Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    Interesting.

So if important people already know about this and it is negatively affecting our program, why the big secret?

Reminds me of the recent so called NSA leak scandal.

NSA has been snooping on everyone since the electron was harnessed and everyone has known this, but now profess shock.

Well, maybe not the best analogy, but if the dirty laundry is known...?

Maybe not in your interest to discuss or maybe you don't know.

Whatever the case, if I were you, I'd either lay it all out there, or zip it.

Nothing gained by the implications associated with your post that I can see except plant a seed that produces a cloud over the program.

Why do that?

I feel pretty confident that nothing I post on this message board has any kind of power to put a cloud over this or any program. I was asked a question, did my best to answer but there are some things that I am not free to share and don't wish to.

Your NSA example is a good one - it turned out that a million or so people had had the clearance Snowden did yet none chose to do what he did. Sometimes being in the college basketball world where certain stories and issues are common knowledge but those things almost never escape that bubble to fans, media etc.

I will say this - from my experience on fan message boards, if a program is doing well and a fan comes and spills their guts about the dirty behind the scenes issues, people will attack them and not believe anyway. I will say that if most college bball fans had to see the everyday realities that go on recruiting at the highest levels of this sport that many would continue to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Right now, there are 4 BCS level programs without an NCAA sanctioned National Championship. Kansas St, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Virginia Tech. The only reason Ole Miss is listed is because the NCAA doesn't recognize football natty titles in the highest subdivision. Lets worry about splitting hairs on which National Championships "matter" and which ones don't after we actually win one.
    Man, this makes me feel bad I didn't root for Miss. St. to win the CWS. They deserved it for knocking out the 'Hoos

Right on NC- I don't appreciate the smack talk from VT haters- but let's not minimalize the truth either just because it hurts. It is a very depressing stat- period -for which there is really no good rebuttal.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Right now, there are 4 BCS level programs without an NCAA sanctioned National Championship. Kansas St, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Virginia Tech. The only reason Ole Miss is listed is because the NCAA doesn't recognize football natty titles in the highest subdivision. Lets worry about splitting hairs on which National Championships "matter" and which ones don't after we actually win one.

CVille- this is a depressing if not surprising quote- "I will say that if most college bball fans had to see the everyday realities that go on recruiting at the highest levels of this sport that many would continue to support it."

Two questions: Do you ever question if you are in the right profession? Do you think it is possible for a program of VT's stature to advance to prominence without either being totally immersed in the muck or walking the line of balance pretty gingerly?

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    I feel pretty confident that nothing I post on this message board has any kind of power to put a cloud over this or any program. I was asked a question, did my best to answer but there are some things that I am not free to share and don't wish to.

Your NSA example is a good one - it turned out that a million or so people had had the clearance Snowden did yet none chose to do what he did. Sometimes being in the college basketball world where certain stories and issues are common knowledge but those things almost never escape that bubble to fans, media etc.

I will say this - from my experience on fan message boards, if a program is doing well and a fan comes and spills their guts about the dirty behind the scenes issues, people will attack them and not believe anyway. I will say that if most college bball fans had to see the everyday realities that go on recruiting at the highest levels of this sport that many would continue to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    CVille- this is a depressing if not surprising quote- "I will say that if most college bball fans had to see the everyday realities that go on recruiting at the highest levels of this sport that many would continue to support it."

Two questions: Do you ever question if you are in the right profession? Do you think it is possible for a program of VT's stature to advance to prominence without either being totally immersed in the muck or walking the line of balance pretty gingerly?
    I'm not CVille, but from everything I have heard, if you aren't willing to get dirty on the recruiting trail, you're not going to be successful in the sport, ESPECIALLY in basketball, where the sleaze is so rampant.

The worst part is that the NCAA has become so inept and emasculated that even if a program is violating the rules and flaunting it in their faces, like Miami and UNC did, they STILL don't have the stones to actually punish someone. They know they are one ill advised sanction away from the big conferences splitting away and creating their own organization. Could they go after Virginia Tech if they caught us breaking the rules now? Sure... MAYBE... but the ACC would come to bat for us, and there is a greater chance we'd get off with a minor slap on the wrist than there would be with us actually getting punished.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiego View Post
    These are national championships that do not matter. In college sports only football and Men's basketball matter to anyone other than the kid playing the sport and the parents of these kids. I do not even know why colleges give scholarships in these sports. I think it would be better to fund academic stars.

If you think rowing is important than you should at least give VT props for having individual national champions in track. Numerous occasions in recent history.
    My initial reaction was that "they don't matter" unless it is your school. I'd take them and crow about them, too. But you are correct in that it is fair to compare rowing championships to individual track championships. In fact, I'd rather have the individual track championships. About the only thing rowing championships edges out is bass fishing championships. And that is just a maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    Right on NC- I don't appreciate the smack talk from VT haters- but let's not minimalize the truth either just because it hurts. It is a very depressing stat- period -for which there is really no good rebuttal.

Just wanted to say this is a great post. Folks can say it doesn't matter to anybody, but trust me, when you start winning it starts to matter. You can see it in a minor way on these boards, with the pride folks take in softball and wrestling when things are going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post

Fair enough.

I'm one that is very close to just forgetting about college BB based on what I know.

And I fear that if BB programs are not cleaned up, FB programs will follow suit.

In fact, some have already moved down that path.

Fran Tarkington had a lot to say about this in a very recent interview.

Very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    Fair enough.

I'm one that is very close to just forgetting about college BB based on what I know.

And I fear that if BB programs are not cleaned up, FB programs will follow suit.

In fact, some have already moved down that path.

Fran Tarkington had a lot to say about this in a very recent interview.

Very sad indeed.
    Is the Tarkenton interview accessible online?
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Pops View Post
    I'm so tired of the "VT is a football school" comment. VT is like 95% of other "BCS schools". Football is the most popular sport when the football program is performing well. If VT could string together a few years of post-season success in another major sport, then the support would be there. Fans are attracted to winning. That's how the support for VT football started in the 90's. Prior to that, one could argue that VT was a basketball school more than anything else. Win consistently and fans will be there. It's a pretty simple formula and its not unique to VT.
    It is more than the popularity of a sport among a school's fanbase or the success/failure of its sports. It is also about which sport or sports does the school embrace as its sport's identity. For example, Wichita State has recently become good in men's basketball (which by most people's definition is 1 of the 2 "defining" sports in college athletics). However, the school built its identity on baseball and for the most part still views itself as a "baseball" school. Something else to consider the amount of time a sport is linked with a school's identity. For example Duke, Indiana, and Kentucky have built their identities on basketball. If those schools start to win national championships in football or consistantly finish in the Top 10, then they won't be suddenly known as "basketball and football schools." Even after Florida won a national championship in football and men's basketball, it did not suddenly become known as a "basketball and football school." Instead it was perceived as a "football school" that has now become good in basketball.

Something else to keep in mind is the school's identity can often dictate how the school will spend its money on capital projects. If Kentucky has enough money to spend on 1 major captial project, then does it spend it on its men's basketball program or football program? If Florida State has enough money to spend on 1 major capital project, then does it spend it on its men's basketball program, football program, or baseball program? In most cases a school will address the needs of its primary sport (the sport that is closely tied to its athletic identity) before addressing the needs of its other sports. Rarely will you find an AD that puts the needs of the secondary sports ahead and at the expense of the primary sport. For example if Duke determines that basketball, football, soccer, and lacrosse all need a brand new stadium, then in most cases Duke will decide to build a new basketball arena first before addressing the needs of the other sports.
    Last edited by VTHokie2000; Wed Jul 03 2013 at 05:17 PM.