Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Want More Basketball News

I would like to see more discussion about our basketball team. When do the new kids arrive? How are the holdovers doing in the off season? Anyone heard anything? I appreciate any threads, including the mysterious events surrounding Greenberg's dismissal, recruiting obstacles, attendance issues, etc. I want to be optimistic. I bought season tickets out of loyalty, not out of a sense that we are putting all resources into building this program into an NCAA team. I like JJ fine, don't get me wrong, and I believe that he can be successful. I just did not think the SG firing, or the JJ hiring were done in a professional, first class, or common sense manner. As the top BB insiders have said, maybe one day all of this will be cleared up. My one hope for the Hokies is that nothing is ever as bad, or as good, as people say. No one saw our torrid start coming last year, then after it came, no one saw our rapid decline. It is the unknown that allows for all possibilities.

BUMP^^^
    I'm about to give up. Will/CC - if you read this I would recommend to make a strong effort to get your hoops gurus to contribute an article or two a month during the summer to keep the bball fans engaged. No wonder our fan base has no interest in basketball - there is NO information out there for us to grab onto. TSL has an opportunity to capture that avid basketball fan (if they want it), because the other sites (Rivals/ 247) don't have the content either, and don't have the gurus like RevZeke, GCHokie, and CVilleHoops that have always been present on this site.

I applaud TSL for writing the recent baseball articles about next year. I hope that continues, and there is a renewed interest in writing content on the basketball program, current team's progress, and recruiting. To me that is a way to distinguish TSL against your competition.

Maybe the gurus lost their contacts? I understand there may not be a lot of good news out there on recruiting, but I think we would appreciate anything that you can give us.

Quote Originally Posted by ctdc79 View Post
    BUMP^^^
    I'm about to give up. Will/CC - if you read this I would recommend to make a strong effort to get your hoops gurus to contribute an article or two a month during the summer to keep the bball fans engaged. No wonder our fan base has no interest in basketball - there is NO information out there for us to grab onto. TSL has an opportunity to capture that avid basketball fan (if they want it), because the other sites (Rivals/ 247) don't have the content either, and don't have the gurus like RevZeke, GCHokie, and CVilleHoops that have always been present on this site.

I applaud TSL for writing the recent baseball articles about next year. I hope that continues, and there is a renewed interest in writing content on the basketball program, current team's progress, and recruiting. To me that is a way to distinguish TSL against your competition.

Maybe the gurus lost their contacts? I understand there may not be a lot of good news out there on recruiting, but I think we would appreciate anything that you can give us.
    A couple of observations. First, on the uptick on interest in baseball. This season the baseball team was pretty good. Coach Hughes has been a pretty good hire; I have no complaints. Contrast that with the basketball program. There's news, but none of it is good. If you are a paid subscriber, check out recent posts from the RevZeke and CVilleHoops. It ain't very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Noslen View Post
    A couple of observations. First, on the uptick on interest in baseball. This season the baseball team was pretty good. Coach Hughes has been a pretty good hire; I have no complaints. Contrast that with the basketball program. There's news, but none of it is good. If you are a paid subscriber, check out recent posts from the RevZeke and CVilleHoops. It ain't very pretty.
    I am a paid subscriber and a season ticket holder. I would like to see something positive about MBB because I would like to have hope.

You may have baseball complaints after 4:30 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Noslen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ctdc79 View Post
    BUMP^^^

There is a difficulty in posting on the program right now. People don't want to read repeated negativity and there are posters who troll this board whose only goal is to tell knowledgeable posters how wrong they are.

Many of those same posters are particularly sensitive to criticism of Jim Weaver - a few attacked me during the baseball regional for saying that I didn't think Weaver could keep an attractive coach because of the way he runs the athletic department - sure those folks feel really smart today with the Pete Hughes news.

The reality is that VT basketball is in a really tough spot and to put a positive spin on it takes almost blind optimism or a serious level of spin. With that said, I don't want to be someone constantly rehashing the same tired points if what has gone wrong and how we got to this point.

For example I still hear from people all over the country about the fact that JJ was in Bburg for the first love period to attend the spring game and as a result VT didn't have a coach in LA for EYBL while every other ACC was represented. That was a huge deal, but when I brought that to the board it was met with a harsh reaction and more and more defense of Jim Weaver.

Since that time I've tried to be much more reserved because it is tiring to fight those battles. I put a post on The Sabre that I will edit and bring over here soon with info about some of the VA kids that BT has offered recently but beyond just straight fact reporting it's hard to be all that positive about a lot of things. The reaction and feedback I've received suggests that a vocal portion of this board only wants good news and intense VT spin and that's just not me.

What's crazy to me is that while I certainly had plenty of criticisms my opinion that Seth Greenberg was doing a commendable job given the obstacles of the VT job and the man that he had to work for was also met with rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    There is a difficulty in posting on the program right now. People don't want to read repeated negativity and there are posters who troll this board whose only goal is to tell knowledgeable posters how wrong they are.

Many of those same posters are particularly sensitive to criticism of Jim Weaver - a few attacked me during the baseball regional for saying that I didn't think Weaver could keep an attractive coach because of the way he runs the athletic department - sure those folks feel really smart today with the Pete Hughes news.

The reality is that VT basketball is in a really tough spot and to put a positive spin on it takes almost blind optimism or a serious level of spin. With that said, I don't want to be someone constantly rehashing the same tired points if what has gone wrong and how we got to this point.

For example I still hear from people all over the country about the fact that JJ was in Bburg for the first love period to attend the spring game and as a result VT didn't have a coach in LA for EYBL while every other ACC was represented. That was a huge deal, but when I brought that to the board it was met with a harsh reaction and more and more defense of Jim Weaver.

Since that time I've tried to be much more reserved because it is tiring to fight those battles. I put a post on The Sabre that I will edit and bring over here soon with info about some of the VA kids that BT has offered recently but beyond just straight fact reporting it's hard to be all that positive about a lot of things. The reaction and feedback I've received suggests that a vocal portion of this board only wants good news and intense VT spin and that's just not me.

What's crazy to me is that while I certainly had plenty of criticisms my opinion that Seth Greenberg was doing a commendable job given the obstacles of the VT job and the man that he had to work for was also met with rage.
    Is your opinion strictly based on the financial investment in the program from the athletic dept or coaching or both?

I, for one, want to hear it like it is so I appreciate Cville and the Rev's insights. I'm choosing to be optimistic heading into year 2 for JJ b/c I don't think it's fair to declare anything about his tenure yet. December 1st and 7-0 and OK State still really did happen, call it fluke if you want but I think it's an example of what a JJ team with a full gas tank can do. I'm excited about the 6 newcomers plus Adam Smith. But I'm concerned whether they're going to be able to make the plays needed to win ACC games, as FR's or as SR's. I'm interested in seeing JJ unveil a more up tempo/pressing approach, but I'm concerned that that -with the players we have- can win a fair enough share of ACC games. I want to be in the discussion for NCAA tournaments since we've only BEEN to 4 in egads, 33 years now.

One thing I've thought about for a while, and Cville/others please chime in...many folks assume had we just thrown enough money at a Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall, or even a Bobby Lutz, we would have gotten them. I look at it from their perspective: ok, (hypothetically) you're going to give me 600k more a year annually..what about $$$ for my assistants? (VT traditionally has not done so in hoops). If I am a 2-time ACC COY, beat #1 4 times, and continue VT being relevant in the discussion..are you going to unceremoniously dismiss me too? (I believe CSG's dismissal and how it was done rattled some coaches out of wanting anything to do with VT) Plus, your AD is retiring in 3 years..what's to say a new guy won't want his own guy? I believe Cville when he says VT's image in the basketball community is poor, and JW's image as a guy to work for is poor. No offense whatsoever to JJ, b/c again I like him and am anxious to see what he can do, but I think he was the best option available to JW when he hired him.

I too want more news in the offseason (frankly I'm excited about JJ apparently joining Twitter today, I'm so thirsty for more out of the program). But if Cville or Rev are saying that VT's relationship with VA coaches/AAU needs mending..and VT's looked at poorly for JJ or an asst not being in LA for the first live period...I'm fascinated by it but I want that to change. I trust JJ is trying, things that are in his control I mean. I think we all want basketball to be relevant on the national landscape, we're just too cynical and used to it being not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post

Cville, in all seriousness, is this program in as bad a shape as some seem to intimate?
    I know there aren't any 4&5 *s looking seriously at the program, but the recruits I have seen mentioned with VT are the kind also looking at MAAC, Patriot league type programs.
    If you don't want to publicly talk about it on this board, I understand.A few turds that come in here have ruined this room for both you and Kip, as well as others that like basketball information on VT, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by VT One View Post
    I am a paid subscriber and a season ticket holder. I would like to see something positive about MBB because I would like to have hope.
    Seriously. there may not be any to give out.