Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The thread a few posts down......

Why did JJ attend the spring game and not attend big BB showcase weekend events in LA or Dallas? Was he told to attend the SG, Or did he think he should for VT family reasons? Does anyone really know?

JJ knows

Quote Originally Posted by hokie4ever View Post
    Why did JJ attend the spring game and not attend big BB showcase weekend events in LA or Dallas? Was he told to attend the SG, Or did he think he should for VT family reasons? Does anyone really know?
    My understanding is that JJ had no option other than spring game.
    They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time.

Quote Originally Posted by vt90 View Post
    And what is the source of your understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    And what is the source of your understanding?
    not sure if this is what VT90 was referring too, but in a post the other day, the words "expected to be" and "supposed to be" were used. I asked about the use of those words and didn't get a response. from what some people have said, it's a situation that is being tip-toed around and that's understandable.

http://www.techsideline.com/forums/s...258#post799258
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    not sure if this is what VT90 was referring too, but in a post the other day, the words "expected to be" and "supposed to be" were used. I asked about the use of those words and didn't get a response. from what some people have said, it's a situation that is being tip-toed around and that's understandable.

http://www.techsideline.com/forums/s...258#post799258
    Here is what I think...certain posters rightly receive a lot of credibility for their knowledge and exposure to college basketball and recruiting in particular. We should put a great deal of weight into C'ville's evaluation of what AAU events and player evaluations are important for coaches to attend.

But phrases and generalities like the ones you cited are similar to the techniques that fortune-tellers use. They are designed to let the reader "read in" what they want to about the situation while believing that they heard it straight from the teller. To me they are a clear warning sign that the person doing the telling probably has reached the end of their direct knowledge of the situation and is now speculating in generalities. If you choose the right audience, the reader/listener WANTS to believe that Jim Weaver told JJ he had to be at the spring game, so they will fill the specifics in themselves.

I don't believe that the guru in question is in a position to know why JJ was at the spring game. Yet, I believe he is an expert to opine on why it was a bad idea. I haven't asked JJ why he was there, and if he told me I probably wouldn't post it on the internet. But, I know enough about Jim Weaver that I would be astounded if he micromanaged a coach's schedule in that way. I understand that Jim Weaver is not a charismatic figure and why that hurts his job performance. I despise the way he handled the Greenberg firing, but I believe it needed to be done. But how in the world can anyone simultaneously believe that Weaver is an absentee leader, yet he is micromanaging where JJ should be on a given day (outside one annual departmental meeting where compliance issues are covered)? That doesn't pass the smell test to me. Greenberg missed that annual meeting for years before it was cited by Weaver as one contributing factor (an illustration really) as to why Seth was canned.

Based upon a post on a message board. No matter how many times that speculation is posted it still doesn't make it a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by vt90 View Post
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Here is what I think...certain posters rightly receive a lot of credibility for their knowledge and exposure to college basketball and recruiting in particular. We should put a great deal of weight into C'ville's evaluation of what AAU events and player evaluations are important for coaches to attend.

But phrases and generalities like the ones you cited are similar to the techniques that fortune-tellers use. They are designed to let the reader "read in" what they want to about the situation while believing that they heard it straight from the teller. To me they are a clear warning sign that the person doing the telling probably has reached the end of their direct knowledge of the situation and is now speculating in generalities. If you choose the right audience, the reader/listener WANTS to believe that Jim Weaver told JJ he had to be at the spring game, so they will fill the specifics in themselves.

I don't believe that the guru in question is in a position to know why JJ was at the spring game. Yet, I believe he is an expert to opine on why it was a bad idea. I haven't asked JJ why he was there, and if he told me I probably wouldn't post it on the internet. But, I know enough about Jim Weaver that I would be astounded if he micromanaged a coach's schedule in that way. I understand that Jim Weaver is not a charismatic figure and why that hurts his job performance. I despise the way he handled the Greenberg firing, but I believe it needed to be done. But how in the world can anyone simultaneously believe that Weaver is an absentee leader, yet he is micromanaging where JJ should be on a given day (outside one annual departmental meeting where compliance issues are covered)? That doesn't pass the smell test to me. Greenberg missed that annual meeting for years before it was cited by Weaver as one contributing factor (an illustration really) as to why Seth was canned.
    That's all fine and dandy but I didn't mean to insinuate that I was buying what cville was cooking. Just mentioning the other post. Not sure we will ever know the "why".

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    That's all fine and dandy but I didn't mean to insinuate that I was buying what cville was cooking. Just mentioning the other post. Not sure we will ever know the "why".
    I don't think Weaver told him to go to the spring game either. And you won't find much love from me for Weaver these days.

But I do think JJ saw what happened to Greenberg and a precedent has been set on how to stay in Weaver's good graces. SG was fired in part due to not being good ole boys with the rest of the Athletic Department and more specifically the football program. (Note I said in part, it wasn't the sole reason) And one of primary reasons JJ was hired was his good relationship with others in the Athletic Department and contribution to the "family atmosphere". I think it is very likely JJ just thought that going to the spring game would be a good decision for his job security considering the priorities of his boss. I probably would have made the same decision as JJ. I would also jump at my first opportunity for a HC job at a comparable program because of these priorities of my boss (which JJ likely will if he succeeds here and the "environment" hasn't changed by then).
    Last edited by HokieMadness; Mon Jul 08 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMadness View Post
    I don't think Weaver told him to go to the spring game either. And you won't find much love from me for Weaver these days.

But I do think JJ saw what happened to Greenberg and a precedent has been set on how to stay in Weaver's good graces. SG was fired in part due to not being good ole boys with the rest of the Athletic Department and more specifically the football program. (Note I said in part, it wasn't the sole reason) And one of primary reasons JJ was hired was his good relationship with others in the Athletic Department and contribution to the "family atmosphere". I think it is very likely JJ just thought that going to the spring game would be a good decision for his job security considering the priorities of his boss. I probably would have made the same decision as JJ. I would also jump at my first opportunity for a HC job at a comparable program because of these priorities of my boss (which JJ likely will if he succeeds here and the "environment" hasn't changed by then).
    i could see it playing out that way. we've all had those meetings or events where attendance isn't mandatory but it's highly encouraged. it also wouldn't blow me away to find out that weaver directly told the head coaches that the spring game will be an athletic department solidarity event. i'm not necessarily opposed to that but it definitely doesn't help change his image on basketball.

to be honest, i feel like weaver is all over the map and i'm kind of over trying to read him. no thursday games because it's a reward for the fans but didn't do any due diligence, hiring without due diligence, no WVU series but only until Andrew Luck's dad calls, etc etc. oh well.