Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    Well, we know the early answer on which former VT player/signee will play great basketball at another school.
    I think it's still too early to make that call. We still have a few more years for additional transfers to happen.

As I have posted frequently over past few years - my cynicism over VT outcomes (be it recruits, ncaa issues, game outcomes,etc)
    once again born out.....(nothing new this time other than it being a bball recruit---we evidently can't land /won't even attempt to compete for 4 or 5 star players--- we go after players who could be good but always have some question mark -- that becomes a NO (VT never cuts anyone any slack - which I wouldn't have a problem with if other schools were held to / or maintained same standards---- they take the kid , use him for a year or two ( as long as he is productive) then move on to the next person. In basketball, we end up with shorthanded teams, 1/4 walkons, and maybe 1 or 2 (if lucky) highly rated guards- a decent forward, and large forward playing center. The Cassell can be a torture chamber for opposing teams when full of motivated students/fans --- unfortunately, its the students & fans that usually end up being the ones tortured...

I agree with Chris' cynical but true assessment....whatever great or good recruits we have attempt to commit.....will never play a game ----the victim(s)(always more than one player) of some kind of bench riding athletic injury..VT needs to become a catholic/ religious based university with routine exorcisms, spirtual cleansings of the campus and athletic facilities.

There were reports that Hokie club memberships dropped by over 1600 earlier this year.....and for the first time in decades season football tickets are available for purchase by general public ........those of us who have been hokie club donors (while & since I attended VT) now starting to look like chumps.

Makes one wonder- if we started to recruiting the kids that say Davidson, W&M, Lehigh etc. - intelligent , well rounded kids, that are athletically a cut below a normal ACC athlete, how would we fare (that much worse?) and how would the perception or our program change? Could we even get kids like that if we tried? Not with the current staff.

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    As I have posted frequently over past few years - my cynicism over VT outcomes (be it recruits, ncaa issues, game outcomes,etc)
    once again born out.....(nothing new this time other than it being a bball recruit---we evidently can't land /won't even attempt to compete for 4 or 5 star players--- we go after players who could be good but always have some question mark -- that becomes a NO (VT never cuts anyone any slack - which I wouldn't have a problem with if other schools were held to / or maintained same standards---- they take the kid , use him for a year or two ( as long as he is productive) then move on to the next person. In basketball, we end up with shorthanded teams, 1/4 walkons, and maybe 1 or 2 (if lucky) highly rated guards- a decent forward, and large forward playing center. The Cassell can be a torture chamber for opposing teams when full of motivated students/fans --- unfortunately, its the students & fans that usually end up being the ones tortured...

I agree with Chris' cynical but true assessment....whatever great or good recruits we have attempt to commit.....will never play a game ----the victim(s)(always more than one player) of some kind of bench riding athletic injury..VT needs to become a catholic/ religious based university with routine exorcisms, spirtual cleansings of the campus and athletic facilities.

There were reports that Hokie club memberships dropped by over 1600 earlier this year.....and for the first time in decades season football tickets are available for purchase by general public ........those of us who have been hokie club donors (while & since I attended VT) now starting to look like chumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    athletically a cut below a normal ACC athlete, how would we fare (that much worse?) and how would the perception or our program change? Could we even get kids like that if we tried? Not with the current staff.
    I think we could, but we won't b/c that's not what JJ wants to do. As much as Donahue at BC wants a slower halfcourt approach, arguably with the types of players you're talking about that are maybe more of a midmajor mold athletically..JJ wants athletes who can run and press. IMO, in order for that to work and win ACC games, it's got to be like what Smart is doing at VCU - a system that they're so good at, they force their opponent out of their game and comfort zone.

Hoops takes yet another summer hit again. I saw Emelogu (sp) play in person once.

Quote Originally Posted by vtfan15 View Post
    nm
    Dont pretend to be an expert like Cville, KIP or GC, but I liked what I saw.
    Kid has a quick first srep to the basket and is , to me anyway, a true wing that can play a 2.

He absolutely took over the game I saw.
    His coach sang his praises, especially as a fine young man thats a good player with tremendous upside. His only negative is his jumpshot: he can absolutely light it upwhen hes On, but when he's off, he tries too hard and gets in a hole mentally.
    That's something that can be worked on as he matures. Hope he can be a contributor this year.

and VCUs admission policy

Quote Originally Posted by me hokie 07 View Post
    yup, someone post when he joins some other school, i will bet big on his team in the tourney his entire career
    umass

Quote Originally Posted by vtfan15 View Post
    nm

going to Umass now

Quote Originally Posted by dctitan49 View Post
    umass
    http://www.gazettenet.com/blogs/umas...e-nonqualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    According to that, he's a non or partial qualifier. Is the article wrong or have we been misinformed?