Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

They can use it to build the VT brand image in several areas important to the University.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    Really? Whats the thinking here?

Then I would say you probably lack experience in promoting a large organization. There are very few opportunities to associate and promote something like this with almost now cost.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCoveHokie View Post
    I would say that it is more or less a meaningless event.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Then I would say you probably lack experience in promoting a large organization. There are very few opportunities to associate and promote something like this with almost now cost.
    Did they have an opportunity to spend some time on a NY sports talk radio program?

I don't know, but that video can be used to promote a lot of things at VT. Associations are why many organizations pay huge money to be associated with other organizations and certain well known people. A video like that can be used over and over again and it can help a sleepy University in Southwest Virginia. Those opportunities don't come along often without big cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Did they have an opportunity to spend some time on a NY sports talk radio program?

Then I would say that you are assuming a lot about me. I do agree that there is not a lot of cost involved. I just don't think you get a lot by sticking Beamer in front of a camera on CNBC for 30 seconds of shared time. Maybe there is a whole lot more to this that I don't know, which is certainly possible, I just haven't heard those details. Since the purpose of the event is to talk about Pitt, ND and Syr joining the ACC, I really doubt that there will be much elaboration of the specific attributes of VT. Just my opinion.

You restated your opinion another way, but did not say you have experience promoting and marketing a large organizaton. Yes I do have experience doing it for large organizations in both the business and sports areas and the facts do not bear out your opinion on this matter. Anyone with experience in this area and that is pro Virginia Tech would be very happy for this opporutnity for Virginia Tech.

Wow I can't believe we are even having this discussion.

Then I would say that you are assuming a lot about me. I do agree that there is not a lot of cost involved. I just don't think you get a lot by sticking Beamer in front of a camera on CNBC for 30 seconds of shared time. Maybe there is a whole lot more to this that I don't know, which is certainly possible, I just haven't heard those details. Since the purpose of the event is to talk about Pitt, ND and Syr joining the ACC, I really doubt that there will be much elaboration of the specific attributes of VT. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I'd prefer they get more aggressive in winning OOC games
    I'm sure Headquarters would too.

You have that backwards

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ce-realignment

Unless you mean that only the SEC is stable, because four of the five major conferences have a GOR. And I am sure they will have one soon, since everyone else is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    I am glad that the ACC is getting more aggressive on the marketing front. However, the reality of the situation is that any conference where schools have to sign a GOR does not seem to be stable.

Not if they back it up by moving the ACC BB tournament to NYC. That would be a major development, and something they really should do. New York is too big a market to cede to the Big 10.

I would say that it is more or less a meaningless event.

I would think the fact that free publicity is the main advantage.

I've had small clients who get jazzed over opening/closing an exchange, but it happens thousands of times across the world and 'large organizations' see it as a one liner on the corporate website - nothing more. Few remember who rings the bell, although famous(infamous) episodes like Zuckerberg leave a mark.

If we can pick up some type of corporate sponsor for an ACC bowl or event (like the ACC Tourney) it could pay off - what better place to attract corporate money than the exchange floor? If we don't - it's a photo op.