only membership) for Notre Dame. I believe that would basically limit the ACC's choices to either Army or Navy unless the ACC is willing to expand to 17 full members.

Because Luck came to Blacksburg and visited Weaver. The got to remembering the rivalry and looked at future schedules. The first mutual home and home dates were in eight years since that is how far out everybody schedules.

It is 2 ADs from 2 schools doing what they are hired to do. It is not part of anything bigger nor is it a conspiracy.

Sometimes things are what they are.

I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.