Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieMadness View Post
    I think firing him at all was a red flag to the profession. And the way it unfolded just compounded the problem and made the job look even worse.

We will forever disagree on what SG accomplished here and that's ok. But I don't think you fire a guy in any situation unless you have someone better to replace him with.
    The big thing I'll always take out of it was the timing. Did Weaver even realize that by firing SG at the end of April that VT had wasted one of the two major evaluation periods for the 2013 class? I'm not even sure he did, but who really knows?

I'm simply never going to be able to agree with your opinion that actually making the NCAA tournament is not a very important metric when evaluating the performance of Men's Basketball coaches at the ACC level. We will never agree on this.

I think SG performed in line with how he had performed at both HC jobs he had before VT. I think he was what he was. Perhaps in his next stop, wherever or whenever that may be he will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

This is all really a non-sequitur though, the bottom line is that JW is a disaster for MBB at this school, and he keeps finding ways to make bad situations worse.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMadness View Post
    The profession realizes there's a lot more to a resume than NCAA tourney berths. If you use that as your sole metric then every team that doesn't make the tourney is judged as to have had equally successful seasons. That is absurd considering there are 340 teams in the NCAA.

Take a look at VT's ACC finishes in SG's last 6 seasons (after the massive rebuild job required for the first 3 years). I posted it months ago and don't feel like going back and doing the research. The profession knows what he accomplished.

You are welcome to disagree with my final sentence. I've fired/hired quite a few people in my job. I always gauge the interest for the job opening up (and have a good idea of the caliber of candidate, or the actual candidate all but hired already) before making a decision on the timing of the firing. It is irresponsible not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    The big thing I'll always take out of it was the timing. Did Weaver even realize that by firing SG at the end of April that VT had wasted one of the two major evaluation periods for the 2013 class? I'm not even sure he did, but who really knows?
    I think Weaver and Seth had an ego clash and in a moment of rage Weaver decided to can SG all else be darned...

Did Weaver even realize that by firing SG at the end of April that VT had wasted one of the two major evaluation periods for the 2013 class? I'm not even sure he did, but who really knows?
    If he didn't, I would expect Tom Gabbard to have known and for that to have been a consideration. Same with this past April and not a single VT coach at the LA AAU event, the weekend of the Spring game. I know we had a vacancy with Byington's position and JJ was at spring game but still wonder why any of 3 other guys on staff didn't go.

That's sort of a "which dead horse smells worse" comparison. Both are over and done and nothing will change it. It's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeridgehokie View Post
    fiasco from the 80s. I hope it is the Moir situation when I was a student as I don't want to see VT get that bad again as it was through the "Frankie Hankie" years!!
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post
    So you think it was the firing of him at all that was the problem? I don't think that's correct. There was enough to fire him after that last season. Sometimes coaches just run their course at places, it happens. That's why Seth was out looking for new places like SMU as well. The issue with his firing wasn't that he was fired at all, it was the Dumpster Fire that Weaver turned the whole thing into.

I'm sorry, as a High-Major Coach, you simply have to make the NCAA Tournament more than once a decade - it's just part of the job description. I know you don't like it, and I know you don't want it to be true, but you have to make the bloody tournament.

SG couldn't do that. He tried and he tried, but he couldn't. So you part ways. Good try, good luck in your next place, and you try and get someone new. OR you hold on until the end of his contract, let that last class play out for the most part and see what happens (which was my preferred outcome). You do one or the other. What you don't do is whatever the hell Weaver did. He took a bad situation in a school with a bad reputation and made it worse.

It's almost impressive in how hard of a failure it is.
    Well, it could be argued too that twice, the team did enough to make the NCAA tournament but got snubbed bad by the selection committee. And the team was hit by the injury bug really hard several years.

Not saying that it should have necessarily been enough to give SG a pass, but it wasn't like the teams were just bad and never played well enough to make the tournament.

Regardless of that, I think we are all in agreement the timing was horrible. If your'e going to can a coach, do it right at the end of a season, not in the middle of the offseason and recruiting period like Weaver did. We'll probably never know what happened exactly, but waiting as long as JW did strikes me as either sheer incompetence, or someone that made an emotional decision, and either one is bad for an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by novahokie03 View Post
    Well, it could be argued too that twice, the team did enough to make the NCAA tournament but got snubbed bad by the selection committee. And the team was hit by the injury bug really hard several years.

Not saying that it should have necessarily been enough to give SG a pass, but it wasn't like the teams were just bad and never played well enough to make the tournament.

Regardless of that, I think we are all in agreement the timing was horrible. If your'e going to can a coach, do it right at the end of a season, not in the middle of the offseason and recruiting period like Weaver did. We'll probably never know what happened exactly, but waiting as long as JW did strikes me as either sheer incompetence, or someone that made an emotional decision, and either one is bad for an AD.
    If SG was snubbed by the selection committee it was because of him calling them insane. So that is his fault only and should be held accountable for it. You shouldn't get a pass for being good enough to be selected but was left out for insulting the decision makers...

I agree with you on JW 100000%.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieSA View Post
    If he didn't, I would expect Tom Gabbard to have known and for that to have been a consideration. Same with this past April and not a single VT coach at the LA AAU event, the weekend of the Spring game. I know we had a vacancy with Byington's position and JJ was at spring game but still wonder why any of 3 other guys on staff didn't go.
    The assistants were at the AAU event in Pittsburgh that weekend. We had more targets at that event. JJ was at the TSL Tailgate, haha.

Ahh didn't know about Pittsburgh...that makes me feel better, I had gotten the impression we weren't anywhere that weekend, one of the 2 critical live periods.

It still seemed like we were the only ACC program not in LA, and one of just a few D I programs without a rep in LA..I guess it's part of a broader recruiting strategy by JJ and staff.

Interesting that up until now this little tidbit has not been brought up by ANYONE!!
    The assistants were at the AAU event in Pittsburgh that weekend. We had more targets at that event. JJ was at the TSL Tailgate, haha.