Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Keep posting. Ignore the morons who can't face reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    There is a difficulty in posting on the program right now. People don't want to read repeated negativity and there are posters who troll this board whose only goal is to tell knowledgeable posters how wrong they are.

Many of those same posters are particularly sensitive to criticism of Jim Weaver - a few attacked me during the baseball regional for saying that I didn't think Weaver could keep an attractive coach because of the way he runs the athletic department - sure those folks feel really smart today with the Pete Hughes news.

The reality is that VT basketball is in a really tough spot and to put a positive spin on it takes almost blind optimism or a serious level of spin. With that said, I don't want to be someone constantly rehashing the same tired points if what has gone wrong and how we got to this point.

For example I still hear from people all over the country about the fact that JJ was in Bburg for the first love period to attend the spring game and as a result VT didn't have a coach in LA for EYBL while every other ACC was represented. That was a huge deal, but when I brought that to the board it was met with a harsh reaction and more and more defense of Jim Weaver.

Since that time I've tried to be much more reserved because it is tiring to fight those battles. I put a post on The Sabre that I will edit and bring over here soon with info about some of the VA kids that BT has offered recently but beyond just straight fact reporting it's hard to be all that positive about a lot of things. The reaction and feedback I've received suggests that a vocal portion of this board only wants good news and intense VT spin and that's just not me.

What's crazy to me is that while I certainly had plenty of criticisms my opinion that Seth Greenberg was doing a commendable job given the obstacles of the VT job and the man that he had to work for was also met with rage.

There is a difficulty in posting on the program right now. People don't want to read repeated negativity and there are posters who troll this board whose only goal is to tell knowledgeable posters how wrong they are.

Many of those same posters are particularly sensitive to criticism of Jim Weaver - a few attacked me during the baseball regional for saying that I didn't think Weaver could keep an attractive coach because of the way he runs the athletic department - sure those folks feel really smart today with the Pete Hughes news.

The reality is that VT basketball is in a really tough spot and to put a positive spin on it takes almost blind optimism or a serious level of spin. With that said, I don't want to be someone constantly rehashing the same tired points if what has gone wrong and how we got to this point.

For example I still hear from people all over the country about the fact that JJ was in Bburg for the first love period to attend the spring game and as a result VT didn't have a coach in LA for EYBL while every other ACC was represented. That was a huge deal, but when I brought that to the board it was met with a harsh reaction and more and more defense of Jim Weaver.

Since that time I've tried to be much more reserved because it is tiring to fight those battles. I put a post on The Sabre that I will edit and bring over here soon with info about some of the VA kids that BT has offered recently but beyond just straight fact reporting it's hard to be all that positive about a lot of things. The reaction and feedback I've received suggests that a vocal portion of this board only wants good news and intense VT spin and that's just not me.

What's crazy to me is that while I certainly had plenty of criticisms my opinion that Seth Greenberg was doing a commendable job given the obstacles of the VT job and the man that he had to work for was also met with rage.
    The people who blindly defend Jim Weaver are fools, ignore them

I think the majority of us appreciate and information you can give us.

It's unfortunate that some posters always come after you, even going so far as to say you have an agenda against VT. I'm a realist and understand the hole Hokie hoops is in, but even insight into how bad things are is appreciated by myself and others.

I especially enjoy your player evaluations and general observations on the recruiting scene. I always learn a lot from your posts. Thank you for all you bring to this community.

All I can say is that a lot of us appreciate your posts and the info and opinion you provide.

If someone has anything important or interesting to say, there's always going to be people who disagree. Even if you posted totally the opposite, that everything was great and that Weaver is doing a great job overseeing the basketball program -- you'd get people who vehemently disagree.

I know it's easy for me to say this because I don't have enough info or knowledge to ever post something that really pisses a bunch of people off -- but you are never going to avoid disagreement and argument. I hope you don't let it stop you from posting here.
    SteveA

Yes, those trolls are out there. Same ones that constantly defend Weaver. I have no explanation other than to question whether they were ever involved in athletics (coaching or playing), did they attend VT, and whether they are blood related to the people they are defending.

I will add that for every detractor out there, there must be 100 true fans who read every word you and the other gurus write about our program - good or bad. I know things aren't positive right now, but I want to know any information that is available. Are they players making any progress over the summer? Any feedback on Moore as the new assistant coach? What's the timeline on naming a DOBO?

As far as recruiting, anything your or Zeke can provide on state of Virginia recruits, or anyone else VT is watching. Also interested in what other ACC schools are doing on the recruiting trail.

You will not hear any more criticism from me...I have given up on TSL. Nothing but Negative Nellies left. You give them a steady dose of what they want to hear. That outlook is not in my make up. Congratulations on finally getting the one example you needed of JW losing a semi-successful coach in the ACC era. I doubt there was anything that could be done to keep Pete from taking an OK offer, though. Sometimes tradition and established status will win out. Pete left a $100K retention bonus on the table that he would have been entitled to in another 2 years. I did notice that the recent surgery has worked out well for JW, he doesn't shake anymore, even in front of a microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    You will not hear any more criticism from me...I have given up on TSL. Nothing but Negative Nellies left. You give them a steady dose of what they want to hear. That outlook is not in my make up.
    Did it ever occur to you that there is more "negativity" on here because there is more negative aspects of the athletic department, and it is actually reflecting the reality of VT's situation?

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that there is more "negativity" on here because there is more negative aspects of the athletic department, and it is actually reflecting the reality of VT's situation?
    I just can't back your stance up with the numbers...with the possible exception of Men's Basketball, and that coach has not had a chance to prove himself yet. The other programs all appear to be holding steady or on the upswing. Of course, we'd all like them to improve even faster, but that's probably not realistic. Most long-time ACC observers that are not close to VT would tell you they are surprised at VT's success in ACC football, mens basketball, and a number of non-revenue sports in its first 9 seasons in the league. Certainly Miami and BC combined can't hold a candle to what VT has accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    I just can't back your stance up with the numbers...with the possible exception of Men's Basketball, and that coach has not had a chance to prove himself yet. The other programs all appear to be holding steady or on the upswing. Of course, we'd all like them to improve even faster, but that's probably not realistic. Most long-time ACC observers that are not close to VT would tell you they are surprised at VT's success in ACC football, mens basketball, and a number of non-revenue sports in its first 9 seasons in the league. Certainly Miami and BC combined can't hold a candle to what VT has accomplished.
    That's one opinion, there are others, and they are equally as valid...

I really appreciate the info you bring to the board, and completely agree with you on both Weaver and Seth. Having said that, so does almost everyone on these boards....I'm on them every day. There are a vocal minority who didn't like Seth, but Weaver has an even smaller minority of vocal backers.

There are always going to be differing opinions on things, your opinions are clearly shared by most, so if the fact a few disagree bothers you that much, that is a shame, hope it doesn't keep you from posting.