Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So how qualified is Mason in everyone's opinion?

Personally I am freaking sick of Weaver taking the easy route of just moving a man up. This has got to end.I'm not saying Mason is a terrible coach, he probably has connections with many of the players and has taught the boys well but whats the harm in looking for another guy?

There has got to be some decent head or assistant coach that would be strongly interested in taking over our team.We are not a terrible, repeat losing record team; we play in the ACC for goodness sakes; and we have a wealth of talent in VA for baseball....Why can't Weaver just go out and look for some one!!!!!
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

No idea. He may be the right guy, but throw him in the mix with other highly qualified candidates, do a damn search and interview everyone, and then make your selection. Don't walk down the hall AGAIN and make an easy hire. Unbelievable. If that's not how it happened, then feel free to explain.

JW had his his W-4 on file, this means he was fully quallified.

Doubt he chose to be asst. at VT over HC offers.

I could be wrong, but the free market usually has a way of working these things out. I'm guessing we are his first (and only) HC job. This doesn't mean he's not qualified, just that no one else has thought he was qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRat View Post
    Personally I am freaking sick of Weaver taking the easy route of just moving a man up. This has got to end.I'm not saying Mason is a terrible coach, he probably has connections with many of the players and has taught the boys well but whats the harm in looking for another guy?

There has got to be some decent head or assistant coach that would be strongly interested in taking over our team.We are not a terrible, repeat losing record team; we play in the ACC for goodness sakes; and we have a wealth of talent in VA for baseball....Why can't Weaver just go out and look for some one!!!!!
    Pat Mason has a reputation for working hard on the recruiting trail. I wouldn't be surprised if Pete Hughes recommended Mason when he told Weaver he was leaving for Oklahoma. IMHO, I think it was Mason's time to finally get an opportunity at becoming a head coach at Tech or somewhere else. The Mason hire likely keeps the team intact and it continues to keep open the Northeastern player pipeline that Hughes established since Mason is from Massachusetts too. Was it another "convenient hire" for Weaver? Yes it was, but if things go south in the next 2 or 3 years, the new AD will hire someone else.

So you know nothing but are sure it's a bad hire.

Where in my post did I say "Mason is a bad hire"? Please do point that out to me cause I missed it. I specifically said that Mason has connections with the current roster players and has taught them well i.e. Hughes speaking well of him all season.
    All I'm saying is after looking at the past down-the-door head coaching hires that Weaver has made have not turn out very well so I want to know why not look around before making an important budding sport decision

Where in my post did I say "Mason is a bad hire"? Please do point that out to me cause I missed it. I specifically said that Mason has connections with the current roster players and has taught them well i.e. Hughes speaking well of him all season.
    All I'm saying is after looking at the past down-the-door head coaching hires that Weaver has made have not turn out very well so I want to know why not look around before making an important budding sport decision
    Sorry...you are declaring JJ and Wolff failures already. My bad...

Yes I am, especially with Wolff, with seeing talent undeveloped. Johnson needs to bring it this year, but thanks for trying to call me out on Mason when I made no ill comment on him. Cheers, better luck next time when all Im asking is for Weaver to look around before making a reactionary decision

Any coach coming to a program right now, with a new President and AD on the horizon would have to be desperate for a job. NOT the kind of guy you would want long term.

I have no idea if Mason is qualified or not. I WILL say that both VCU and UoR recently hired their assistant coaches (for different reasons, both).

I also have no idea if this was just taking the easy way out for Weaver, or if he knew that he'd have a HARD time getting someone to take the job with 2 "short-timers" at the top 2 spots. Very often, a President wants to pick his AD, and an AD wants to pick his coaches. I don't know, but neither does anybody else on this board.

I'll wait to see it play out. I AM very upset that Hughes is gone! IF (and it's a big if) he left because we tried to low-ball him rather than him leaving for a better job, then I WILL be POed myself. Again, I do NOT know, and neither does anyone else...even those who are SURE you do!