Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Pops View Post
    I'm so tired of the "VT is a football school" comment. VT is like 95% of other "BCS schools". Football is the most popular sport when the football program is performing well. If VT could string together a few years of post-season success in another major sport, then the support would be there. Fans are attracted to winning. That's how the support for VT football started in the 90's. Prior to that, one could argue that VT was a basketball school more than anything else. Win consistently and fans will be there. It's a pretty simple formula and its not unique to VT.
    This is utterly hilarious. Yes, fans are attracted to winning, but the AD and the administration at Virginia Tech made a conscious decision to focus their marketing and financial efforts on becoming a "football school" since the early 2000s. And they did it because they had success on the field and they were driven by BCS fever and the almighty dollar. Don't spin this now just because your other athletics have seemingly suffered. Face it, VT is not competitive in virtually any other NCAA sports. A few years ago Greenberg managed to somehow create buzz in the basketball program despite have the worst facilities in the ACC and shockingly VT decides to fire him...what a bonehead move. I don't know how your athletic programs became so nominal, but they did.

Banned
    UVa has won 5 national championships just in the last five years alone!!!! VT has never won a single national championship in anything in VT's entire EXISTENCE!

UVA:
    M Soccer: 2009
    M Lacrosse: 2011
    Rowing: 2010, 2012,
    M Tennis: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by old dominion View Post
    UVa has won 5 national championships just in the last five years alone!!!! VT has never won a single national championship in anything in VT's entire EXISTENCE!

UVA:
    Man, you only made it 11 posts before I noticed you and looked up your profile. Turns out you were deactivated back in 2004 for this...

Talking smack on the
    basketball message board and
    football board, 11/23/04. Example:
    Subject: I hope your joking...
    Posted by: THE UNIVERSITY on
    Tue Nov 23 2004 9:36:09 PM
    Beating up on Maryland-Eastrn
    Shore..... wow, big
    accomplishment...

your in the Fu$%#ng ACC
    now,... if anything else
    happened besides a
    BLOWOUT in this game you
    should forfeit your season. I
    had no idea that your
    expectations were this low
    holy crap.....

These are national championships that do not matter. In college sports only football and Men's basketball matter to anyone other than the kid playing the sport and the parents of these kids. I do not even know why colleges give scholarships in these sports. I think it would be better to fund academic stars.

If you think rowing is important than you should at least give VT props for having individual national champions in track. Numerous occasions in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiego View Post
    These are national championships that do not matter. In college sports only football and Men's basketball matter to anyone other than the kid playing the sport and the parents of these kids. I do not even know why colleges give scholarships in these sports. I think it would be better to fund academic stars.

If you think rowing is important than you should at least give VT props for having individual national champions in track. Numerous occasions in recent history.
    I'd add baseball and women's basketball to your list of those that do matter....maybe lax and softball too. Those are sports where the general population will tune into post season games.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiego View Post

Right now, there are 4 BCS level programs without an NCAA sanctioned National Championship. Kansas St, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Virginia Tech. The only reason Ole Miss is listed is because the NCAA doesn't recognize football natty titles in the highest subdivision. Lets worry about splitting hairs on which National Championships "matter" and which ones don't after we actually win one.

LOL - que up toilet flushing sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    Man, you only made it 11 posts before I noticed you and looked up your profile. Turns out you were deactivated back in 2004 for this...

Quote Originally Posted by old dominion View Post

UVA:
    The Hoos took advantage of being in a great Olympic sports conference fifty years before the Hokies got in. The Hokies then won the football title in their first year which gave them one more than the Hoos had gotten in five decades. The Hokies have since added three more ACC football titles. Not many independent/Metro/Atlantic 10 teams winning national titles over the last 50 years in Lax, soccer, and women's rowing. Give us a few decades in the ACC and we may blow by the Hoos.

I just do not care if we win one in a non-revenue sport if that means we need to take a bunch of foreign kids to win in a sport that no one cares about. If it makes you fell good and it strokes your ego all the power to you. We could have won a soccer championship if w ehad continued to bring in german kids that did not care about school. We were very close if you remember. Their ar etons of colleges bringing in all foreign tennis teams to try and win a title. That is not great for US kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    but the main issue that some important folks take with JJ (and it's not solely a Tidewater issue, though extenuating circumstances magnify it there) is justified in my opinion - I don't share that sentiment but absolutely understand it..
    Interesting.

So if important people already know about this and it is negatively affecting our program, why the big secret?

Reminds me of the recent so called NSA leak scandal.

NSA has been snooping on everyone since the electron was harnessed and everyone has known this, but now profess shock.

Well, maybe not the best analogy, but if the dirty laundry is known...?

Maybe not in your interest to discuss or maybe you don't know.

Whatever the case, if I were you, I'd either lay it all out there, or zip it.

Nothing gained by the implications associated with your post that I can see except plant a seed that produces a cloud over the program.

Why do that?