Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Questions for Cville/Rev/GC..

I think it's clear from posts over many months that VT hoops has a poor image in the 757...anything you can expand on in terms of JJ now vs did it develop more with JJ/staff while under CSG? How much of it is the situation with Doe Doe and John Richardson vs beyond that? What do you think of JJ's (apparent) expansion of recruiting footprint to span lower 48 and beyond, is that out of necessity or do you think he's truly trying to expand VT into areas we've never recruited before?

Apologies if you've gone into detail before, I just missed it but I read every one of your posts I can find...I've gathered there were a lot of details you've hinted at before, just not gone into or perhaps couldn't safely go into detail on, so any info for this and i think other hoops thirsty fans would be appreciated..hearing what a great guy JJ is personally, plus solid bball mind and recruiter, i would think he's trying to repair relations with Boo Williams and others..if he feels he needs to for the betterment of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieSA View Post
    I think it's clear from posts over many months that VT hoops has a poor image in the 757...anything you can expand on in terms of JJ now vs did it develop more with JJ/staff while under CSG? How much of it is the situation with Doe Doe and John Richardson vs beyond that? What do you think of JJ's (apparent) expansion of recruiting footprint to span lower 48 and beyond, is that out of necessity or do you think he's truly trying to expand VT into areas we've never recruited before?

Apologies if you've gone into detail before, I just missed it but I read every one of your posts I can find...I've gathered there were a lot of details you've hinted at before, just not gone into or perhaps couldn't safely go into detail on, so any info for this and i think other hoops thirsty fans would be appreciated..hearing what a great guy JJ is personally, plus solid bball mind and recruiter, i would think he's trying to repair relations with Boo Williams and others..if he feels he needs to for the betterment of the program.
    Not a situation I would like to talk about a great deal. It was caused by actions of all 3 VT coaches you mentioned and personally I'm not a fan of how any of the three handled the situation. I think some of the dislike isn't justified but the main issue that some important folks take with JJ (and it's not solely a Tidewater issue, though extenuating circumstances magnify it there) is justified in my opinion - I don't share that sentiment but absolutely understand it.

Some day in the distant future we will be able to discuss more of the situation around Greenberg's firing, JJ's hiring and why it was very damaging in so many ways. Not sure it's easy to come out of it feeling great about Seth, John, JJ or Jim Weaver to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    Not a situation I would like to talk about a great deal. It was caused by actions of all 3 VT coaches you mentioned and personally I'm not a fan of how any of the three handled the situation. I think some of the dislike isn't justified but the main issue that some important folks take with JJ (and it's not solely a Tidewater issue, though extenuating circumstances magnify it there) is justified in my opinion - I don't share that sentiment but absolutely understand it.

Some day in the distant future we will be able to discuss more of the situation around Greenberg's firing, JJ's hiring and why it was very damaging in so many ways. Not sure it's easy to come out of it feeling great about Seth, John, JJ or Jim Weaver to be honest.
    Ouch!!

so, we'll know more when it's old news and no one cares anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie'79 View Post
    so, we'll know more when it's old news and no one cares anymore
    Pretty much, no one has any right to that kind of info and not sure most would really feel god about revisiting it to be honest.

Thanks Cville..I realize there's certain detail that is just not meant for public consumption. It's interesting to me bc it feels like the program is just stuck in a muck that it'll take several years minimum to climb out of. When it comes to feeling like we've got a fair shot like 344 other programs should have at building something, putting something together that's sustainable, we just don't and it's been one excuse after the other. Whether transfers or injuries leave us with the annual "just X # of scholarship players," to fearing vitriol towards CSG was hamstringing the program from moving forward..I swear sometimes it's felt like we're on probation we're so behind the 8 ball.

Before I go further, lemme preface for anyone tired of negative posts that this is not meant as such..I'm a diehard VT basketball fan and am actually very appreciative of many great moments in 9 yrs under CSG, and I'm currently an ardent supporter of JJ and what he appears to be trying to do with the program, and I won't apologize for it. I go back to the Moir era so I'm all too aware we've been to 4 tournaments in 33 years, and counting. I want JJ to do well even if it would almost be in spite of the admin above him. I know we're rebuilding with over half our 13-14 roster being frosh plus transfer Adam Smith. It's just interesting to me when it feels like we've almost got so many against us, or maybe "not for us" to succeed is a better way to put it. It seems like you Cville and the other gurus, even with jobs that support other programs too, would genuinely like to see VT succeed in hoops..as I think the Hokie Nation would - many are primarily football-heavy fans that cool towards hoops come January, but they would still like to get behind good things happening. Lets hope the freshmen 6 that arrive on campus soon, plus the core group of returnees can surprise some folks this year. Would appreciate anyone's input, and thanks!

facts, even unpleasant ones have a way of resetting the debate and clearing the air. That being said, I can understand the reluctance to air those facts by the involved parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    Pretty much, no one has any right to that kind of info and not sure most would really feel god about revisiting it to be honest.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-- C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by HokieSA View Post
    Thanks Cville..I realize there's certain detail that is just not meant for public consumption. It's interesting to me bc it feels like the program is just stuck in a muck that it'll take several years minimum to climb out of. When it comes to feeling like we've got a fair shot like 344 other programs should have at building something, putting something together that's sustainable, we just don't and it's been one excuse after the other. Whether transfers or injuries leave us with the annual "just X # of scholarship players," to fearing vitriol towards CSG was hamstringing the program from moving forward..I swear sometimes it's felt like we're on probation we're so behind the 8 ball.

Before I go further, lemme preface for anyone tired of negative posts that this is not meant as such..I'm a diehard VT basketball fan and am actually very appreciative of many great moments in 9 yrs under CSG, and I'm currently an ardent supporter of JJ and what he appears to be trying to do with the program, and I won't apologize for it. I go back to the Moir era so I'm all too aware we've been to 4 tournaments in 33 years, and counting. I want JJ to do well even if it would almost be in spite of the admin above him. I know we're rebuilding with over half our 13-14 roster being frosh plus transfer Adam Smith. It's just interesting to me when it feels like we've almost got so many against us, or maybe "not for us" to succeed is a better way to put it. It seems like you Cville and the other gurus, even with jobs that support other programs too, would genuinely like to see VT succeed in hoops..as I think the Hokie Nation would - many are primarily football-heavy fans that cool towards hoops come January, but they would still like to get behind good things happening. Lets hope the freshmen 6 that arrive on campus soon, plus the core group of returnees can surprise some folks this year. Would appreciate anyone's input, and thanks!
    I'm so tired of the "VT is a football school" comment. VT is like 95% of other "BCS schools". Football is the most popular sport when the football program is performing well. If VT could string together a few years of post-season success in another major sport, then the support would be there. Fans are attracted to winning. That's how the support for VT football started in the 90's. Prior to that, one could argue that VT was a basketball school more than anything else. Win consistently and fans will be there. It's a pretty simple formula and its not unique to VT.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Pops View Post
    I'm so tired of the "VT is a football school" comment. VT is like 95% of other "BCS schools". Football is the most popular sport when the football program is performing well. If VT could string together a few years of post-season success in another major sport, then the support would be there. Fans are attracted to winning. That's how the support for VT football started in the 90's. Prior to that, one could argue that VT was a basketball school more than anything else. Win consistently and fans will be there. It's a pretty simple formula and its not unique to VT.
    Right, but the only thing VT has consistently won in over the past 20 years is Football, hence VT being a football school. You could say for the past 5 years it's been a Track & Field/Football/Wrestling school if that floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Right, but the only thing VT has consistently won in over the past 20 years is Football, hence VT being a football school. You could say for the past 5 years it's been a Track & Field/Football/Wrestling school if that floats your boat.
    People intimate that no other sport will be successful at VT because it is a football school....and that's just BS for the reasons I stated.